Update needed for Template Documentation page

pmikep

It's been so long since I have used NTLite that the new Template feature in the Components "Tab" was confusing to me. (Especially its color codes. "Red" usually means "Danger." (At least in the World of Aviation.) Which had me worried that I was removing something that I shouldn't.)

So, first things first:

I finally went to the Documentation page to learn about Templates.

Two corrections needed here:

Documentation.jpg

1) A grammar typo. "is" should be "are."

2) There is no description for the template color "Red."

But there is a red color in the Components page.

Missing Red.jpg

So the Description should be added.

Okay, now a few observations/recommendations:

1) I don't understand the label for Red, "Not Recommended."

Does this mean "Not Recommended to Remove"? Or does it mean "Not really needed (even for Compatibility)"?

Since Red is at the bottom of the list, I infer that Red really means "Not really needed" and is Safe to Remove.

If so, if it's safe, then shouldn't it be colored Green?

(I realize that there are only so many colors, and fewer still which display nicely on a computer screen.)

But I'm also confused as to how something can be safe to remove but at the same time be "Locked by Compatibility." (Which, apparently the Red Template overrides. Perhaps that explains "Red" for "Danger"?)

2) Whatever, I suggest that a Legend of the colors be shown on the page, to make it clear to new users what the colors are about. (I had to look in Documentation to learn about the colors and Templates.) Perhaps a permanent Legend at the top of the window titled "Colors of Templates"? That might get me clicking on the Template 'button' on the Components page?

Does this mean "Not Recommended to Remove"?
Exactly. These are the same components protected and locked by Recommended compatibility and therefore recommended to be kept and not recommended to remove.

Although this is relative and some of them can be removed. It will depend on what you need or not.

Then I would change the text to "Red - Minimal - recommend to keep."

That "These Components are not required for operation of Windows. Although they can be removed, it is still highly recommended that you keep them for compatibility."

Thanks for the feedback, corrected the page.

It's been so long since I have used NTLite that the new Template feature in the Components "Tab" was confusing to me. (Especially its color codes. "Red" usually means "Danger." (At least in the World of Aviation.) Which had me worried that I was removing something that I shouldn't.)
That's the point.

1) A grammar typo. "is" should be "are."

2) There is no description for the template color "Red."

But there is a red color in the Components page.

So the Description should be added.
If Lite means a set of components to reach lite, then Not recommended means not recommended set of components to uncheck.
Thus that button is disabled in Templates and marked as red.
Compatibility "Recommended" protection locks those as well.

So basically to you it looks like a set of "Not recommended" components that should be removed. Hehe cool, haven't thought about it that way.
Need some more time to digest that and see what other users are reporting.

Okay, now a few observations/recommendations:

1) I don't understand the label for Red, "Not Recommended."

Does this mean "Not Recommended to Remove"? Or does it mean "Not really needed (even for Compatibility)"?

Since Red is at the bottom of the list, I infer that Red really means "Not really needed" and is Safe to Remove.

If so, if it's safe, then shouldn't it be colored Green?

(I realize that there are only so many colors, and fewer still which display nicely on a computer screen.)

But I'm also confused as to how something can be safe to remove but at the same time be "Locked by Compatibility." (Which, apparently the Red Template overrides. Perhaps that explains "Red" for "Danger"?)
To me it seems obvious, Privacy is already green, so why add that to the conversation.
Privacy is green and Not recommended is red and locked, both on opposite sides of the spectrum for the template.
Don't know, I'm obviously biased, but I'm listening, always interested in the UI being more universal.

2) Whatever, I suggest that a Legend of the colors be shown on the page, to make it clear to new users what the colors are about. (I had to look in Documentation to learn about the colors and Templates.) Perhaps a permanent Legend at the top of the window titled "Colors of Templates"? That might get me clicking on the Template 'button' on the Components page?
Yup, it's literally in my todo list to make the legend more visible, agreed.

I'm a beta tester for an Aviation App.

The main software engineer isn't a pilot. So I am always having to suggest to him, after the fact, that he go back and change parts of the App that made sense to him as a non-pilot. (But that don't make sense to pilots.)

Not an apples-to-apples comparison here, because you know your stuff.

Still, it can't hurt to get outside feedback. (And perhaps this template feature was in a beta. (I've been out of the loop for a long time now.))

Back