Wallpapers folder W11

clarensio

It seems to me that from this version (I don't know if intentionally or not), deleting "img0.jpg" involves, it seems to me, the deletion of everything present in this folder, for example a Company background and consequently inhibits any GPO setting on the background.

Since this is irrefutable, I simply wanted to have confirmation to put in place the right correctives.

Clearly until the previous version [9171] this did not happen...

Thank you

Maybe you can explain what you're doing. Are you deleting the default img0.jpg, and NOT leaving a replacement? NTLite doesn't have a feature to replace wallpapers, so it won't process images differently because the folder changed.

Certainly deflag a img0.jmg from NTLITE.
Then I add my company wallpapers in c:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\ (I add it by editing install.wim).

And all this exactly as always done (and up to the previous version, img0.jpg deleted my existing wallpapers and set them by default for all via GPO). from this version, during the installation of the O.S. Win11 "processed" with NTLITE is as if the c:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\ folder had undergone a del *.*: including my wallpapers and clearly inhibiting the related GPO.

I repeat all this since version 9191/9196 and as if this is set in post-install but that this happens is safe even if I made my OS the right fixes.

Did you confirm if NTLite removed the missing files, or if Windows install wiped them?

1. Loaded clean 22H2 image (22621.382).
2. Renamed img0.jpg, and copied a few other files to NLTmp\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows (using PowerRun instead of any icacls/takeown commands to preserve file ownership).
3. Saved image, and remounted it. Wallpaper folder is exactly the same after processing.
4. Installed image. Wallpaper folder is intact.

5. Repeated steps 1-4 with 22621.1265. Wallpaper folder is intact.

Am I leaving out a step?

I repeat what I have always done and that up to 9171 has always worked:
1) No imgo.jpg
<c>wallpaperdefault 'Wallpapers (Default)'</c>
<c>wallpapers 'Wallpapers (Themes)'</c>)
2) Add via $OEM$/$$... my wallpapers for all users via GPO
3) Image previously "processed" with NTLITE --> ISO prepared
4) during the installation also what was added via $OEM$... is deleted as if a batch ( del *.*) had been applied to the c:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\ folder 5) version used (via UUP) both 22621.1546 and 22621.1555
Then I repeat: I have already implemented the solution (creation of a c:\mywall folder with related GPO update, which works perfectly) but what I don't understand is this deletion (of the *.* ???) from the original c:\ folder Windows\Web\Wallpaper\ as if this were the only way to be sure of deleting the Themes and the default wallpapers img0.jpg which, among other things, doesn't work on the Home version anyway.

Then if this is the only way... ok I'll deal with it.
Thank you

I'm unable to recreate the problem.

1. Renamed img0.jpg inside the image's Wallpapers folder.
2. Removed <c>wallpapers 'Wallpapers (Themes)'</c>
3. Created "$OEM$\$$\Web\Wallpaper\Windows" with different files.
4. Installed image.

What I get is both sets of files (mounted image's Wallpaper and $OEM$ folder). Same results on builds .381 & .1265.
Unless the preview CU is adding a new security feature that blocks those files.

I didn't say but maybe it can be important...

Starting from the ISO with Home/Prof/Ent, I extract the Ent as install.wim which I call Ent1.

I modify it with NTLITE and in install.wim I apply/add my corporate wallpapers.

I import this "isolated" install.win to the ISO (of UUP) and create the final ISO with which, doing the installation from scratch, I encounter those problems.

Tomorrow if you want I can make a short video to show you the before, the installation, the final result. However beyond the "annoyance" at the moment I have completely overcome that impasse; the only thing that may or could have concerned me was whether or not to create a batch that accomplishes that "oddity". But then again, I have overcome that impasse.

Thank you

Does it work, if not deleting (uncheck) Wallpaper (Default) - img0.jpg?
Somehow it seems important, as user can chance the desktop background anyway.

Does it work, if not deleting (uncheck) Wallpaper (Default) - img0.jpg?
Somehow it seems important, as user can chance the desktop background anyway.
I couldn't tell you since my preset is always the same; except this annoyance of the wallpapers the O.S. it works perfectly

This morning I saw that UUP has released a new version of Win11: 22621.1631

I downloaded and NTLITE edited these versions always using the same preset and further modifications.

I then proceeded to prepare the overall final ISO (MULTI) with NTLITE and the subsequent installation (from scratch) on VM.

The inconsistency related to the wallpapers has not reoccurred.

Apologies to everyone for even "thinking" that NTLITE might be involved in this inconsistency.

However, in the light of what happened, I can assume that this problem may have depended on:
1) from my PC due to connection problems/power drop when downloading and preparing the initial ISO from UUP - very improbable hypothesis​
2) from the UUP site in terms of connectivity SRV in the initial ISO preparation phase - not very probable hypothesis even if some connectivity problems had arisen in the previous days.​
3) from Microsoft which, not surprisingly, released a new WCU which implemented the version from 1555 to 1631.​
4) from... misfortune/adverse fate.​

Apologies again to nuhi, garlin and all but good so that NTLITE has nothing to do with it.

Thank you and I will continue to monitor the situation anyway

Thanks for the feedback.
Just for clarity, img0.jpg should only be removed by wallpaperdefault 'Wallpapers (Default)' component, if anyone sees differently, let me know.

Back