RESOLVED: SMB not working

gilius

This has cost me about 1 month of trial and error so far to try to figure out why I cannot browse the c drive from another computer:
\\192.168.1.159\c$

Working
lumia.xml

Not working
nosmb.xml

Both are virtually identical in terms of components!

What significant difference exists in the configuration that might explain why I can browse network shares remotely using lumia.xml - but not nosmb.xml?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi gilius,

the suspects:

c$ as in admin shares? Those are not shared by default across the network as far as I know, or mine also doesn't work :)
I can access it from the host machine even over its IP.

<c>firewall 'Windows Firewall'</c> is removed on the working one, maybe disable Firewall after install or allow file sharing ports (445) on the non-working one.
Plus maybe it stops protecting the admin shares.

<Feature name="Browser.InternetExplorer~~~~0.0.11.0">false</Feature>
May remove much more as it's a package removal, and everything is tied to IE, but also may not make a difference if it was skipped during processing which it sometimes does

By default you can browse the C drive of any Windows computer connected on the same network - but you will get prompted for credentials. I haven't made any custom shares for this test - it's just basic SMB connectivity I am testing here.

Lumia.xml prompts for password but nosmb.xml does not prompt!

Since the firewall is removed on the working one then that shouldn't matter because it's the non-working one (nosmb) that has a problem?
Edit: oh you think I should disable the firewall to make it work!? I can try but don't think it will help because it's not a problem on full Win10.

OK I will test that feature you found (IE package) to see if I can eliminate the issue - but is there anything else it could be?

OK, on second thoughts - well spotted - soooo....
first thing I am testing is windows firewall removal
Second test: browser.internet explorer addition

Damn it was the firewall!!!! I feel like an idiot now... how could I have missed that... I thought c drive was shared by default.

I award nuhi a trophy for attention to detail!

1576704162336.png

Back