VBS (Virtualization-based Security) on Windows 11

Yeah I've been wondering the same, current thoughts:

Potentially VBS is already removable with Containers and Isolated user mode components, as it sounds like the same feature, maybe even with Hypervisor/HyperV which would be its underlying technology.

That said, there is no way Microsoft would slow down its OS and push people to game on Linux, let's get real.
Probably signed games will bypass that feature, the game mode they introduced in Win10 will be expanded to disable VBS etc.
Don't know why is this making news, seems overblown.

Yeah I've been wondering the same, current thoughts:

Potentially VBS is already removable with Containers and Isolated user mode components, as it sounds like the same feature, maybe even with Hypervisor/HyperV which would be its underlying technology.

That said, there is no way Microsoft would slow down its OS and push people to game on Linux, let's get real.
Probably signed games will bypass that feature, the game mode they introduced in Win10 will be expanded to disable VBS etc.
Don't know why is this making news, seems overblown.

VBS is enabled by default on clean installs not when upgrading.

VBS is enabled by default on clean installs not when upgrading.
Yeah, and easy to check with MSInfo32.exe
scroll down to "Virtualization-based security".

Btw I can confirm that the Isolated User Mode component is the Virtualization Based Security, will add to its name for clarity.
And adding settings.

Then we'll see if it's more stubborn than that.

i think if you activate HyperV manually, or the Sandbox, or some of the "Guard" features in Defender, it'll activate VBS.

btw one of my friend told me that he did a clean install and his VBS was enabled by default.... we may need to test again with vanilla and edited iso.

Sure, let me know how it goes.
Also if manually enabled, there is a chance that the tweak to disable it also works.
However, if deployed with it auto-enabled, there are commands for boot manager that need to be executed, will add that to Post-setup templates in the next update.

New wallpapers and better window snapping come to latest Windows 11 preview builds
These preview builds of Windows 11 will also begin actively recommending that you enable the memory integrity security feature, showing you a notification when it's turned off (as it will be on all but the newest Windows 11 PCs by default). As we've written, the memory integrity feature (also called HVCI) runs best on newer CPUs that support a feature called mode-based execution control (MBEC). But even with MBEC support, you may notice a minor performance penalty for games and other CPU-heavy tasks. It's an easy call to enable it on a general-purpose laptop or a desktop you use primarily for work, but the trade-off could be more noticeable for a gaming PC or workstation that needs all the CPU power it can get.

Enabling the memory integrity feature won't be a prerequisite for installing or upgrading Windows 11 on these PCs, and the warning prompt is dismissible. If you're running Windows 11 on a PC with an unsupported CPU, it's probably best not to enable the memory integrity feature. Running it on older processors without MBEC support can have a much more noticeable performance penalty.

Disabling HVCI:
Enable virtualization-based protection of code integrity

Back