WI-FI connection intermittent

Kombowz

Hi everyone, I hope all is well with you all.

I've just noticed an issue that I'm unsure as to what is causing it.
My internet connection seems to connect and disconnect within 5-10 seconds over and over again.
I've only noticed the issue with wi-fi so far but I was wondering if anyone knew a specific component or other that could cause this to happen.

I don't have access to the preset at the moment but I figured someone may know what it is off hand that would potentially cause this. Once I do however, I will post it.

Thank you all in advance, have a great day.

Normally this is a bad Wi-Fi driver. If you installed a specific driver, check the current version again. Windows Update can replace your previous driver with a "better" version which may worsen performance. Otherwise, you may be getting too much Wi-Fi traffic interference from neighboring networks.

You can disable WU driver updates from Settings:
Windows Update / Automatic driver update mode -> Never
Windows Update / Automatically update device drivers and icons over the Internet -> Disable

Good day Garlin,

As always, I appreciate you.
Unfortunately this is not the case as the driver is specific to the hardware it's being used for and windows updates have been removed.

Something happened in my preset, I just don't know what. It's odd, as it connects, disconnects, connects, disconnects over and over again... It's something either in components or scheduled tasks that was removed that is causing it to act this way.

I'm at work right now staging a Sobeys store, so I can't post the preset at the moment. I was just hoping that someone experienced this issue before and knew what caused it.

Most of the NTLite removals or settings you can change will tend to completely break functionality, not cause it to bounce in a loop. If you get a chance, please attach your preset after removing any user passwords or license key.

...My internet connection seems to connect and disconnect within 5-10 seconds over and over again...
Being Wi-Fi, there's also a good chance it's router or ISP related. Check out this thread (link) about a bug that affects many different routers. Do a test on your router by manually setting a channel, then save and reboot the router through the interface or with a power cycle. Now, login again and check if the channel changed by itself, and if it did then that thread may be the problem.

If it didn't change, surf the web for a bit and get multiple devices online in your house simultaneously doing something, and play a multiplayer game if possible. Check the router again after that and see if the channel changed. The point of this test is that the extra traffic and signal interference can prompt the ISP software to adjust your router automatically, and each time it can result in packet loss or disconnects.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I appreciate all of the help. I've figured out what was causing the issue.

For those having the same issue, there are a few settings that affect wi-fi that you may way to take note of.

1. Setting Sync - Seems to make it that you can connect, and use the internet but it will always seem to say no internet access. This isn't normally an issue until you try signing into MS based apps which uses this as a means to determine if you're connected to the internet.

2. Network Connection status monitor - this one caused a similar issue with connection status

I have to check the auto-saved vs the original and I will post the others I've found. Hopefully this will help others out as well

Network Connectivity Status Indicator (NCSI) is a misunderstood part of Windows, which probes if you have a valid network connection. But its results are not always informative.

Every few minutes, NCSI does an active probe:
1. Opens DNS query for www.msftconnecttest.com
2. Opens HTTP (not HTTPS) connection, and downloads a single test file.
3. Checks the file contents, which are always fixed.

What does this actually test?
1. DNS works to the Akamai-hosted test servers. But your DNS lookups for other domains might be broken.
2. You have a network route to the remote host, and your firewall allows a connection to download a file. Routing to other domains or hosts might be broken, and your firewall might be blocking other sites.

If the active probe fails, obviously something is wrong. But a positive probe result doesn't mean you won't have other network issues.

The undocumented result of failing NCSI is MS online services will stop trying to connect, because the probe instructs them there's no point wasting time on a broken network. WU, Defender, OneDrive, Skype, Teams and Office products will pause all network requests until they notice NCSI is restored as "working". But this behavior happens only because MS added this logic to their software.

Non-MS apps don't bother checking NCSI, and will just open a network connection. Disabling NCSI probes means the probe results are never updated, and Windows itself is stuck believing the network is permanently "offline".

There's an optional NCSI app, but that's not the actual software performing the test. Check for any network-related changes in your preset.

Back