Solved - Windows 10 build 1909 - KB5004245 install error

Clanger

Staff member
Windows 10 build 1909, Pro For Workstations, en-gb, built setupcomplete.cmd(disable password wotsit and hibernation only) and removed all other editions. NTLite 2.1.1.7917.

I keep getting a KB5004245 install error after reboot "we couldnt complete the update, undoing changes". Twice this has happened :mad:
Manual install post setup after 1st logon, Administrator account.
Install order
1, SS - kb5004748
2, install net 3.5 from cmd line
3, kb4534132 - nets CU
4, KB5004245 CU.

i5 9400F, H310 chipset.

Will download a fresh copy of KB5004245, use an untouched iso and repeat.

Grand plan :rolleyes:, update install, capture then run through NTLite.

Last edited:
Best is to fix the host with Host Refresh, and always make sure the Servicing Stack compatibility is on when removing components.
Also use latest tool version, it keeps getting adapted to these kinds of issues, thus the Host Refresh with latest is double-useful.

If you then after refresh still have the issue next month with the new CU, attach your preset for review.

I didnt do any Component removals or tweaks, just remove unwanted editions, thats the thing. Looks like the CU itself is screwed :(.
I searched the KB number here but didnt get any results.

Oh that, yeah Windows and manual tweaking can bring doom to it as well, it's quite fiddly.
Removing editions does not cause it in itself.

Host refresh can still help if you don't want to fully reinstall.

But i didnt do any component removals or tweaks, that would happen later when i captured the wim :(
Gonna give it another go soon, fingers crossed.
I know 10 is a finicky SOB at the best of times thats why i go careful and do my major tweaking post install.
The 1st fail was on an untouched iso, i had to select the edition during setup.

Last edited:
Failed again :mad:. Used untouched iso, new KB download, increased partition size to 170GB, zip zilch squat kadingus nada. poc os.

Last edited:
new CU out so im gonna give it another try with that. the CU's web page says you can use a certain earlier SS, KB5004748 so i will try that if the latest CU fails again.

Last edited:
nuhi Im still having problems with the latest CU. looks like enabling net3.5 manually post install, after SS, dism is hanging at around the 93% mark, usually it sticks there for a while then carries on, today it just stuck and didnt move on at all.
edition is Pro For Workstations.
I am going to try again but this time not enable 3.5 and just use the "latest clr" tweak instead. Just about to try again now.

Capture.PNG

failed again. KB5004748 SS, latest CU, didnt enable net 3.5. unless someone comes up with a solution im done with 1909.

Version 1909 support for Home and Pro editions ended 2021-05-11

supplemental servicing is available only for Enterprise and Education editions

however, if you integrate the LCU offline, it can bypass the restriction (at least this used to work with 1809 and 1607)
this only work for Pro editions, Home editions are totally out of support

and that includes Pro For Workstations too i take it, sod it :( i did wonder about the out of support thing and trying another edition but i had had enough by then, will give Ent a bash, thanks abbodi86 :)

Last edited:
I was able to integrate latest LCU (July 2021) into 1909 ProN with W10UI. Worked fine for me.
For Home it didn't work.

not as if i tried once n gave up, gave it my best shot 4, maybe 5/6 times. will try Ent once and once only, if that fails im done with 1909.

my iso doesnt have enterprise on it. oh well. aint got the time or werewithal to go find. abbodi86 gave me the answer, marking this as solved.

Last edited:
Back