(Solved) Updates Folder Not Being Created In $OEM$

My2GirlsDad

Nuhi, with the recent changes to the way you are handling POSTSETUP items the Updates folder is not being created when there are updates that can not be integrated. The entries are added to setupcomplete file but the Updates folder is not being created.

Thank you again for this great program. Appreciate all you do.

M2GD

Hi,

I see, the change is that files are now in the image itself, right-click loaded image, Explore Mount Directory
\Windows\Setup\Updates

Effect is the same, this is just in the image.
Seems like there is a need for a separate option for these updates and the script itself, is it inside or outside of the image.

Functionally it should be ok as is, so no need to wait for that.

Thank you, will post here when the option is done.

Thanks for the response, nuhi.

Yes, the updates are inside the image but are under the files folder not the updates folder. the setupcomplete.cmd is looking for them under the updates folder.

Additionally, all the other POSTSETUP items are outside the image in the root directory $OEM$ folder in the files folder. My question, Are these items suppose to be inside or outside the image?

Hope this gives some clarity for you.

M2GD

Please try the new build 9819, made it to default Updates where setupcomplete.cmd is.
Could not replicate that they were ever in Files, let me know if that still happens, in which case I need a preset to test.

nuhi, I tried build 9819 and here is where we are at now.

The update, which can not be integrated, is copied to $OEM$\$$\Setup\Files folder. An entry is added to the setupcomplete.cmd which is
"wusa.exe"%WINDIR%\Setup\Updates\Windows6.1-KBXXXXXXX-x64.msu"/quiet /norestart".

So either the update has to be copied to $OEM$\$$\Setup\Updates folder or the setupcomplete.cmd needs to be changed to
"wusa.exe"%WINDIR%\Setup\Files\Windows6.1-KBXXXXXXX-x64.msu"/quiet /norestart".

Hope this clears things up and again thanks for your quick response and all your help.

M2GD

Thank you, but that differs from what I’ve seen.
Was that update already in the image?
That would explain it, and it could be fixed, just need a confirmation.

If not, please DM me the preset causing that, I would like to replicate.

nuhi, I believe there is a misunderstanding here and I might not have explained the issue correctly so I will try again.

These updates are included with a large number of updates when you "add" them to image. In the past before you reworked the POSTSETUP portion NTLite would copy them, the updates that couldn't be integrated, to the $OEM$ folder and add an entry to the setupcomplete.cmd file.
These updates are not already in the image as this is an untouched image.

I hope I explained this more succinctly. Again this did work correctly before the last few versions.

M2GD

The explanation fits what was tested, except the part that it is about large number of updates.
Expected is only 2 in Windows 7, nothing more, two :)

Tested adding Windows 7 updates to the Updates page, and indeed only 2 were added to the Post-setup.
Files ended up in the expected \sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Updates
windows6.1-kb2533552-x64_0ba5ac38d4e1c9588a1e53ad390d23c1e4ecd04d
windows6.1-kb2603229-x64_aea29b57253c8f271d99b76f09839dbf1c0a7f86.msu

SetupComplete also had corrects paths %WINDIR%\Setup\Updates.

Also tried using the Post-setup page directly for a few update files manually, the files were then in the temporary Setup\FiIles as expected.

If it's Win10 or 11, there should be no Post-setup updates, so I wonder what is going on here and would like to replicate it.
Please provide a preset, could be that previous version saved it somehow wrong - that's a valuable file then.
Any steps that come to mind to trigger many Post-setup updates, or a wrong location of the update file.

Thanks.

nuhi, I've done some additional testing and found out the problem here.

The explanation fits what was tested, except the part that it is about large number of updates.
Expected is only 2 in Windows 7, nothing more, two
I only meant that I added a large number of updates but you are correct there are only 2 that are expected in \sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Updates.

So, for this test I only added two updates (KB2533552 and KB2603229) and nothing in Post-Setup with the following result:

Without POSTSETUP.JPG
And The setupcomplete.cmd file:

SETUPCOMPLETE without POSTSETUP.JPG

Which is how it suppose to be. Great. So now, in addition to adding the two files, I put KB890830 (it could be anything here) in the Post-Setup and got the following results:

With POSTSETUP.JPG

And The setupcomplete.cmd file:

SETUPCOMPLETE with POSTSETUP.JPG

So the conclusion is:

1. Updates with nothing in Post-Setup- everything goes into \sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Updates and setupcomplete.cmd is correct as you
previously said.

2. Updates with something in Post-Setup- everything goes into \sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Files and setupcomplete.cmd points to
%WINDIR%\Setup\Updates for updates and %WINDIR%\Setup\Files for anything in Post-Setup.

As long as there is something in Post-Setup the updates will not be copied to the correct folder (ie. Updates).

Hope this information can help you correct this in NTLite. Appreciate all you do and thank you.

Which is how it suppose to be. Great. So now, in addition to adding the two files, I put KB890830 (it could be anything here) in the Post-Setup and got the following results:
I believe you meant to say you used the Updates page, not Post-setup page.

Updates being added to the Post-setup page is not something primarily intended, use the Updates page only.
You can use the post-setup page to intentionally delay the update, it's just simpler to use the Updates page so it integrates those that can, and it will automatically switch to delayed where needed, like those 2 updates.

That said Post-setup page seems to have worked fine in this case, it puts files to Files for temporary storage while being executed by Windows update after setup...effect is the same as Updates.
That separation is actually not even needed, will write it down to see about merging to Files only, so your confusion actually bare fruit.
It's just the point where you stated in the beginning that SetupComplete command uses the wrong Updates/Files subdir is what concerns me.
If you see how to get there, let me know, in the meantime I'll merge these two so it gets solved by design as well.

Thanks.

I believe you meant to say you used the Updates page, not Post-setup page.
I did say this incorrectly. What I meant to say was, with the the two updates in the updates page I now put the KB893830, which can not be put in the updates page, in the Post-setup page. Everything was were in was suppose to be. Sorry for the confusion.

nuhi, as I stated earlier it did work correctly in versions before you changed the configuration of Post-setup (Before Login and After Login). Something changed after that. Again I hope this helps.

I have merged the updates and files in the latest build 9828, let me know if you see any issues.
They should all be in Setup\Files now, to avoid confusion, effect is the same.

I have merged the updates and files in the latest build 9828, let me know if you see any issues.
They should all be in Setup\Files now, to avoid confusion, effect is the same.
That worked out great nuhi! Thanks a lot for correcting this issue, it is very much appreciated.

Back