[SOLVED] LTSC 1809 Settings, Display settings don't work

nevil

Hey, I'm trying to strip down and optimize 1809 LTSC for gaming. I've already done that with 1607, no problems, crazy performance but I also want it a system that is RTX ready. I used the same XML file I used for 1607 and "Display settings" and "Personalize" option do not work.
The error says "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page."
The "Settings" app doesn't even open.

I was wondering if I stripped anything that might cause the issue. I attached my NTlite change log and how the error looks like.
Let me know if you have any ideas what might cause the issue.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• NTLite.log
    63.8 KB
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.9 KB
WIM error_23: 11 :??
Removing: Out-of-box Experience (OOBE) : how you managed to deploy this wim & succeeded to final desktop screen after installation.
Removing: VCLibs.140.00 :??
Removing: Action Center :??

UWP (non-Win32) apps require the following pre-requisites:
Code:
NET.Native.Framework
NET.Native.Runtime
UI.Xaml
VCLibs

Load your preset, go to Components page and click on the Compatibility icon. Uncheck/recheck "Modern App Support" to restore what you're missing. NTLite doesn't test for compatibility problems when you use a saved preset.

WIM error_23: 11 :??
That was used to detect an ESD file and convert it to WIM.
Error 11 (ERROR_BAD_FORMAT) is what Windows WIM engine returns when trying to open an image for mounting, if it's an ESD.
But I believe this can be skipped now and pre-detect (cannot rely solely on an extension), so will see about removing it, thanks.

As for display settings, as garlin said, we need a preset to test.
Best is to keep OOBE compatibility enabled first, that solves most issues, to save time.

That was used to detect an ESD file and convert it to WIM.
Error 11 (ERROR_BAD_FORMAT) is what Windows WIM engine returns when trying to open an image for mounting, if it's an ESD.
But I believe this can be skipped now and pre-detect (cannot rely solely on an extension), so will see about removing it, thanks.

As for display settings, as garlin said, we need a preset to test.
Best is to keep OOBE compatibility enabled first, that solves most issues, to save time.
Please attach your preset (instead of NTLite.log). Thanks.
I kept OOBE compability and the same issue with settings still apears. That's my XML file. Maybe I should check "Modern app support", what do you guys think??

Attachments

• Auto-saved 1f029159.xml
    40 KB
compare yours preset with this working preset for LTSC2019 Updated image :

Script to compare two presets by Garlin :

Bat script to execute powershell script by garlin :

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed LTSC 2019 with your preset, Control Panel worked for me. Just remember when you switch Windows versions, the mapping of old components to new components isn't always one-to-one.

If you're still having problems, consider running two NTLite passes.
Pass 1 - Load a clean image, add all the Windows updates; and integrate.
Pass 2 - Load your preset, drop all updates from the config; and apply.

BTW - There's no advantage to deleting the default power plans but if you do, use the alias shortcuts:
powercfg -delete SCHEME_MAX
powercfg -delete SCHEME_BALANCED
powercfg -delete SCHEME_MIN

compare yours preset with this working preset for LTSC2019 Updated image :

Script to compare two presets by Garlin :

Bat script to execute powershell script by garlin :
Installed LTSC 2019 with your preset, Control Panel worked for me. Just remember when you switch Windows versions, the mapping of old components doesn't always carry over one-to-one.

BTW - There's no advantage to deleting the default power plans, but if you do use the alias shortcuts:
Installed the preset from @|====| but the same error. I found out that updates on the config bug the settings panel. But I need to update cause I want the iso to be faceit compatible. Any ideas how to fix that? Or maybe I should try older update, what do you guys think?

Anti-cheat apps are loath to formally list requirements, because they're afraid of users bypassing their protection schemes.
Faceit has little to comment:
Make sure you apply the latest security updates from Windows update.
Windows Enterprise LTSC versions are not meant for gaming PCs, therefore we do not usually support them, although the most recent LTSC builds should still work without any issues.

Like I said, try the two-pass method with LTSC's current updates list. More things tend to break when NTLite performs a single pass, especially with a lot of custom removals.

Installed LTSC 2019 with your preset, Control Panel worked for me. Just remember when you switch Windows versions, the mapping of old components doesn't always carry over one-to-one.

BTW - There's no advantage to deleting the default power plans, but if you do use the alias shortcuts:
What do you mean by "drop all the updates from the config"?

Load your preset, clear the Updates list and save it again. Since you're applying the same updates in Pass 1, we don't them in Pass 2.

There's no advantage to deleting the default power plans, but if you do use the alias shortcuts:
Create a custom power plan and set that as active. Handy to keep the default plans at their default settings incase you mess up with your custom plan. If you are fluent with the command line use that to create a custom plan, if you prefer a gui QuickCpu has an excellent Power Plan tool built in.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm trying to strip down and optimize 1809 LTSC for gaming. I've already done that with 1607, no problems, crazy performance but I also want it a system that is RTX ready. I used the same XML file I used for 1607 and "Display settings" and "Personalize" option do not work.

Let me know if you have any ideas what might cause the issue.

Try to process the image in 'stages'.

Don't use the Post-setup and Registry files pages (clear after loading the preset).

Reset to default the Features, Settings and Services pages.

1.- Updates integration and backup updated image (creating an iso should be ok instead of copy the image folder).
2.- Apply the Features changes and Remove the Components to the previous image and test if the issue is there.
3.- If everything is fine, apply Settings and Services tweaks to the previous image.
4.- Add the Registry tweaks if everything is going fine and test once again.
5.- Finnish adding all the Post-Setup stuff.

After stage 2, start creating an ISO image for testing, probably the settings issue is related to the reg tweaks added if not any of the removed components related to (modern) apps.

Since garlin states that the preset on its own works, then most probably the issue is in the 3rd party REG tweaks, or even installed apps.
As others stated, try without those, pretend like you're only testing the preset when claiming that the issue is in it.

We're here if you isolate the problem, or confirm that it's due to NTLite directly.

Thanks.

Try to process the image in 'stages'.

Don't use the Post-setup and Registry files pages (clear after loading the preset).

Reset to default the Features, Settings and Services pages.

1.- Updates integration and backup updated image (creating an iso should be ok instead of copy the image folder).
2.- Apply the Features changes and Remove the Components to the previous image and test if the issue is there.
3.- If everything is fine, apply Settings and Services tweaks to the previous image.
4.- Add the Registry tweaks if everything is going fine and test once again.
5.- Finnish adding all the Post-Setup stuff.

After stage 2, start creating an ISO image for testing, probably the settings issue is related to the reg tweaks added if not any of the removed components related to (modern) apps.
This solution works. Thanks everybody for helping. Btw when is night mode for NTlite and for the forum coming? nuhi

Tool has the dark color scheme in File - Settings, wish it was set automatically by default if the host OS is.
However, the site and the forum need special themes, one day, already noted.

Dark theme for the forum might be nice. dont know about the tool, havnt opened it to change colour schemes in ages.
have you tried brave?
brave have 3 design options: current windows, dark and light
Settings - Design (or Appearance) - Brave colors (or alike) Don't really know how it is in the localized languages.

Attachments

• Brave night mode settings~01.png
    Brave night mode settings~01.png
    81.6 KB
Brave browser? no i havnt tried it. played around with FF settings/themes but a lot of pages still show up white :(.
having trouble with windows themes, having trouble getting into deviantart, windows dark themes are usually gaming orientated, a picnic in a coal mine, they add/need a lot of other files added or they cost. soldiering on for the time being.

Back