Unattended Disk Setup (Solved)

SHO_GuN

I have been using this feature forever without a problem, but just hit a snag.

Drive 1 contains a 50MB EFI partition and the rest is the system partition. Drive 0 has "D" and "E" NTFS for storage and "R" FAT32 with Clonezilla on it.

I moved things around on drive 0 to have an 8GB unallocated space at the end and installed Raspberry Pi Desktop on it. All worked fine.

The snag...now when I try to do a Windows install, I get this pop up:

419.jpg

If I delete the Raspberry install, the Windows install will work fine - install Raspberry again and get the pop up.

To reiterate, the Raspberry install is on a different drive that where the Windows install is supposed to go.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks

Edit: If I remove the disk setup from my settings, the install goes fine manually selecting disk 1.

I have been using this feature forever without a problem, but just hit a snag.

Drive 1 contains a 50MB EFI partition and the rest is the system partition. Drive 0 has "D" and "E" NTFS for storage and "R" FAT32 with Clonezilla on it.

I moved things around on drive 0 to have an 8GB unallocated space at the end and installed Raspberry Pi Desktop on it. All worked fine.

The snag...now when I try to do a Windows install, I get this pop up:

View attachment 5364

If I delete the Raspberry install, the Windows install will work fine - install Raspberry again and get the pop up.

To reiterate, the Raspberry install is on a different drive that where the Windows install is supposed to go.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks

Edit: If I remove the disk setup from my settings, the install goes fine manually selecting disk 1.
what does the log file say ?

Check your unattended.xml and see if this block exists (or needs to be overriden). I don't think NTLite plans for a multi-boot setup, so it falls back to Windows install to figure out which disk.

XML:
<ImageInstall>
    <OSImage>
        <InstallTo>
            <DiskID>0</DiskID>
            <PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
        </InstallTo>
</ImageInstall>

Last edited:
Taosd - I know the pop up says to look at the setup log files, but darn if I can find them.

garlin - Yes, that is properly filled in in my settings - not sure it would work even without the Raspberry install without that.

Something I forget in the OP - My norm is a 50MB EFI and the system partition - when I removed the disk setup from my settings and did it manually, setup did not make an EFI partition. It made a 16MB MSR partition and the system partition. I guess it was putting stuff in the EFI folder of the Raspberry install.

I changed my settings to make said MSR and system partitions instead of an EFI and system partition, but that didn't work either.

This problem would be easier to see if you check "list disk" for both drives and see if they're MBR or GPT, and "list partition" when the Raspberry's installed. The unattended script is running a sequence of diskpart commands. When you get to the partition setup, open CMD and pretend you're the unattended script running the same commands by hand.

There were logs there, I was just being daft and didn't see them.

Same error on setupact.log & setuperr.log: Error [0x060549] IBS Install drive does not meet requirements for installation[gle=0x00000057]

When I manually configure disk during install, the files that would normally go into the EFI partition on drive 1 are in fact being put into the EFI folder of the Raspberry install on drive 0.

The Raspberry install generates 3 partitions: GPT (EFI), GPT (Data Partition) and a swap partition.

If I change the Raspberry GPT (EFI) partition to a GPT (Data Partition) the unattended install goes fine, but then the Raspberry will not boot :(

When I ran the diskpart commands manually at the partition setup screen, all went fine. It seems that the Windows install just cannot ignore the Raspberry's EFI partition.

SHO_GuN, since you are not wiping the disk, that means you are using the individual partition setup?
That in large depends what is set by the user, I would need to see your preset to comment, you can PM me.

You can see the correct template by using the Disk Template with EFI type on a different preset, then try to fill the same requirements as needed, with changes like no wiping, formatting, different IDs.
Careful with the real disk and partition IDs, easy to delete all.

If even manual setup is not saving as expected in relation to the EFI mentioned partition/folder, that's a red flag.

Can you move RPi setup to the second disk instead and edit the boot menu after Windows setup?
I should be much easier to shift data partitions, than it is to force Windows setup to share the partition layouts with RPi.

SHO_GuN, since you are not wiping the disk, that means you are using the individual partition setup?

--I am wiping the disk.
That in large depends what is set by the user, I would need to see your preset to comment, you can PM me.

--Will do.
If even manual setup is not saving as expected in relation to the EFI mentioned partition/folder, that's a red flag.

--That is the case.
Can you move RPi setup to the second disk instead and edit the boot menu after Windows setup?

The RPi setup IS on a separate disk. Disk 1 is an NVME that normally just has a 50MB EFI partition and the rest is a second partition that has the system files:
index.php

Disk 0 is my secondary drive that has two NTFS data storage partitions, one FAT32 partition with Clonezilla on it, and currently three partitions from the RPi install.

Here is what they currently look like in Minitool (it lists them as Disk 1 & 2 - Windows lists them as Disk 0 & 1):

Snap1.jpg

When manually wiping disk 1 (2 in this picture) at the disk setup screen, then telling it to install to that drive, it does what you see - the Windows EFI files are added to the RPi install's EFI folder (The 4th partition of disk 1 above).

This would be fine with me if I could automate it - but I reinstall a lot and I know I will eventually mess up and wipe the wrong disk. I back disk 1 up twice a month so could still loose two weeks of stuff if that happened.

Thanks for all the input on this!

I never found an answer but accidently figured it out. Turns out it was as simple as using diskpart to change the EFI partition that the RPi install creates from "system" to "primary".

All is good :)

Back