Question regarding "Integrate - Updates" across different images of install.wim and boot.wim

MaDx90

A typical Windows 10 ISO structure inside image history of NTLite's Source page shows:-
A) Operating System | install.wim
A.1) Windows 10 [Home/Pro/...]
A.2) MS Windows Recovery Environment (x64)
B) Setup/Boot | boot.wim
B.1) MS Windows PreInstallation Environment (x64)
B.2) MS Windows Setup (x64)

So my query is during Applying the changes, there is 1 option called 'Image process queue' under Image Select Tasks...
Q1} Do we have to apply Safe OS Dynamic Update and Latest Cumulative cum Servicing Stack Update to above 4 images (A.1, A.2, B.1 & B.2)??

Windows updates don't apply to boot.wim. WinPE just needs enough driver support to boot, find devices and run Setup.

The ADK toolkit includes optional WinPE packages to add better scripting or remote management. This is the only time you would integrate something besides drivers. If there was any bugs, MSFT would re-release the entire boot.wim instead of patching it.

Windows updates don't apply to boot.wim. WinPE just needs enough driver support to boot, find devices and run Setup.
So I need to apply changes or updates to Windows 10 [Any Edition] of install.wim only!?
Nothing to worry about applying changes to boot.wim and MS Windows Recovery Environment?!!?
I asked the Post #1 question becuz I was modifying Windows 10 installation media using this MS Document
Update Windows installation media with Dynamic Update
By reading the article it means to completely change the whole installation media!

Last edited:
yes if you are not integrating drivers for boot. such as usb 3.0 drivers to install win7.......... then you can only apply changes to edition, and install that iso.

install.wim is about installed windows
boot.wim is about setup process
recorvery etc its written on its name. so don't bother about them...

Another question.. Will removing an existing update from any edition of Windows 10 on which I am currently working on will brick the process during actually installing the OS on PC?

I don't remove updates or work on a edited iso.

always download from uupdump fully updated and work on it.

i don't recommend removing updates from iso, or add updates to edited iso.

Total agreement. NTLite can roll back updates assuming you didn't clean backups (WinSxS) or that was done to the image before you. But the process isn't 100% error free when updates overlap each other.

Better to be safe than sorry.

A typical Windows 10 ISO structure inside image history of NTLite's Source page shows:-
A) Operating System | install.wim
A.1) Windows 10 [Home/Pro/...]
A.2) MS Windows Recovery Environment (x64)
B) Setup/Boot | boot.wim
B.1) MS Windows PreInstallation Environment (x64)
B.2) MS Windows Setup (x64)

So my query is during Applying the changes, there is 1 option called 'Image process queue' under Image Select Tasks...
Q1} Do we have to apply Safe OS Dynamic Update and Latest Cumulative cum Servicing Stack Update to above 4 images (A.1, A.2, B.1 & B.2)??
SafeOS Dynamic Update is just for WinRE (Recovery image inside Install.wim, it will show on the list once Install.wim is loaded).
Unless you're in a company with strict security rules, no need to bother.

Dynamic Update (not SafeOS version), is good to integrate, it will automatically be applied where needed, use it on the main image as listed on the update list.

You can integrate CU to Boot.wim (2nd edition, MS Windows Setup) as well, not .NET updates - you'll get a report at the end which updates didn't integrate, safe to ignore warnings.
Same as for WinRE, boot.wim updating only if necessary or you feel like it, this one is at least active on each setup, only during the first boot phase.

Another question.. Will removing an existing update from any edition of Windows 10 on which I am currently working on will brick the process during actually installing the OS on PC?
If Servicing Stack compatibility was left enabled, and removals were minimal to none, it will be fine, however as other said, not recommended in general, unrelated to NTLite.
I suggest to use DISM Compatible Cleanup option on the Updates page toolbar if you want to trim the older updates and no way to start fresh or don't want to bother with UUP redownload.

You can integrate CU to Boot.wim (2nd edition, MS Windows Setup) as well, not .NET updates - you'll get a report at the end which updates didn't integrate, safe to ignore warnings.
Same as for WinRE, boot.wim updating only if necessary or you feel like it, this one is at least active on each setup, only during the first boot phase.

While NTLite can integrate CU into boot.wim -- it's unnecessary for Setup, and doesn't improve WinPE. As you say, no harm will come from trying, but we should simply skip that step.

A question regarding recovery environment. Say I am updating multiple editions of Windows. So I integrate updates and drivers to all editions but not their recovery counterparts. This will work fine? However If recovery is used then the updated KB's and drivers would not be restored? Where as if integrated to recovery counterparts then in case of recovery, new drivers and new KB's would not become lost?

There's never a need to integrate drivers to WinRE. Whenever WinRE is created the first time (or remade) all available drivers are copied from the installed system. WinRE is customized to your PC's hardware.

Unless you're using BitLocker, adding updates to WinRE is optional. WinRE, much like WinPE, only exists to allow you to run Recovery tools or shell commands. I think it's a lot of hassle if you want to keep WinRE updated on a multi-edition ISO.

There's never a need to integrate drivers to WinRE. Whenever WinRE is created the first time (or remade) all available drivers are copied from the installed system. WinRE is customized to your PC's hardware.

Unless you're using BitLocker, adding updates to WinRE is optional. WinRE, much like WinPE, only exists to allow you to run Recovery tools or shell commands. I think it's a lot of hassle if you want to keep WinRE updated on a multi-edition ISO.
OK so the stock related RE's for example in my case 1.1 2.1 and 3.1 can just be left alone, the updated drivers in the related editions can still be recovered from there if needed? How about the security updates?

So the system after installed, stores it's own RE with an updated catalogue of drivers and updates so to speak? They can still be reference by the already updated edition.wims and therefore the RE counterparts do not need updating?

I would have thought that if RE wasn't updated that in the case of the recovery all slipstreamed drivers and updates would be lost, that's not the case?

Thankyou for explaining

Updating the on-disk Windows Recovery Environment
The on-disk copy of Windows RE can be serviced as part of rollup updates for the OS. Not all rollup updates will service Windows RE.

Unlike the normal OS update process, updates for Windows RE don't directly service the on-disk Windows RE image (winre.wim). Instead, a newer version of the Windows RE image replaces the existing one, with the following contents being injected or migrated into the new image:
  • Boot critical and input device drivers from the full OS environment are added to the new Windows RE image.
  • Windows RE customizations under \Sources\Recovery of the mounted winre.wim are migrated to the new image.
The following contents from the existing Windows RE image are not migrated to the new image:
  • Drivers which are in the existing Windows RE image but not in the full OS environment
  • Windows PE optional components which are not part of the default Windows RE image
  • Language packs for Windows PE and optional components

Reactions: Wod
Back