Questions about Windows Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgraunder

The Windows Home license is hardware-linked on my pc. I would like to run Pro after stripping with NTLite. I'm assuming that I would receive the watermark treatment after installing the stripped Windows. Would it be possible to just activate with a generic key? Or is purchasing a Pro license required?

Going from Windows 10 Home to Pro requires a different activation key. You can purchase OEM keys for Pro online fairly inexpensively. Just entering the new key will make your Home automatically upgrade to Pro. If you are starting a fresh install, a Pro activation key will be needed as the Home key will not be accepted. You'll get an invalid key error. If you can live with the watermarks then no key is needed.

Any way to stop the verification of the key? Would not like to support a company like MS. Maybe one day all these little things makes Linux the go-to OS instead.

Last edited:
Not that I'm aware of. The Windows 10 will still function. You just have to deal with all the activation warnings/watermarking and the inability to customize your settings. OEM keys are fairly inexpensive and tied to your motherboard so they are only good for a single activation. I think I paid about $25 for my last one. https://buy-keys.com/product/windows-10-professional/. A full Windows 10 license quite a bit more expensive but it is fully transferable if you change computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back