Why Are Manually Added Drivers Autorunning?

tharri

I made an iso for our home computers. I included the latest Realtek network adapters to the iso. When I installed it on my son's computer, this shows up on Autoruns:

autoruns.PNG

The thing is, he doesn't have a Realtek network adapter (he has Intel), and he doesn't even have WiFi.

So my question is, why are these manually added drivers autorunning?

I don't want to have to go in and remove extra drivers from autostarting when I install it on different systems.
you might have to at 1st. autoruns adds an additional "autoruns disabled"(or similar) entry when it disables something. when you install once on a certain machine, backup that registry entry and save it for nextime, add to Post Setup. use RegFromApp to sniff Autoruns output.

I'm not concerned about removing them. I'm just wondering why they are enabled by default. I'm making this iso for my work too and I don't want to have to go in and remove extra drivers from autostarting when I install it on different systems.
This script is used on end machine, to clean it from drivers that don't have hardware on that machine, It's perfect for Multi HW ISOs to keep only HW related drivers installed

that nearly answers a question. what about unplugged hardware/drivers, does it leave those in?

I'm interested in that answer as well as that could be problematic for things like Xbox360 or XboxOne Controllers which often require a hacked Device driver for the wireless adapter to run on a windows computer, specifically windows 7 since Microsoft retroactively decided that XboxOne controllers were windows 10 only. in my case I forcefully install those on every usb port for compatibility reasons.

If this tool removed those that would be unfortunate.

Yes if its OEM (3rd) driver and current HW is not using them it be uninstalled. Its done using PNPUtil

To Clarify, so it would remove the device drivers of non present devices such as an XboxOne Controller driver for USB Port 5 if that controller is plugged into USB Port 2 ?

ok, i'll probably end up modifying it so it only removes unused network adapters ... like jack above, i have xbox controller drivers and a few others that i won't want to remove just because they are not plugged in at the time

This all still begs the question... Why is this happening in the first place? Stock Windows drivers don't load unless needed. Why do integrated third-party drivers? Could this be the result of improper installation on the iso?

its how realtek want it. other drivers may have a different service start type depending on what sort of hardware it is.
on my systems autoruns will show drivers for non existent hardware so its not a problem.

its how realtek want it. other drivers may have a different service start type depending on what sort of hardware it is.
on my systems autoruns will show drivers for non existent hardware so its not a problem.

That's what I don't understand. I looked at the .inf files and they both have manual/demand for their start-up type, not auto.

Back