SDL3.dll issue - Counter-Strike 2 crash when opening

Jay10

Hi All,

I've been using NTLite for a while.

I have my own preset I have been using for a long time with no issues, however I recently tried to play counterstrike 2 which appears to crash when opening.

when it does this it creates an mdmp file which I have tried to debug with WinDBG.

It looks to me like the issue is with SDL3.dll

I have reinstalled my operating system (Win 11 standard install) to try fix and it is fine until I apply my NTLite preset.

I am unsure what I am removing that might be causing this issue - is anyone able to assist?

Please see attachments for the output of the MDMP file debug & my NTLite preset.

I did try to attach the MDMP file itself but I don't think its allowed.

Really hope someone can help me figure out whats wrong here o_O

Attachments

• mdmp_debug_output.txt
    15.5 KB
  • My_Custom_List.xml
    26.6 KB
SDL is a high-level framework for interfacing with audio & video formats (codecs) and input devices. I would check your preset, and try restoring all the missing audio components you removed.

This crash dump refers to an access violation, somewhere in the DX11 stack. That's either a bad driver, or a required codec or function is missing. As you say a clean Windows works, a missing device or library component is probably the culprit.

SDL is a high-level framework for interfacing with audio & video formats (codecs) and input devices. I would check your preset, and try restoring all the missing audio components you removed.

This crash dump refers to an access violation, somewhere in the DX11 stack. That's either a bad driver, or a required codec or function is missing. As you say a clean Windows works, a missing device or library component is probably the culprit.
is it possible to restore components with NTLite? is there some documentation about this somewhere?

I have already read through my preset (the one attached in the post above) and I don't see anything that I would think to be the cause, but perhaps I can try "reverting" through NTLite and removing one at a time to find the culprit.

You have a licensed copy of NTLite, and can use Host Refresh. Host Refresh is essentially a "repair reinstall" where you load a clean ISO & your preset, before restoring selected components on the live host.

How to return components or install cumulative updates
Ah ok, so use host refresh & then edit my preset with notepad or something to remove everything containing the word "audio" for example, then load it and apply to the new/refreshed install?

Thanks so much for the help!

You don't need to edit the preset. Host Refresh will load the old preset, and present a Components list with the matching check boxes. I would start with the audio features, since that's more likely to overlap DX11 & SDL. Then move on to device management features.

Code:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup" /v AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Thanks,

Unfortunately that didnt work - I also found a few of your old posts advising some settings in ntlite which I changed but also didn't have any luck with that.

In the end I enabled TPM in the bios to upgrade and disabled again after but would be handy to know of a workaround for future.

I applied a stock Win11 ISO without any preset list but quite a few things were instantly buggy (Settings app wouldn't open & also MS Store).

Before applying my preset, I unticked all the audio related things and CS appears to be working - Once I can pinpoint which thing caused it ill update the thread incase someone finds it in a google search.

Ty again for all your help!

+nuhi
Doesn't the host upgrade bypass work for Host Refresh? Or do you need one of those zero-length appraiserres.dll hacks?

I think this was likely an issue with some audio related component that I removed, I unticked all of those before reapplying my preset to a standard install and the issue went away... I have since removed all the audio components again and it appears to be working still... it did stop working a couple days ago and I reapplied my same preset and it resolved itself.

I've really struggled slimming down Win11 compared to previous versons of the OS with regards to stability... kind of want to go back to windows 10 but feels bad to do so.

Now I'm having some issues with machine locking/rebooting very ocassionally.

I just want something as barebones as possible while retaining the new calculator/photo app/snip & sketch & 3rd party installed app compatibility (don't care for any hypervisor things or vpn/windows update etc)

Back