Win 11 Build on Win 8.1 - What is possible?

BigLeo

I'm trying to create a new ISO for Win 11 Pro. It seemed to be going okay but then I got error messages.

If I'm understanding the errors corretctly it seems to be saying that it cannot create a Win 11 ISO when running on Win 8.1.

Is that correct?

Are there just some things it cannot do or is it not possible to create a Win 11 Pro ISO on Win 8.1 at all?

BigLeo You cant build w11 on w8.1,
Usually, newer DISM / ADK have issues on downlevel Windows, but not the opposite way around

e.g. Windows 7 Host will have issues updating Windows 11 or Windows 10 > 1903 images
even Windows 8.1 can't service Windows 11 > 22H2 images properly

I'm trying to create a new ISO for Win 11 Pro. It seemed to be going okay but then I got error messages.

If I'm understanding the errors corretctly it seems to be saying that it cannot create a Win 11 ISO when running on Win 8.1.

Is that correct?

Are there just some things it cannot do or is it not possible to create a Win 11 Pro ISO on Win 8.1 at all?
Are you saying you are running win 8.1 and wanting to make a iso of windows 11?

Due to DISM's host limitations, a W10 or 11 platform is required to build a W11 image in terms of:
- adding Updates, Feature or Appx packages​
- enabling Features on Demand​
- DISM cleanup​

Otherwise you can use W7 or 8.1 platform to prepare a W10 or 11 ISO in terms of:
- exporting, appending or deleting image editions​
- adding drivers​
- changing Settings​
- integrating Registry files​
- adding Post-Setup tasks​

If you cannot upgrade to W10, then it's possible to run NTLite (slowly) inside a VM hosted on 8.1.

If you cannot upgrade to W10, then it's possible to run NTLite (slowly) inside a VM hosted on 8.1.
painfully slow and tight as a crabs ass on ram.

Due to DISM's host limitations, a W10 or 11 platform is required to build a W11 image in terms of:
- DISM cleanup​
thats the major stuff stuffed then.

Otherwise you can use W7 or 8.1 platform to prepare a W10 or 11 ISO in terms of:
- adding drivers​
- changing Settings​
depending on a users needs that lot might be enough and if user/ntlite does non dism removals using the tools custom removal/dism cleaning engine it may be possible, 'spesh if user is loading a captured image.

personally i build a w10 on a w10 install and always leave 100gb spare on my c: drive ssd for such occasions.

- DISM cleanup​

- adding drivers​
- changing Settings​

So, why did NTLite not detect I was running 8.1 and warn me.... or did I miss it somewhere?

My current PC cannot run 10 or 11.

I do have a laptop running 10 but I'm not sure how many PC's the NTLite license lets me run it on?

Sorry for the late replies but I didn't get an email about the posts.

From the Apply screen, NTLite does warn you that some servicing actions aren't possible. Because you're still allowed to perform other tasks like I listed, NTLite will load the W11 image for you without comment.

I prepare W10 & 11 images all the time on W7 – when all I'm doing is removing components. More than half the questions on this forum are really "did I remove the wrong set of features?", and those fall into the second category of supported imaging functions.

Every NTLite license include 5 activations, where you can choose up to 5 different PC's (or the same PC if swapping out major components like the CPU or boot drive changes the HW identifier). Run NTLite on your second PC; all activated copies run independent of each other.

I tried to use NTLite on my notebook running Win Pro.

It installed okay and clicking on the icon caused a process to run, but no window was displayed.

Thinking that the latest version may not run on Win 10 Pro I uninstalled it and installed an older version.

Same problem, a process was started and was consuming CPU/memory but no window was displayed.

What is going on? Am I doing something stupid? I've never seen an issue like this before.

Sounds like a possible UAC permissions issue. Check your AppData\Local\Temp folder for a NTLite.log.

No log file. Tried re-installing and now I don't even get a process starting. No errors - nothing.

Tried running as administrator and made no difference.

I've never seen anything like this before. Makes me love Linux even more!!!

No log file. Tried re-installing and now I don't even get a process starting. No errors - nothing.

Tried running as administrator and made no difference.

I've never seen anything like this before. Makes me love Linux even more!!!
I like Linux Mint just as much as the other guy but I always have to use a cleaned out windows for just about almost everything now a days.

Don't get me wrong Linux has its purpose in the ecosystem but there is a reason that windows is the dominant player in the game and Ntlite is the coach. A player cannot be great without a great coach!

Win 11 24H2 fixed the issue with Win 8.1 not being able service it (add updates, features, drivers), Appx packages servicing never stopped working

however, other issues or incomptibility may surface

I like Linux Mint just as much as the other guy but I always have to use a cleaned out windows for just about almost everything now a days.
Don't get me wrong Linux has its purpose in the ecosystem
debian live has been great for basic internet duties and for times i need to get online if i dont have a working windows install somewhere.

Back