Which one to choose? boot.wim or install.wim

SM03

Which one to choose while selecting a Windows Image (ISO) file from NTLite for customising/modding? Are there any major differences between choosing these two or any advantages or disadvantages? I've been curious about this but never manage to ask this here in NTLite forum so excuse me if it's already answered somewhere else in this Forum & please redirect me to the appropriate link of that answer.

Kasual Clanger nuhi if you guys could help me for better understanding.

P.S: I think that all the implementation of customisation or modification should've been implemented to the root of the ISO via the Boot.wim so that's why I always choose Boot.wim while using NTLite, without having any other solid info/knowledge,

Attachments

• Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    110.8 KB
boot.wim drives the setup, add any required ahci/raid/usb3(3.1) drivers to this, actual drivers, inf's sys's etc, not driver installers. Always keep boot.wim/Microsoft Windows Setup. Many home users can delete the PE part. When you get to the 1st restart during setup thats when setup switches from boot.wim to the files(now on the ssd/hdd) from the install.wim.

install.wim is the actual installation, select this one. :)

boot.wim can be lited but it doesnt make a difference to the final installation. The only time you will need to lite the boot.wim is when you are using dvd optical discs to install. A single layer dvd-r/rw disc has 4.3GB usable(after formatting, Nero 9). If you are using a usb key as the install media then you wont need to touch the boot wim. I have been using Rufus protable to prepare my usb keys, you have to select an iso so always create an iso.
Use the settings in the image below. :)

I always use Sandisk usb keys, they are reliable and take a lot of punishment. An 8GB key is 7.2gb usable when formatted, 16 gives 14.5. I always use 32gb keys, 29gb formatted. Plenty of room for updates during setup or after 1st logon and driver installers, chipset display audio etc. Handy to have the extra headroom when testing.

Rufus settings.png

Last edited:
boot.wim drives the setup, add any required ahci/raid/usb3(3.1) drivers to this, actual drivers, inf's sys's etc, not driver installers. Always keep boot.wim/Microsoft Windows Setup. Many home users can delete the PE part. When you get to the 1st restart during setup thats when setup switches from boot.wim to the files(now on the ssd/hdd) from the install.wim.

boot.wim can be lited but it doesnt make a difference to the final installation. The only time you will need to lite the boot.wim is when you are using dvd optical discs to install. A single layer dvd-r/rw disc has 4.3GB usable(after formatting, Nero 9). If you are using a usb key as the install media then you wont need to touch the boot wim. I have been using Rufus protable to prepare my usb keys, you have to select an iso so always create an iso.
Use the settings in the image below. :)

I always use Sandisk usb keys, they are reliable and take a lot of punishment. An 8GB key is 7.2gb usable when formatted, 16 gives 14.5. I always use 32gb keys, 29gb formatted. Plenty of room for updates during setup or after 1st logon and driver installers, chipset display audio etc. Handy to have the extra headroom when testing.

View attachment 1793
Hello,

Yes, I've been using the USB thumb drive as my only OS installer MEDIA since the Windows 7 (2009) days & I use Rufus too in my SanDisk Ultra 32GB PD.

I understand the differences you mentioned here for both but, my question remains unanswered, which one I need to choose at the first step while making an ISO customizable via NTLite (as shown into the screenshot)

boot.wim or install.wim

& FYI, even though I ditched my DVD driver & DVDs almost a decade ago, & use the thumb drive for OS installation since then, still, I don't delete the boot.win/Win PEx64 from the ISO in the last step of NTLite just to avoid any clash or error.

"I understand the differences you mentioned here for both but, my question remains unanswered, which one I need to choose at the first step while making an ISO customizable via NTLite (as shown into the screenshot)

Oh no it doesnt

"I understand the differences you mentioned here for both but, my question remains unanswered, which one I need to choose at the first step while making an ISO customizable via NTLite (as shown into the screenshot)

Oh no it doesnt
hmm, ok, later, I found that no matter what we choose, boot or install.wim, in NTLite. both will be listed & can be loaded. So that makes my original question kinda pointless I am feeling right now.

Attachments

• Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    67.3 KB
You select an isolated wim file or a folder containing all the iso contents. Selecting the wim only means you wont be able to delete any uneeded folders you find inside the iso.

Back