What should I KEEP on Win 10 LTSB for successful Cumulative Updates install?

BorjaZD

Hello everybody, i'm totally desperated :mad: with the f.... Cumulative Updates.
Last June I created a Lited windows 10 LTSB with all CU working perfectly, at that time I tried several reinstallations removing and restoring components to find the perfect preset with succesfully working CU, then I installed my PC with all the programs.

But now in july I find that there are new CU and now to my surprise I see that the new July CU doesn't work. So, I arrived to the conclusion that not all the CU needs the same components to install properly at the windows installation, the required components changes every month, so the lited windows preset I made in June are not valid in July, this is the neverending story for meo_O.

I know that there are the Host Refresh feature but this is not an option to me, I cannot stay every month loosing a lot of time to restore everything in my computer and other computers where I installed that preset to have CU working.

My big question is, what is safe to remove to keep CU? or What I dont have to remove? maybe if I left all the System and Windows Apps untouched? somebody any idea?
Thank you so much
BorjaZD

I share your frustration. This isnt an answer but an observation about the current situation. Even w7 CUs have been borked(by design i think).

There are 3 CU updates in July, 3 cos they screwed up the first 2. If they cant get it right how are you supposed to? I think Nuhi is frustrated too because he posted that he spent time bug hunting(game over man) only to find it was an ms issue so if ms cant how can he so issues users have can be fixed too?

Your problem could be User(removed summat you shouldnt have), NTLite bug or MS issue. With the mess updates are in trackin down the culprit is going to be difficult. Windows 10 isnt as easy to shrink as windows 7 at the best of times but buggy updates are just not going to help. Thats why im back on w7 and changing my way of working. Windows offline workstation and Linux for online. Its why i stopped Bareboning and went for light remoivals that can quickly be adjusted for use on any os, saves a lot of headaches and time.

I only work within a known set of variables, ntlite build, updates etc. I can easily spot where an issue may be when i introduce a new variable and pass it on to Nuhi. Not everybody works my way unfortunately.

I apologise that this is not an answer you were hoping for more agreeing with you and pointing out the issues many users have.

Last edited:
BorjaZD, just make sure the Components - Compatibility - Windows Update is enabled.
If you had issues with that enabled, please attach that preset and let me know from which to which CU version the jump was from.

Host Refresh doesn't require you to reinstall anything, that's the whole benefit of it.
It just takes a bit longer to process than normally updating and requires the full ISO + new updates (easy with v1.7) + old preset.

Thanks.

Clanger, I don't follow your findings, why do you think I'm frustrated? Upgrading from MSU files worked for me for the last 3-4 months without a hickup on a very lite OS.
If you find an issue, please report it with a preset.

Dear Clanger,
I can confirm that after some issues that Nuhi already fixed in the past, I can update every month with comulative MSU without any issue.
So I think that by sharing preset and dism.log and cbs.log can be helping Nuhi to replicate your issue.

Fil

Hello thank you for your answers.
nuhi , I have Windows Update enabled in Components-compatibility, but i'm still having problems with CU, in this case with KB4338814 and KB4338822
i'll post here my preset, maybe this can help to find what component are causing the CU errors
thanks

Last edited:
Hi BorjaZD,

ok, I have tried your preset on the 14393.576 image and live, and the installation of KB4338822 works afterwards.

Can you please try to download and install this manually (or via NTLite-Source-Tools-Install Updates).
Still will try Windows Update download, this could be the case of the delta update support, which lite OS does not support most of the times for the reason that the delta is compared to the full Windows.

Let me know if you do try, or did try, the full update manual install.
Or maybe you remember doing something else inbetween the install and the CU.

Thanks.

Back