[SOLVED] Cannot Restore, Remove, or Reload Windows Image

TylerDurden

Hi all,

I am using NTLite trial version to try to create an updated version of Windows 7 for myself.
I did some testing and loaded a Windows 7 installation DVD image onto my hard disk by just copying all files on the DVD onto the hard disk.
I used that with NTLite and added a bunch of updates.
Then, to save space, I removed a bunch of not wanted Windows 7 versions, like "Home Edition", etc.

Well, the resulting image file was still way too big, like 5.5GB.

So wanted to start the process from scratch.
I wanted to load the Windows 7 installation DVD image again with NTLite, expecting it to give me the full selection of available Windows versions again. You know, "Home Edition", "Professional", Ultimate", etc. But anytime I try, NTLite does not give me the full selection of all Windows versions in the Windows image anymore. It keeps showing ONLY the version that I did not delete in my first attempt. Like, HEY! I want to start new!!!

Before I "removed" all versions except "Professional".
Now I want to maybe do a "Home" or "Ulitmiate" edition, but I can't get NTLite to display the other versions in the image again.

I tried everything. I clicked "Forget" on any line, item and file in NTLite.
I deleted all the Presets.
I completely unistalled NTLite, with all preferences, and re-installed. it.

No matter what I do, I cannot get NTLite to display all versions of Windows in the Windows Image that I copied to my hard disk anymore. And I'm sure NTLite didn't delete actual components of the Windows Image, because I set all file properties to read-only.
Considering that even a full uninstall of NTLite does not resolve the problem, obviously, NTLite stores some selection choices in hidden Registry Keys.

Does anyone know where the hidden NTLite registry keys are so I can actually restart the process from scratch and get the full list of available Windows versions again?

Regards,
TD

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am using NTLite trial version to try to create an updated version of Windows 7 for myself.
I did some testing and loaded a Windows 7 installation DVD image onto my hard disk by just copying all files on the DVD onto the hard disk.
I used that with NTLite and added a bunch of updates.
Then, to save space, I removed a bunch of not wanted Windows 7 versions, like "Home Edition", etc.

Well, the resulting image file was still way too big, like 5.5GB.

So wanted to start the process from scratch.
I wanted to load the Windows 7 installation DVD image again with NTLite, expecting it to give me the full selection of available Windows versions again. You know, "Home Edition", "Professional", Ultimate", etc. But anytime I try, NTLite does not give me the full selection of all Windows versions in the Windows image anymore. It keeps showing ONLY the version that I did not delete in my first attempt. Like, HEY! I want to start new!!!

Before I "removed" all versions except "Professional".
Now I want to maybe do a "Home" or "Ulitmiate" edition, but I can't get NTLite to display the other versions in the image again.

I tried everything. I clicked "Forget" on any line, item and file in NTLite.
I deleted all the Presets.
I completely unistalled NTLite, with all preferences, and re-installed. it.

No matter what I do, I cannot get NTLite to display all versions of Windows in the Windows Image that I copied to my hard disk anymore. And I'm sure NTLite didn't delete actual components of the Windows Image, because I set all file properties to read-only.
Considering that even a full uninstall of NTLite does not resolve the problem, obviously, NTLite stores some selection choices in hidden Registry Keys.

Does anyone know where the hidden NTLite registry keys are so I can actually restart the process from scratch and get the full list of available Windows versions again?

Regards,
TD
are you using the iso that has had the other versions removed by any chance ?

IF you are, then the other versions cannot be restored. you are better off fresh iso and start again

Hi Taosd,

Thanks for the help.
Yes, I was using the copied ISO files of the ISO that I had used before.
I was under the impression that original source ISO files would not be hampered with or deleted or manipulated by NTLite, but only read for usage and copying. WRONG!

What I now found is that the original folder with the original ISO files was 5.5 GB in size instead of its original 3.2 GB. So I took a closer look and I found many files that were added, deleted or manipulated by NTLite... :-(
I don't want to be a jerk here, but this seems to be quite a messy approach to program an application. Usually you use a source, create temporary files and then an output. You never *ever" manipulate or destroy the sources unless that's specifically what you want to do.
Trying to create a new .ISO file from an original source should not destroy the original source, in my view. - But maybe there are other uses of NTLite where you want to do that?

Anyway, problem solved.
I deleted the source ISO files, put in the Win 7 Install DVD and copied the files once again onto my hard disk and now everything works as new again: My folder's back to 3.2 GB in size as it should be, and NTLite gives me all the options / Windows versions like the original install DVD again. Shesh, every time you want to start from scratch you have delete all your source files and copy them back onto your hard disk!! :-/

Anyhow, thanks. I'll play some more with this program, trying to create a good usable install disc of the best Windows there ever was and probably will be for a long long time (looks like Win 11 is even worse than 10!).

Cheers,
TD

Thanks for your feedback.
The point is people usually need to copy the files from the ISO which are inherently read-only, as they either mount/copy or extract from them.
So then you already have a copy of installation files, it would seem unnecessary to copy it one more time, unless you want to delete the original ISO for some reason.

That said, I do agree with you that it's not clearly mentioned in advance.
It's planned to support ISOs on the Source page as the read-only sources and sync up edit copy etc.

As to many files added by the application, I would like to know which files were added, there is just the log and the preset which can be turned off on the Apply page options (don't backup log and preset option).

Hmm. I remember seeing two files I think in two different folders at a very, very quick and superficial glance. Can't remember what they were, one was fairly big. The funny thing is, they boosted the Win Image files directory total size of about 3.2 GB to like 5.5 GB.
I was so angry with having lost several hours over this that I already deleted it and must reconstruct everything. I assume it will do this with every run of NTlite, so no biggie. I'll try to get back on you on this.

Ok, nuhi, I checked everything and assembled a little list for you.
Here's all the changes NTLite does to the source Windows 7 Image files directory:
------------------------------------------
Windows 7 Image containing directory is now 4.5GB instead of 3.1 GB

In top level directory, new:
-------------------------
- New file: "Auto-saved ce8ab31a.xml" (14 KB)
- New file: "NTLite.log" (81 KB)

"sources" directory:
-------------------------
- New directory: "$OEM$" (4.39 GB)
- Missing file: "install_Windows 7 HOMEBASIC.clg" (959 KB)
- Missing file: "install_Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM.clg" (978 KB)
- Missing file: "install_Windows 7 ULTIMATE.clg" (981 KB)
- New file "install.wim" (4,185,296 KB)

New directory "$OEM$":
----------------------
- New directroy "$$"

New directory "$$":
-------------------
- New directory "Setup"

New directory "Setup":
----------------------
- New directory "Files"
- New directory "Scripts"
- New directory "Updates"

New directory "Files":
----------------------
- 7 Added .exe files (Visual C++ Runtimes + .NET v.4.8) and 1 added .bat file

New directory "Scripts":
------------------------
- New file "SetupComplete.cmd" (1 KB)

New directory "Updates":
------------------------
- New file "windows6.1-kb2603229-x64.msu" (194 KB)

------------------------------------------

Assembling this and getting back to you took me about half an hour.
Can I get a free license for this? :)))

Really: I think you should correct this and *leave source files darn well unmolested!!*. ;-)
Here's my reasoning:
Most newbies like me, before they buy your software, will download the trial version and see if they can create a toasty good install DVD for their favorite Windows, like Win7.
Then, naturally, they will run into the "hammer" and find the new image won't fit on a DVD.
So guess what they do? They will have to try again and again, chopping off this and that, making this and that tweak, etc., until they finally arrive at an ISO file that no bigger than 4.5 GB and fits on a DVD. This will likely take like 4 or 5 tries.
Naturally, by common convention, EVERYONE assumes that source files are not modified or screwed up, so everyone will try to use the same Windows Image source files again.
And then, they will be surprised that all hell breaks loose.
That's not good advertising for people to buy the full version. You should instill confidence in people who are new to your software. If they run into trouble right out the bat because of messy programming like this, that's not good. And really, it's not so hard to create a new directory, store all those new files in it or in the temporary application data folder, and not delete any files (like the other windows versions). Instead of deleting .cfm files of unwanted Windows versions, why not just store the user's selection in memory and leave those .cfm files darn well alone? ;-) That's what memory is for! ;-)
It just seems really crude and sloppy to actually delete and change source files as if otherwise you couln't remember what a user wants. You can handle all that more elegantly by using memory for selections and creating files in temporary directories for what you can't just store in memory.

Those are my 2 cents. ;-)

Otherwise keep up the (hopefully) good work (I haven't been able to create a working image yet, after 2-3 days of working and learning it ;-)

Kind regards,
TD

Last edited:
until they finally arrive at an ISO file that no bigger than 4.5 GB and fits on a DVD
im going to be pedantic here but Nero reports that you only have 4.3GB usable once a dvd is formatted.
to anyone reading this thread that still use dvd's for installation it will matter.

As a newb, you may not realize Windows (through DISM) backs up all the previous package files in case you need to revert an update.

Read up on this board, there's lots of examples on configuring NTLite not to save the WinSxS backup folders, or cleaning them using DISM. There's probably a good amount of recoverable space, if you're using a full update list.

Clanger:
Yes, that's exactly the problem. That's why newbies have to try many times until they finally eventually might arrive at an image that is small enough to burn to a DVD. And if they need to try several times, most people will not assume that NTLite screws up the original source Windows installation files. My point was that NTLite should store any temporary working files (and make not modifications) not in the folder of the source files, but somewhere more sensible.

garlin:
I'm using the free version of NTLite or trial version and the option to delete backup files is blocked in that version.
Also I'm not sure how many backup files there are? I'm not using an installed version of Windows 7, but raw files copied from an installation DVD image.

winsxs backup? Explorer reports it at 500+mb although it may be smaller due to hard links.
there is quite a bit you can do to slim an image and its easy to keep an iso (well)under the 4.3gb limit even with an updated captured wim.

Last edited:
Back