UnReal Engine 4 + DX12 crashes with Unhandled Exception

Sliver X

I recently attempted an ISO build of LTSC 2019 and thought I'd finally found a setup to where everything I need on the target machine would function. However, I'm running into an issue with any game running on UnReal Engine 4 where after launching a game it crashes with "Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000000".

All other non-UE4 DX12 games I've ran work fine. Forcing the UE4 games to use DX11 via the "-dx11" option allows them to work. The preset I'm using to build the ISO doesn't exhibit this problem when ran over a live OS install, only in ISO mode.

Attached is the preset I'm using (I've already tried enabling WMP and having it not clear the Windows Component Cache to no avail).

Any insights into what may be going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• ISO_BETA5.xml
    45.4 KB
I would start by keeping things that are problematic. HTML Viewer, JScript, UAC, etc. Maybe Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) and File Trace MiniFilter as well. But I have no idea what it could be. I took a quick look and didn't see anything in your preset that is directly related to graphics or DX12.

Which games specifically give a problem? I think it's easier for someone to test knowing this.

It was initially Necromunda: Hired Gun and Redout Space Assault throwing the same errors. I ended up digging through their crash logs and was able to determine it was an issue with not having dotNet 4.8, not DX12 per-se.

This is the first time I've tried an ISO build in years, and I wasn't integrating it, whereas I typically strip a live OS that I've ran updates on, hence why it wasn't happening when doing it that way.

I ultimately got a preset that does everything I need it to do for this specific machine: Thanks for replying.

Interesting. Didn't know .NET was also used in games :mad: I would like all programs and games to be written in win32 native. At least games I thought they were for performance reasons. Maybe it's the game launcher that is written in .NET.

Back