[Solved on its own] Win11 settings app crashes after changing the workgroup

Alt68er

Hello,

I just installed an NTLited version of Win11 (21H2 22000.138 with no updates up to now) and startet setting it up to my needs.
At a certain point I wanted to open the settings app and its window opened with the centered settings icon and after 1-2 seconds it closes.
I reinstalled Windows and repeated all the settings done before but after each setting I tried to start the settings app until I found that the crash happens after having changed the workgroup from WORKGROUP to another name which is used on all other machines in my home net.
I found out that I can change the workgroup while the computer is offline (phusically disconnected) and the settings app continues working. But unfortunately only until I reconnect the computer. Upon next opening of the settings app it crashes again.

I enclose hereto my current NTLite settings file and kindly ask you to check which of the settings might be reason for this crashing of the settings app.

It would be great to get some help of you experienced guys and I thank you soooo much in advance.

Peter

Attachments

• Win11 01dc017e ohne user.xml
    31.9 KB
Nothing obvious. What happens when you change workgroup to a non-shared name like TEST?

Thanks for your fast answer.

I found a way (via the old control panel) to change the name back to WORKGROUP. That worked fine. And then I tried it again with the same name (APATHOME) and now it works fine....

Sometimes Windows is a strange system.

Sorry that I thought the feason to be NTLite.

Back