Unattended Install: Hard Drive Configuration Question

Hey peoples,

I've been using Windows 10 AME (Ameliorated Edition) for awhile and recently I've sought to integrate drivers as well as some of the utilities I typically use. The drivers were easy enough, and the utilities and such weren't a problem once I found the appropriate switches for silent installation. Well, once that was accomplished I naturally decided that wasn't enough and turned my attention to something that always bothered me about AME: The default user account and password.
Activating the unattended installation in NTlite clears the previous setup info, as I'm sure you are all aware, but the issue is I have little to no experience setting up an unattended install. I've screwed around with it enough to know that if I don't create a user account then Windows becomes impenetrable.
The question I have is this - can I setup the unattended install in such a way that would allow me to configure the hard drives during the Windows setup, or does it have to be done in the unattended configuration? I have two RAID Arrays that typically require drivers to be installed during setup, and last time I installed Windows the system array, which should be Disk 0 was listed by Win setup as Disk 1 for reasons I haven't bothered to investigate, but because of that I can't be positive that an unattended installation wouldn't wipe the wrong drives. I could skip that potential mess by configuring my drives during setup.

Creating a disk layout in Unattended mode is optional. Setup will stop and ask you what to do.
Assuming you integrated the required drivers to both install.wim & boot.wim (Setup), then your devices should be ready.

I have the same fear of overwriting the wrong disk. The only time I use the Unattended disk layout is for VM testing.

"I've screwed around with it enough to know that if I don't create a user account then Windows becomes impenetrable."

during setup, i am only asked for disk partitioning and local account creation name.

See, there is more that I don't know about unattended installations than I do know. And yes, I have somehow locked myself out of Windows by not setting up unattended installation correctly. I locked myself out of Windows several times when I discovered the Microsoft Management Console, but I did eventually learn to use it.

I have the same fear of overwriting the wrong disk.
Your fear is well founded. I formatted my main storage drive by mistake during setup. Took me a long time(i forget how many hours exactly) to recover everything with recuva and if i remember correctly i actually redownloaded a lot of stuff and the rest i didnt bother with, good way to get rid of the useless crap. Luckily i had the really important stuff backed up on dvd's.

I never have my main storage drive connected now during setup and i never auto config a drive in an answer file because i might want to vary partition layouts depending on the scenario.

Back