Trying to install the proper drivers to support xHCI USB 3.0 devices in Windows 7 x64 bit

ziomario

Hello to everyone.

The problem that I have is that I'm not able to move my mouse inside the Windows 7 VM x64 bit virtualized with bhyve (the best hypervisor on the bsd world) and I want to find a workaround. Maybe an idea could be to enable usb 3.0 on my Windows 7 x64 bit VM. For example windows 8 work well with xhci devices while win7 x64 bit sp1 doesn't. I have googled usb3 drivers for win7, but none of them work. This is the parameter that I need to add in bhyve to pass thru the xhci USB 3.0 devices that I use (mouse and keyboard (the keyboard works,I don't know why,but the mouse does not)

-s 30,xhci,tablet \

I think I need to know which kind of drivers I need. Where can I get them ? With which method ?

I'm not sure if it is relevant,but the hardware of my pc has one Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller with the mobo Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390. On the website of the Gigabyte I didn't find any package correlated with the USB 3.0 xhci drivers.

Or maybe,what counts more is not the hardware of my PC,but the virtualized components used by the hypervisor. In every case I don't know which kind of drivers I should install. Please advice.

Gigabyte's website doesn't list any USB 3.1 xHCI drivers, because W10/11 includes native drivers and W7 isn't officially supported by them.

I see you have cross-posted this question to several different sites. If you're looking for modded W7 USB3 drivers, @canonkong on Win-RAID forum is usually the acknowledged expert on working drivers.

I'm looking for modded W7 XHCI USB3 drivers,yes. I've been already helped on the sevenforum,but the drivers gave to me didn't work. Don't know why.

Gigabyte's website doesn't list any USB 3.1 xHCI drivers, because W10/11 includes native drivers and W7 isn't officially supported by them.
And Windows 8.1. Windows 7 is only "officially" supported on Coffee Lake H310 R2.0 chipset but does work on B365.
Someone in these parts, possibly ultraform has a buddy who did get w7 working on Z390 chipset board.

I'm looking for modded W7 XHCI USB3 drivers,yes. I've been already helped on the sevenforum,but the drivers gave to me didn't work. Don't know why.
And Windows 8.1. Windows 7 is only "officially" supported on Coffee Lake H310 R2.0 chipset but does work on B365.
Someone in these parts, possibly ultraform has a buddy who did get w7 working on Z390 chipset board.
Hi, Yes I used windows 7 on z390 with 9700k and 9900 cpu, but I dont have that pc anymore :/. I gonna try to find the usb driver from intel's website, it looks like they removed them.

I've followed the tutorial on this video tutorial :

and I've reached the stage where I see the disks where to install Windows 7. Unfortunately I have one only disk that I can use and it is an USB disk,model : WD 3200BMV External.

At this point I've found another problem on the stage 2 : it won't be installed on a USB disk. And unfortunately I have only one spare USB disk to use.

Anyway I found a method to achieve the goal. The method explained here :

https://github.com/vavrecan/usb-boot-watcher

ok. This is what I did :

Code:
C:\Users\virtu\Downloads\GetWaikTools\Waik_3\amd64>imagex /apply I:\Backup\Windows\en_windows_7_professional_x64_dvd_24.4.10\sources\install.wim 1 g:

ImageX Tool for Windows

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

Version: 6.1.7600.16385

[ 100% ] Applying progress

Successfully applied image.

C:\Users\virtu\Downloads\GetWaikTools\Waik_3>bcdboot f:\Windows /s f: /v

BFSVC: ServiceBootFiles MuiOnly:n Res:y Fonts:y BootMgrOvw:n BootStatOvw:n DbgTrn:y SuspendBDE:n

BFSVC: Unable to open file f:\Windows\boot\Resources\BOOTRES.DLL for read because the file or path does not exist

BFSVC Warning: Failed to determine source OS version.

BFSVC: Copying boot files CopyBootManager(Yes) f:\Windows\boot\EFI -> \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume42\EFI\Microsoft\Boot

BFSVC: Updating \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume42\EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi

BFSVC: Creating Recovery directory.

BFSVC: Logging boot file servicing to bootstat log \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume42\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BOOTSTAT.DAT.

BFSVC Warning: Failed to log servicing event to bootstat \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume42\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BOOTSTAT.DAT. Status: 0x80000005

BFSVC: Copying font files from f:\Windows\boot\Fonts to \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume42\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Fonts...

BFSVC: Copying resource files from f:\Windows\boot\Resources to \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume42\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Resources...

BFSVC: SetNamedSecurityInfo failed! Error code = 0x2

BFSVC Warning: Resource files missing from f:\Windows\boot\Resources. These files are required for some editions of Windows. If you are servicing older versions of Windows, you can ignore this message.

BFSVC: Servicing debugger files

BFSVC Warning: ServiceDebuggerFiles: f:\Windows\boot\BootDebuggerFiles.ini does not exist

BFSVC: System partition is not in a space

BFSVC: BfsInitializeBcdStore flags(0x0000001c) RetainElementData:n DelExistinObject:n

BFSVC: VolumePathName for f:\Windows is f:\

BFSVC: SystemRoot is \Windows

BFSVC: Opening template from \Device\HarddiskVolume42\Windows\System32\config\BCD-Template.

BFSVC: Opening store from \Device\HarddiskVolume42\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

BFSVC: System BCD store does not exist, creating.

BFSVC: Creating General objects.

BFSVC: Creating Resume object.

BFSVC: Creating MemTest object.

BFSVC: Creating OsLoader object.

BFSVC: OsLoader identifier: {f1a07f02-0ddc-11ef-af3b-e0d55ee21f22}

BFSVC: Removing duplicate entries.

BFSVC: Create BOOTMGR object RetainBootDefault:n

BFSVC: Setting {default} to {f1a07f02-0ddc-11ef-af3b-e0d55ee21f22}

BFSVC: Cleaning up debugger settings.

BFSVC: Cleaning up hypervisor settings.

BFSVC: Opening recovery store from \Device\HarddiskVolume42\EFI\Microsoft\Recovery\BCD

BFSVC: Creating new recovery store \Device\HarddiskVolume42\EFI\Microsoft\Recovery\BCD

BFSVC: Creating General objects.

BFSVC: Create BOOTMGR object RetainBootDefault:y

Boot files successfully created.

The final stage :

Code:
C:\Users\virtu\Downloads\usb-boot-watcher-master\bin\amd64>UsbBootWatcher /prepare f:\Windows\System32
Copy from C:\Users\virtu\Downloads\usb-boot-watcher-master\bin\amd64\UsbBootWatcher.exe
To f:\Windows\System32\UsbBootWatcher.exe
Copy from UsbBootWatcher.conf
To f:\Windows\System32\UsbBootWatcher.conf
Copy from f:\Windows\System32\config\system
To f:\Windows\System32\config\system.backup20240509083357
Registry hive loaded HKLM\USBBOOT
Target control set ControlSet001
Updating USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\usbstor
Updating USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\usbehci
Updating USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\usbohci
Updating USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\usbuhci
Updating USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\usbhub
Creating service USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\Usb Boot Watcher Service
Registry hive unloaded HKLM\USBBOOT

It didn't work. You want to see well whats happened ?

https://ibb.co/v4Bg4jC
https://ibb.co/Qcpkysg

How to fix this error ?

Last edited:
W8.1 Pro and Embedded Industry Pro are excellent alternatives to windows 7, 8.1 has built in usb3/3.x drivers and is as easy as w7 to shrink and tweak.
Ive used it on coffee lake, B365 and H310M R2.0 chipsets, it installs and runs like a dream.

Embedded Industry Pro is like w10 ltsb/c's in that it doesnt have the inbox apps like regular Pro does. Check pm. :cool:

Last edited:
Yes,I can imagine,but here the challenge is to be able to modify Windows 7 to improve it. I see this as a chance to learn something new.

cant learn jack s--- if you cant install the bloody thing can you. get an 8.1 iso, you will have it installed in 10 minutes and before the end of the weekend you'll have 8.1 tweaked to your liking, or do you want to waste even more time for little to no reward,,,
I buy and build a pc to GSD, not faff around with a bloody operating system.

For sure I will not spend my whole life to tweak Windows 7. But at the moment I have a couple of new ideas to try. Let's say that actually I have two installations of Windows 7. The first one is virtualized and it almost work. What does not work there is the mouse,so I think that what's missing is the XHCI drivers. And then I have the physical installation of 7 that can't boot at all. The idea is to merge what works on the installation A to the installation B and viceversa.
:)

Yes,I can imagine,but here the challenge is to be able to modify Windows 7 to improve it. I see this as a chance to learn something new.
May I ask the question why it has to be Windows 7? Is there any production need that newer Windows simply do not work?

I'm a geek. I like to fix what does not work and even to extend the features that didn't exist at the beginning. There is no fun for one like me to use Windows 8,because everything works good with it.

May I ask the question why it has to be Windows 7? Is there any production need that newer Windows simply do not work?
unless there is a good technical reason to stick with w7 like a hardware or software requirement i say "c'mon baggy, get with the beat".

I'm a geek. I like to fix what does not work and even to extend the features that didn't exist at the beginning. There is no fun for one like me to use Windows 8,because everything works good with it.
Why not contribute to Bottles of Wine if so?

I made some progress. I've renamed the directory of the drivers of the win 7 system that does not boot and I put in its place the directory of the drivers of 7 which boots inside the VM. It wanted a file :

Untitled.jpg

yes,I had that file. I've got it from within the simplix package,because I used this package to integrate the missing driver in the ISO that I've used to install 7 physically. Unfortunately 7 didn't accept that file. It gave a memory error. So,that's not the file it wants. This file is not good for 7 :

2024-05-10 15 44 20.png

Take in consideration that my nvme disk is a Crucial P1 M.2 1000 GB PCI Express 3.0 NVMe,part number CT1000P1SSD8

I can't disable it from the BIOS. I already know this. So,what options I have to let that 7 wants to accept it ? I see only one : to find the modded driver somewhere or to learn how to mod it.

I hope you want to help me.

Back