W11 Cumulative Update (March 12, 2024 - KB5035853)

This update is very interesting because I've been continuing to follow the Nvidia DPC bug and other gaming issues, and inside this latest Microsoft patch are two exciting fixes that I suspected were part of this problem and why the bug is so difficult to figure out. I mentioned them both a few times in those discussions as I started to narrow in on the culprits.

The patch notes I'm talking about say, "This update addresses an issue that might affect your computer when you are playing a game. Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) errors might occur." and, "This update affects the Desktop Window Manager (DWM). It improves its reliability."

These fixes are extremely promising because I did months of research and testing on this bug and came to the conclusion that it was a multi-part issue, which is why it couldn't be easily mitigated with a workaround. Part of the problem is on Microsoft's side, which has to do with TDR and DWM (which they started introducing with Vista and beyond), and then part of the problem is Nvidia's drivers.

The number of crashes that happen on Windows has skyrocketed ever since TDR got introduced, so it's always been bugged in my opinion. I saw an infinite number of screenshots and forum posts from people with TDR issues, and it has never been seriously addressed until maybe now. I have a feeling Microsoft looked into this after Nvidia communicated the bug to them and realized that Windows was part of the problem.

Either way, it's a step in the right direction, so hopefully this trend continues and we get more bugfixes of this nature.

Last edited:
TDR stood out to me too along with DWM, and seeing it's the preview, i hope those with the issues and are using this update can give feedback on whether it's helped ease or even resolve the issues.

Yeah for sure, I still think people with Nvidia cards will have to wait for a new driver that fully adresses it, but even just this here excites me more than anything I've seen from Microsoft in the last many years.

Good old Nvidia, makes me chuckle, they charge a high price, for unreliable cards and drivers to follow. Must be why AMD is way better in the Gpu department

Thats if you ever get a fix. Ive seen modern gpu prices :oops::eek:
yep. even the most simple gaming card, the nvidia rtx 4060, is 600$ or more. it's ridiculous how money hungry nvidia is. and you can get an rx 6600 by amd, that works almost as well, within ~15% performance of the 4060, for $300. only real difference being, no RTX fancy lighting nonsense, and the AMD is more power efficient

This is more like it, although its an old driver it works fine on w10 1809 .4499.
Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 06-32-16 asus amd r5 230 - Google Search.png

Intel Pentium Gold G7400, 46W. 46 lovely watts
Got the 105 on this system, stellar performer :)
Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 06-44-13 PC Air Coolers Intel CPU Air Coolers SCAN UK.png

Last edited:
Operation requires missing files going through Ntlite... what would I need to finish install?

For those that don't know I do installs through Ntlite since windows update has been removed on my system

Operation requires missing files going through Ntlite... what would I need to finish install?

For those that don't know I do installs through Ntlite since windows update has been removed on my system
My windows 11 doesn't have a proper working .net 3.5 which seems necessary for this install. Basic things don't work in installing but I should be able to figure it out.

Back