Some Startup tasks still waiting after running NTLite

pmikep

NTLite v2023.11.9515

Per the screenshot attached, here are two tasks still waiting to run (once) and clear after I used NTLite to "Remove Reinstalls" on a live Win10.

I ran NTLite from a User account to "Remove Reinstalls," and then rebooted back into my User account.

That's when I saw these two tasks still waiting to run. (I have reported this issue in the past. Which is why I check.)

I logged out of User and into Admin. Then I rebooted. The tasks had cleared after this.

(As I said above, I've reported this issues a few times in the past. Sometimes the issue seems fixed. Then it comes back again. Or is the Solution to always run NTLite as Admin and then always reboot into Admin after processing a Live Window system? (And if that is the Solution, then should NTLite advise users to reboot (or log off and log in) as Admin before returning to normal work?))

Attachments

• Two RunOnce's leftover.jpg
    Two RunOnce's leftover.jpg
    74.1 KB
Depending on what's being removed, some items can't be be deleted until the current processes exit and release their hold on file handles.

For this instance, HKCU:RunOnce is expecting for the user who ran NTLite to return after the system restart. The command is cleaning up a single user's profile, and not for every user's profile on the same system. There's no need to logon as the Administrator account, and not every Windows system has one enabled.

The next time you think there's a problem, note the pending Startup tasks and see if they're the same ones after restart, or did a different set of tasks replace them?

... There's no need to logon as the Administrator account, and not every Windows system has one enabled.

Tnx. But now I'm confused.

When I run NTLite from User, UAC pops up, asking for Admin privileges. So isn't NTLite being run as Admin when I process?

If yes, then it makes sense to me that I would have to log in as Admin after a reboot so that Windows can finish the tasks that NTLite delayed from Admin.

NTLite needs to run with Admin privileges, which is provided by you agreeing to the UAC prompt or running NTLite as Administrator.

But to remove invalid items from your user profile, the delayed task needs to run as you. If you logged back as the Administrator user, the task would only clean up the Administrator's profile and not your personal profile. Does that make sense?

Yes that makes sense. But isn't all of Windows' internals under Admin? That is, when I do Remove Reinstalls, aren't all those Windows components (for example, Edge) under control of Admin? (If not the higher Trusted account?)

Anyway, a long time ago I titled the Shortcut to NTLite on my Desktop to "Reboot to Admin" as a reminder to me to clear any tasks outstanding.

Last edited:
Back