Some Components maybe not being removed

slownumb

Some Components not being removed.

Hello!

Out of curiosity, I decided to remove ALL Components from a Windows ISO.
And before anyone asks, I was not trying to achiev anything. Just curiosity.

I used a freshly downloaded Win11 23H2v2 from MS website.
Unticked EVERY box on Compatibility tab (even Host-Machine), so I could remove everything.
Then I applied the process (save image and trimmed editions) and everything went OK, no errors. A 1gb unbootatble (I was expecting that, of course) ISO was created.
The preset for this is Test1.xml.

Ok. So I realoaded the mounted image that was trimmed and found out that some components that were supposed to be removed were still there.

<c>appcompat 'Application compatibility'</c>
<c>cmdutils 'Miscellaneous Command Line Utilities'</c>
<c>lcu 'Cumulative Update cache (LCU)'</c>
<c>manifests 'Windows Component Database'</c>
<c>microsoft.windows.cloudexperiencehost 'Out-of-box Experience (OOBE)'</c>
<c>microsoft.windowsstore 'Windows Store'</c>
<c>sstack 'Servicing stack'</c>
<c>textservices 'Text Services Framework'</c>

They are also on the screenshot attached.

I know that these components are not supposed to be removed without knowledge and, as I said, I wasn't really trying anything besides remove all.

Just to make sure that they were not being removed, I decided to try to remove them again, from the already trimmed ISO. Again, no luck.
Preset for this is Test2.xml

Maybe I'm missing something like disabling any service or settings related to these components to allow the removal.

This does not affect me right now because I am testing some other configs for my ISO.
But in the future I plan to remove Windows Store and it was not stripped.

Attachments

• Test2.xml
    3.4 KB
  • ntlite2.png
    ntlite2.png
    249.9 KB
  • Test1.xml
    69.8 KB
So I realoaded the mounted image that was trimmed and found out that some components that were supposed to be removed were still there.

<c>appcompat 'Application compatibility'</c>
<c>cmdutils 'Miscellaneous Command Line Utilities'</c>
<c>lcu 'Cumulative Update cache (LCU)'</c>
<c>manifests 'Windows Component Database'</c>
<c>microsoft.windows.cloudexperiencehost 'Out-of-box Experience (OOBE)'</c>
<c>microsoft.windowsstore 'Windows Store'</c>
<c>sstack 'Servicing stack'</c>
<c>textservices 'Text Services Framework'</c>
While this maybe an interesting "fun exercise", some of the leftover components are actually metadata files.

appcompat 'Application compatibility'DLL used by Setup, to block upgrades if incompatible apps or drivers are detected on the system.
This is what stops you from installing W11 on "incompatible HW"
lcu 'Cumulative Update cache (LCU)'Temp copies of LCU files in the Updates staging folders.
May be cleared to release disk space.
manifests 'Windows Component Database'Component manifests under WinSxS.
May be cleared if you never intend to update, or SFC repair this system.

Is it actually a good idea to completely remove everything related to "OOBE", or not related, but the OOBE component itself? So that we can skip the entire windows hello and "initial setup after boot" screen? (Noob here!)

Most OOBE & CDP (Connected Devices Platform) components are required for a clean install, even in Unattended mode.

The only exceptions being the OOBENetwork setup wizards. If you have a licensed copy of NTLite, it's possible to remove OOBE after your first user logon. To skip the OOBE screens, just use Unattended mode and provide the necessary details for system language & keyboard, computer name, and default user account.

I'm making various tests (not yet finished) about removing components and perhaps i think i've read that some components or apps can be removed only by licenced version of NTLite.
This is the case for example for Windows Store, One drive and web search in Windows search bar.
I'm asking for confirmation for my assumption.

I'm making various tests (not yet finished) about removing components and perhaps i think i've read that some components or apps can be removed only by licenced version of NTLite.
This is the case for example for Windows Store, One drive and web search in Windows search bar.
I'm asking for confirmation for my assumption.
Those removals are not available in free edition.

About OOBE components, I had tested the OOBE components to keep for a clean installation
The ones I keep for installation (with an autounattend file, never tested without) :

- CTFMon x64 (removed in Live)
- opclib (removed in Live)
- winsetup (removed in Live)

Other OOBE components are deleted in Offline

Back