Remote Desktop feature (23H2)

clarensio

I wanted to permanently delete the Remote Desktop Client.
I exploded
<Features>​
<Feature name="Microsoft-RemoteDesktopConnection">false</Feature>​
</Features>​
but then during final processing NTLite tells me "skipped".
Snap13.jpg

Clearly then by installing the ISO the Desktop Client (not the Server) is up and running.

I was wondering: is this right? Is the RDP Client not uninstallable? Or maybe I can use a script (which I haven't found...) for this in post-setup?

Clearly seen that from windows --> Control Panel I can easily uninstall it... but I wanted to do it in the ISO...

Thank you

For Nuhi
Removing Remote Desktop Client from NTLite seems seemingly impossible.

Operating in this sense from Features à Remote Desktop Connection (deflag option) always results in “Skipped” during the Apply phase, i.e. failure to disable the Feature.
RDP1.png
rdp2.png
Instead, after installing the OS - clearly with Remote Desktop Connection "present" - if you want to uninstall the product from the Control Panel it is possible even if the OS requires the system to be restarted with the display of the uninstallation percentage and continuation upon reboot as if uninstalled some system update (which I personally was not able to define).

Snap14a.jpg
Snap16a.jpg
Snap17a.jpg
Snap18.jpg
Snap20.jpg
continues...

Attachments

• Snap21.jpg
    Snap21.jpg
    40.4 KB
  • Snap19.jpg
    Snap19.jpg
    58.5 KB
  • Snap14a.jpg
    Snap14a.jpg
    149 KB
Snap21.jpg

Snap23.jpg
After the restart, Remote Desktop Connection is no longer present.

Snap24a.jpg

CONCLUSIONS (PERSONAL)

If, in fact, to uninstall Remote Desktop Connection - ALWAYS IT IS POSSIBLE, but it would seem so - it is necessary to operate on some Update present natively (as an App), its best integration for uninstallation is in Components à Compatibility, as for other Apps (Discord , Microsoft Office, Spotify, etc.).
rdp3a.png
Now let's see what Nuhi thinks...

Attachments

• Snap24.jpg
    Snap24.jpg
    167 KB
Sometimes it can be helpfull to search in the column search field of NTL and it same time remove any depending services for the component.
Some parts are'nt covered by "Recommended"!
Haven't had at problem with even teamviewer/ trustviewer:
1699985451029.png

Sometimes it can be helpfull to search in the column search field of NTL and it same time remove any depending services for the component.
Some parts are'nt covered by "Recommended"!
Haven't had at problem with even teamviewer/ trustviewer:
View attachment 10692
Tnx francis11,
I'll try this way...

UPDATE:
I tried with all the settings you highlighted (the Server part had already been optimized) but during processing it keeps skipping and enabling Remote Desktop Connection
Snap25.jpg

Thanks anyway

Last edited:
Some basic troubleshooting is in order.

1. Remote Desktop Connection is not an Optional Feature in W10 or W11 22H2. But NTLite reports it for W11 23H2.

2. Clear NTLite_dism.log, and begin processing.
Code:
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Info                  CBS    Build: 22621.1.amd64fre.ni_release.220506-1250
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Info                  CBS    Session: 9440_8564718 initialized by client DISM Package Manager Provider, external staging directory: (null)
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Info                  CBS    Enumerating Foundation package: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.22621.1, this could be slow
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Info                  CBS    Failed to get internal update: Microsoft-RemoteDesktopConnection in Package: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.22621.1 [HRESULT = 0x800f080c - CBS_E_UNKNOWN_UPDATE]
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=9440 TID=3200 Failed to get the Update through CBS. - CDISMPackage::Internal_OpenFeature(hr:0x800f080c)
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=9440 TID=3200 Failed to get the underlying CBS Feature - CDISMPackage::OpenFeature(hr:0x800f080c)
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Error                 DISM   API: PID=4404 TID=732 Failed to open feature Microsoft-RemoteDesktopConnection - CDisableFeatureCommandObject::InternalExecute(hr:0x800f080c)
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Error                 DISM   API: PID=4404 TID=732 InternalExecute failed - CBaseCommandObject::Execute(hr:0x800f080c)
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Error                 DISM   API: PID=4404 TID=5872 CDisableFeatureCommandObject internal execution failed - DismDisableFeatureInternal(hr:0x800f080c)
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Info                  DISM   API: PID=4404 TID=5872 Input parameters: Session: 2 - DismCloseSessionInternal
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Info                  DISM   API: PID=4404 TID=5872 GetReferenceCount hr: 0x0 - CSessionTable::RemoveSession
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Info                  DISM   API: PID=4404 TID=5872 Refcount for DismSession= 2s 0 - CSessionTable::RemoveSession
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Info                  DISM   API: PID=4404 TID=5872 Successfully enqueued command object - CCommandThread::EnqueueCommandObject
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Info                  DISM   API: PID=4404 TID=732 ExecuteLoop: CommandQueue signaled - CCommandThread::ExecuteLoop
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Info                  DISM   API: PID=4404 TID=732 Successfully dequeued command object - CCommandThread::DequeueCommandObject
2023-11-14 12:08:32, Info                  DISM   API: PID=4404 TID=732 ExecuteLoop: Cancel signaled - CCommandThread::ExecuteLoop

3. On an installed 23H2 image, check if Remote Desktop is a removable Feature. Nope.
dism /Online /Get-Features | findstr Remote

4. Recheck original image, Remote Desktop isn't listed as a pre-installed Update.

5. Turns out, Remote Desktop in 23H2 is now an Installed App (not a Feature). NTLite is wrong in this respect.
Uninstall and reinstall Remote Desktop Connection

You can now uninstall the built-in Remote Desktop Connection app from the Windows operating system. This article shows not only how to uninstall the app, but also how to reinstall it should you change your mind about removing it later.

Important
When you uninstall Remote Desktop Connection, you also become unable to use the RemoteApp and Desktop Connections control panel.

Prerequisites​

In order to uninstall and reinstall Remote Desktop Connection, you must use Windows 11 23H2 or later.

Uninstall Remote Desktop Connection​

To uninstall Remote Desktop Connection:
  1. From the Start menu, search for the Settings app and open it.
  2. Select Apps, then select Installed apps.
  3. Find or search for Remote Desktop Connection, select the three dots to the right-hand side, then select Uninstall.
  4. Confirm you want to uninstall the app by selecting Uninstall.
  5. Restart your machine if the app prompts you in order to complete the installation.

Garlin, as always I will never stop thanking you but the problem, in my opinion, is another:

- why does NTLite, despite the clickable option, fail to remove/disable Remote Desktop (skipped)?

As I had already said, from the operating OS installed (and also from W10, W11 22H2 and W11 23H2), beyond the required reboot (a symptom of some internal update package to be uninstalled) the thing works perfectly!!!

Then we also know that soon MS itself will add RDP to the apps that the user will be able to uninstall independently...

Then I will also try what you suggested but, again, I think the problem should be investigated in NTLite

This is for clarity.

I'm not nuhi, he doesn't share his source code with anyone.

Having RDP Client as an installed app is more problematic, because DISM won't service it. This is just new wrinkle, and you should calm down until another solution arrives. There's a "mstsc /uninstall" command line, but it's missing /quiet or /silent mode so you will be asked if you wanted to restart the system.

Update:
There's a "mstsc /uninstall /noPromptBeforeRestart" command line which is silent, but you can't delay the reboot. Obviously that's problematic to run from Post-Setup, or anywhere outside of a specialize pass.

Last edited:
I'm not nuhi, he doesn't share his source code with anyone.

Having RDP Client as an installed app is more problematic, because DISM won't service it. This is just new wrinkle, and you should calm down until another solution arrives. There's a "mstsc /uninstall" command line, but it's missing /quiet or /silent mode so you will be asked if you wanted to restart the system.

Update:

There's a "mstsc /uninstall /noPromptBeforeRestart" command line which is silent, but you can't delay the reboot. Obviously that's problematic to run from Post-Setup, or anywhere outside of a specialize pass.
Forgive me all if I may have given the impression of being "angry" etc., it wasn't my intention (it could perhaps be the translator's "fault"...).

I appreciate EVERY little effort to help me try to solve every problem I report!!!

In this case I also reported this problem to Nuhi... we'll see later.

My aim, as a user of NTLite, has been, is and will always be to improve this wonderful software!!!Now, in this case, having noted that NTLite, in Feature --> Remote Desktop Connenction allows you to deflag this app (= delete it) but that despite the deflag this action does not produce results (Skipped), it would seem obvious to me that the intent is:
1) try to resolve the impediments (if possible)
2) possibly make this "item" non-modifiable since it produces no effects.

I apologize again to everyone if I gave the wrong impression and while waiting for Nuhi to provide us with answers, I confirm that I will not add any further comments.

Thank you all

I wanted to permanently delete the Remote Desktop Client.
I exploded
<Features>​
<Feature name="Microsoft-RemoteDesktopConnection">false</Feature>​
</Features>​
but then during final processing NTLite tells me "skipped".
View attachment 10660

Clearly then by installing the ISO the Desktop Client (not the Server) is up and running.

I was wondering: is this right? Is the RDP Client not uninstallable? Or maybe I can use a script (which I haven't found...) for this in post-setup?

Clearly seen that from windows --> Control Panel I can easily uninstall it... but I wanted to do it in the ISO...

Thank you
Interesting, that feature is actually an app, not listed under Windows Optional Features.
See here how to uninstall in the meantime, I'll see about adding this transparently to Live support, not sure about the Image.

Thanks.

Interesting, that feature is actually an app, not listed under Windows Optional Features.
See here how to uninstall in the meantime, I'll see about adding this transparently to Live support, not sure about the Image.

Thanks.
Tnx Nuhi,
I'm waiting to hear from you (new version).

In my opinion this is where it should go...

1700143809718.png

And in any case this "item" should be made non-modifiable (at present) since it has no effectsSnap15.png

Last edited:
Back