Stack overrun warning using TabTip.exe

Kombowz

Hi Everyone,

I'm at a loss here and I'm hoping someone can help me.
I've enabled all protections for the tablet and on screen keyboard but it still triggers a stack warning every time I boot.

I've attached the xml below. Everything else I need working works perfectly except for getting an overstack error about tabtip.exe...

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

Attachments

• stack.xml
    35.3 KB
TabTip.exe is the Tablet PC Input Panel.
You've removed Windows Shell Experience, which is required by UWP apps to have proper windows.

Open your preset in Notepad, and remove this line:
Code:
<c>microsoft.windows.peopleexperiencehost 'Windows Shell Experience'</c>

Create a new ISO, and report any further problems you're having.

TabTip.exe is the Tablet PC Input Panel.
You've removed Windows Shell Experience, which is required by UWP apps to have proper windows.

Open your preset in Notepad, and remove this line:
Code:
<c>microsoft.windows.peopleexperiencehost 'Windows Shell Experience'</c>

Create a new ISO, and report any further problems you're having.
Thank you Garlin,

As always, I appreciate your help. I will give it a try in the morning and let you know if I have any other issue.

I'll update results from work tomorrow.

I half expected that wasn't the full answer (but you needed to fix it anyway). Next up would be:
Code:
                <c>inputservice32 'Input Service (CTFMON) - 32 bit'</c>
                <c>langime 'Input Method Editor (IME)'</c>

More to add into the mix, which was determined in past threads to cause this same issue:
<c>edgehtml32 'HTML Viewer - 32 bit'</c>
<c>pushnotificationssvc 'Windows Push Notifications Service (System)'</c>

Even if these fix it, this common buffer overrun error must have some other root cause or fellow instigator, because I've never seen it on my machines even while testing other presets and NTLite templates, and Google indicates this appears on default installs too, which tells me the underlying issue is BIOS/driver related, broken base image, corruption, malware, or bad tweaks.

Testing in layers prevents these kind of issues. An image should be built by testing 10 or 20 removals at a time, so it doesn't become a game of guess and check after the image is "finished" to find all the bugs. It's much faster and easier to build it going forward, rather than backward. Also, temporarily disable all firewalls and antivirus while using NTLite, especially while downloading and installing updates to avoid corruption.

Lastly, this thread is currently using an old insider preview build, which is a red flag. Download a new image straight from Microsoft (link1), not a third party source, because it's a constant issue on this forum that we find people are using a broken base image, which is the cause of countless problems. Change the user-agent of the browser (link2) while visiting the Microsoft site to see the ISO download option, rather than the MCT tool.

Last edited:
Tested the attached preset, and no crashes.
Tried rebooting, used the touch keyboard, etc.

Maybe Windows Update updated the OS in the background?
In that case please run NTLite - Image - Tools - Remove reinstalls after each successful update.
Let me know if that helps.

Otherwise try to remember any other steps on top of the Preset + 22621.1 image.

Thank you.

Tested the attached preset, and no crashes.
Tried rebooting, used the touch keyboard, etc.

Maybe Windows Update updated the OS in the background?
In that case please run NTLite - Image - Tools - Remove reinstalls after each successful update.
Let me know if that helps.

Otherwise try to remember any other steps on top of the Preset + 22621.1 image.

Thank you.

Hi Nuhi,

Thank you for your assistance.
There isn't much else in the preset, but I will investigate the issue.
Once I find the issue in question, I will report back here to post a solution to help others that encounter this same issue. Thanks again to all who have helped with this. As always, NTLite community is great and a blessing.

I was researching a different question on Tablet PC Input, when I was reminded of this [duh] obvious removal:
Code:
<c>tabletextservice 'Table Text Service'</c>

The other suggestions are probably red herrings.

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately I was unable to figure out what was causing this issue. I tried it on a new official download and it was the same result. I'm starting to think that the preset was somehow corrupted or something of that nature. In any case I've started over and it seems to be fine. If someone remedies this issue if it wasn't a corrupt preset, don't forget to report on it. The only way we can all get better and have answers for others is to share this information. Which in turn, will help the developer sort out programming issues (If ultimately that the problem with any issues that come up).

Thank you everyone for trying to help, I truly appreciate it.

Back