[Question] Use Windows over network (Not PXE Boot install)

crypticus

Is it possible to use preinstalled windows over network? I mean I would like to connect my nvme to modem or raspberry pi etc. and use that OS from another laptop which doesn't have ssd or hdd...

I know you can install iso etc media over PXE network but this is kind of different. If yes, 2 more question

0) First question.
1) Can I detach ethernet cable after I reach desktop and connect via wireless.
2) Can I use wifi to begin with if I use adapter that identifies as LAN and can connect to wifi before laptop is even turned on. (This will also let me use WOL)

Also if possible and if copied to ram it can be also used by many devices but supplier original os will not get any changes made also laptop will lose OS (I'm ok with that) and more importantly changes (I'm not ok with that), when ram loses power. This case will need preload to ram and would not work at boot without special tools or devices

If all of the above not possible, maybe starting device with any OS and then see home network and boot from it easier?

Last edited:
Running diskless Windows over the network is possible, but performance is terrible on cheap HW.

After PXE booting, you mount your "disk" over iSCSI connections. This isn't recommended unless you're running an embedded app (like a kiosk), or using this PC as a lightweight RDP terminal to work from another PC. During this time the network session must be maintained.

None of this setup is a pre-packaged process, and you have to do this by hand.

Then all of my questions seems possible, but will be slow as a snail even with the latest home HW...

Back