Sysprep VMWare NTLite Help

Smokes

Hi again
Try as I have to get my head around this over the past several days. A ton of searches on the net has just about made me give up. GImageX Sysprep from a virtual machine image to bootable Windows 7 install disc

What I am trying to do, if anyone can help in laymans terms would be appreciated. Can you point me to any clear tutorials?
I have Windows 7 Pro x64 with security updates, NET4.8 along with some other small installed programs in VMWare.

What I have tried
cd \windows\system32\sysprep
sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:C:\unattend.xml [tried with unattended and without]
This is the part where the sh@! hit the fan, whatever had been created had just been wiped out on bootup
Never got to GimageX thought about launching laptop but chose not to. I want to try and Perceiver in hope that I can learn something new HA! well I can live in hope.

1.When would I use NTLite to thin things down a little?
2. How do I make the wim to use with sysprep?
3. can I use a Recovery boot disc with cmd? for Win PE
4. Never got to the point where ImageX comes out to play

End target Windows 7 iso to rufus.

Sorry for making it difficult to understand. Its not easy without knowing the correct terminology to use and what I am trying to say. All of this just for a custom Windows 7 install with pre installed .Net 4.8 and a few other bits.

If you got this far thanks for your patience.
S

have you tried running sysprep manually? let ntlite create the answer file later on. ive never sysprepped/captured from a vm but manual syssprep from a ssd workks for me, do you have a spare laying around?

1.When would I use NTLite to thin things down a little?
once you have sysprepped and captured an image.

actually you could have carried this on on your .NET 4.8 Windows 7 x64 topic but hyey ho.

whatever had been created had just been wiped out on bootup

Could you elaborate on that?

Ideally install the updated Windows 7 ISO in Audit mode to finish pending operations install NET4.8 do the sysprep then capture the image. It is not necessary to use the unattend switch for sysprep. The capture can be done with GImageX, ImageX or Dism.

To enter Audit mode press CTRL+SHIFT+F3 on the OOBE screen (first interactive screen after copying the files). Alternatively you can use an autounattend.xml file copied to the ISO root. NTLite can generate this autounattend.xml for you.

You can use VMware Workstation Pro to install the ISO in audit mode and make sysprep then capture the image. After the sysprep and shutdown of the VM close VMware and run it again but as Administrator (very important!!!) and map the OS partition. Uncheck the option "Open drive in Windows Explorer..." otherwise an error will occur. Now just capture the Z: drive. After capturing don't forget to disconnect the mapped disk.

Now use the install.wim generated for removals with NTLite.

Installing the programs before or after using NTLite is up to you. If you get any errors try to install the programs after using NTLite doing the audit mode, installs, sysprep and capture process a second time.

Thanks to both of you

Clanger
I do not know how to run sysprep manually
I have a small spare SSD 128GB

Can you move this post to my .NET 4.8 keep things neater :-}

AeonX
After installing Windows 7 on VMWare I got the system close as I wanted. The part which you ask me to elaberate on was when I ran sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown [really unsure of xml attended I did try to create one from https://www.windowsafg.com and also tried without]

I changed vmware first boot to virtual cd drive with Hirens PE boot disk I did not get esc key quickly enough. System proceeded to boot and looked as though it was setting up for the first time, preparing on what was already prepared earlier.

thread continues here. i cant move nothing, only nuhi can so ive linked to that thread.

Last edited:
I do not know how to run sysprep manually

I think he's talking about running sysprep.exe without the switches simply run \Windows\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe

I changed vmware first boot to virtual cd drive with Hirens PE boot disk I did not get esc key quickly enough. System proceeded to boot and looked as though it was setting up for the first time, preparing on what was already prepared earlier.

Would the Hirens PE boot disk be for capturing?

To boot from the CD drive / ISO after the system is installed on VMware you need to enter the VM's BIOS and change the boot order. In the icon where you start up or shut down the VM choose the option Power On to Firmware. I didn't understand if you did that.

Last edited:
I think he's talking about running sysprep.exe without the switches .
simply run \Windows\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe

yes and yes. i use the settings in that image i posted earlier. use the gimagex settings image i posted too. once you know how its so damn easy everybody should try it.

Back