Scheduled Tasks (Restart Manager)

Necrosaro

Hopefully this is just a quick question and answer thing. Is there a reason as to why I have 20 items in the restart manager located in the Scheduled Tasks? I don't know what these do or if they should be removed? They are just a bunch of random letters and numbers that don't make any sense to me.

Looking it up it shows

The primary reason software installation and updates require a system restart is that some of the files that are being updated are currently being used by a running application or service. Restart Manager enables all but the critical applications and services to be shut down and restarted . This frees the files that are in use and allows installation operations to complete. It can also eliminate or reduce the number of system restarts that are required to complete an installation or update.

The Restart Manager stops applications in the following order, and after the applications have been updated, restarts applications that have been registered for restart in the reverse order.

1. GUI applications
  2. Console applications
  3. Windows services
  4. Windows explorer

Scheduled tasks listed in NTLite? on the live system? Did you recently install updates, or .NET?

Scheduled tasks listed in NTLite? on the live system? Did you recently install updates, or .NET?
Yes Ntlite on a live system. No updates have been installed since 22H2 due to having them disabled. No .net installs for awhile either. I will try to get a pic later tonight to show a bit more of what I mean.

Garlin I wonder if you see anything in your install in the same area in Ntlite(scheduled tasks,restart manager)?

There's nothing to worry about.

1. Windows has "tailored" your live system with per-user instances of sync services. Sorry, your Windows is not MIB ("Mint in Box") because you've logged on at least one time.
Code:
C:\Windows\system32>sc query | findstr c47d5
SERVICE_NAME: cbdhsvc_c47d5
DISPLAY_NAME: Clipboard User Service_c47d5
SERVICE_NAME: CDPUserSvc_c47d5
DISPLAY_NAME: Connected Devices Platform User Service_c47d5
SERVICE_NAME: OneSyncSvc_c47d5
DISPLAY_NAME: Sync Host_c47d5
SERVICE_NAME: PimIndexMaintenanceSvc_c47d5
DISPLAY_NAME: Contact Data_c47d5
SERVICE_NAME: UnistoreSvc_c47d5
DISPLAY_NAME: User Data Storage_c47d5
SERVICE_NAME: UserDataSvc_c47d5
DISPLAY_NAME: User Data Access_c47d5
SERVICE_NAME: WpnUserService_c47d5
DISPLAY_NAME: Windows Push Notifications User Service_c47d5

2. Create a new local account, and logon. Now count how many "services" there are.

3. Should you worry? No, each sync service has its parent (master) instance, and Windows tracks everyone's private copy. Restart Manager uses this data to know which services need shutting down & restarting after Windows updates, or app installs.

Back