(Solved) Windows Defender Removal

bookie56

Hi guys!
I have ticked for defender removal and after creating my image tested it in VMWare - but defender still active...I am attaching files....
I can't see it listed in Apps anymore...
I am attaching compatability pics...incase there is something else I am missing...

bookie56

Attachments

• Auto-saved 85947059.xml
    27.7 KB
  • pic-1.PNG
    pic-1.PNG
    26.7 KB
  • pic-2.PNG
    pic-2.PNG
    29 KB
  • pic-3.PNG
    pic-3.PNG
    30.5 KB
You didn't actually remove Defender. This is the Compatibility mode window, which protects key components from accidental removal. If you really need to remove a protected component, then you uncheck one or more protections to allow removal.

Defender can be removed from the Components screen (typing "Defender" in the tiny search bar):

1713715034308.png

Hi garlin!
I get the following ...and I don't know what to untick in compatibility mode

Attachments

• pic-4.PNG
    pic-4.PNG
    100 KB
Look in the Extra info column: "Locked by compatibility: Recommended". Go to Compatibility, uncheck Recommended.

Be aware Recommended protects many important components, so you should disable protection LAST after removing other components which aren't so critical in nature.

Well...for some reason that broke the installation...
Everything had worked until I removed defender...

bookie56

Well I remounted the iso and even though I had only ticked the removal of Windows defender...the following shows what was left...
I don't understand...

bookie56

Attachments

• pic-5.PNG
    pic-5.PNG
    50.3 KB
When you say "Everything had worked", it doesn't explain what's currently broken. What specific action are you trying to do, or is Window installation stopped at a specific point?

Sorry garlin fair point....I do have a tendency to ramble on..... :D
Ok I created an image that I tested in VMWare before removing defender and it I got to the desktop as I expected...Everything loaded as expected it was only Windows Defender that I thought I'd removed but hadn't.
Then I went back and loaded the the iso in NTLite with the same preset and just removed Windows defender as you showed me....but on testing that in VMWare it doesn't get all the way through the installation as shown below....( sorry for the Swedish). The installation was basically finished and then it hangs....I tried removing the whole VMWare installation and started again - but the same problem...
That is when I went back to see what reloading the iso and preset would show...and the apps list was almost empty......

bookie56

Attachments

• pic-6a.png
    pic-6a.png
    37.9 KB
That error is typically for mismatched disk configuration (UEFI vs MBR?), or a storage driver issue. Setup is trying to write more data to the disk and failing. We're not even close to any parts of your modded image, and still running inside WinPE.

If you're really curious, open a CMD window with Shift-F10.

Look under \Windows\Panther\UnattendGC, open setupact.log or setuperr.log with Notepad and see where an error occurs. If that is no help, go up one level to \Windows\Panther and look at another set of both files.

I did have a look - but no such files.....?
I even copied the iso from work computer again....but it still hangs in the exact same place?

Attachments

• pic-7a.png
    pic-7a.png
    68.4 KB
  • pic-8a.png
    pic-8a.png
    73.8 KB
  • pic-9a.png
    pic-9a.png
    64.4 KB
I can see the setupact.log and can use type to open it -but can't copy form VM to desktop notpad...
What I can't understand I set up the VM's in the exact same way each time.....
If I go back to the previous image and create a new VM it installs without problems

Last edited:
Hi garlin!
I just wanted you to know...went back to the drawing board ....tested as I went and now have the image working without Defender...

I will call this one solved...
Thanks as always for your help!

bookie56

Attachments

• pic-11a.png
    pic-11a.png
    325.7 KB
Back