Win10 Fall Creators Update Maps broken after NTLite

slickric21

I am having an issue that i cant open the Maps app on any of my 3 devices (1 fresh install, 2 refreshes) that i have installed with the latest 'ntlited' Windows Creators Fall update.

Note the app opens briefly then closes. I have removed and reinstalled via poweshell but still they same thing happens on all devices.

I have been using the same preset for well over a year now to remove the same things and do a few reg tweaks, enable .net 3.5 & this is the first time i've had any issue with maps.

Used ntlite 1.4.1.5632 and Win 10 x64 Home 1709.iso (used media creation tool to download .esd and ntlite to extract iso)

attached the autosave session.

Any ideas ?
cheers for the help

Ok I will give that a try.

I'd be surprised if this helps as ive been removing oneconnect for a long time now and this is the first time starting with build 1709 that its caused a problem for Maps

I'd be surprised if this helps as ive been removing oneconnect for a long time now and this is the first time starting with build 1709 that its caused a problem for Maps
I wouldn't be surprised, as microsoft everyday is making more components co-dependant.

Ok tried this out, fresh source 1709, same preset as above but left oneconnect in the image.

Maps still broken.

I’ve tried various ‘fixes’ found online to try and get maps working (reset app, uninstall & reinstall ) nothing works, the app just closes as soon as it’s launched.

I also noticed another problem with my preset now aswell - which only started post 1709- Microsoft Edge now is insanely slow.
At first I thought it was broken, as it just loads up an empty page on opening.
After several minutes of doing nothing I changed the address to www.google.co.uk and the loaded up, albeit very slowly. However it was too slow and laggy to actually be useable.

Again this problem didn’t manifest prior to 1709 using the same preset I’ve been using for over 18months on all Win10 releases.

Seems the FCU 1709 has changed a lot and is rendering ntlite almost defunct now

@slickric21, thanks for reporting, confirmed and fixed for next.
For Maps it was the Sticky Notes app, due to some RS3 changes.

edit: Edge seems fine, let me know when you keep this App, or test the pre-release, if it's also solved.
But I now retested without the fix, build 5675, and I don't notice any Edge slowness on Google.

Thanks. Let me know if you want the pre-release version on email.

Last edited:
Brilliant thanks for looking into this for me.

Does that mean that Sticky Notes can no longer be removed ? Or can it be removed with the new version of ntlite ?

Yes I’d love to try the new version to test out if u can email it that would be awesome.

Regarding Edge, I have tested this in my other 2 devices, both desktops (one had a fresh install, the other a refresh) and Edge works fine on those.

On my laptop is where Edge isn’t working properly, and now I find IE isn’t also.
I suspect it is something specific to the Laptop... driver or something maybe I don’t know, and not NTlite - so I may have thrown you a wild goose chase there sorry.

One thing I did notice however on the Laptop, is that after loading up the new iso (via the refresh method) Edge tries to launch and attempts to go to a page called ‘what’s new’ or something along those lines on first boot. I’ve just been closing that down as the page never opens.
That didn’t happen on the desktop that had a fresh install, nor the desktop that had a refresh.
Weird hey ??

On my laptop is where Edge isn’t working properly, and now I find IE isn’t also.
I suspect it is something specific to the Laptop... driver or something maybe I don’t know, and not NTlite - so I may have thrown you a wild goose chase there sorry.

One thing I did notice however on the Laptop, is that after loading up the new iso (via the refresh method) Edge tries to launch and attempts to go to a page called ‘what’s new’ or something along those lines on first boot. I’ve just been closing that down as the page never opens.
That didn’t happen on the desktop that had a fresh install, nor the desktop that had a refresh.
Weird hey ??
Regarding Edge slowness, have you installed graphics drivers?

About IE, i had an issue, i had to enable protected mode.
The ISO (source) for the refresh, did you enable Protected mode in IE in Tweaks - user?
nuhi said:
For the IE + Telemetry, in the latest version 5537 there is the description there saying to enable the two new tweaks:
"Enable Enhanced Protected Mode"
"Enable 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protected Mode"

That is Microsoft's limitation if Telemetry semi-disabled before install, but since those two settings increase security, I don't see why not enable them.

You can set Telemetry to Security (lowest, 0 setting), and disable service "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry", that should disable main bit of it.

I made no tweaks to IE with NTlite at all, the only stuff I did was attached in the preset. And yes latest GFX drivers installed, note Chrome and Firefox run fine on the laptop.

However the quote you posted from Nuhi is interesting, the laptop - which is the device having problems with Edge and IE being so slow they are unusable - was a refresh install and I have used 'O&O Shutup 10' to disable a lot of the telemetary in the past........hmmmmmm

I will revert as much as I can back to stock with the O&O program before I do my next refresh on the laptop....... hopefully as soon as Nuhi sends me over the email with the build that fixes the maps issue I can test it out.

Just another update to this, i have noticed that the Windows Photos viewer is also broken (on the 3 machines that used the preset in post 1)

If I try to double click on any photo to open it, the photo app opens, shows the picture briefly, then closes itself.

If I launch the Photos app by itself, it will open and i can manage collections/folders/stories - change settings for the app, but if i try to open any picture then the app will close !!

Think its looking like im going to have to cut my losses with removing apps from the iso with ntlite and just remove them all post install via powershell :(
Shame as everything worked great upto 1709

Just another update to this, i have noticed that the Windows Photos viewer is also broken (on the 3 machines that used the preset in post 1)

If I try to double click on any photo to open it, the photo app opens, shows the picture briefly, then closes itself.

If I launch the Photos app by itself, it will open and i can manage collections/folders/stories - change settings for the app, but if i try to open any picture then the app will close !!

Think its looking like im going to have to cut my losses with removing apps from the iso with ntlite and just remove them all post install via powershell :(

You can't open Photos because you have removed Photos with the preset in post #1 or it's a lie, recheck your preset.

Blame Ms is who makes lots of changes to windows trying to make users don't notice it is the windows phone OS slowly replacing windows PC on an every six months basis.

I think i'll stick to v1703 because there is some things better yet.

Your right !! I had removed the Photos App, as per the preset.

However it still was installed on the systems somehow ???
I dont know why. Maybe its something to do with it being a new photos app.

I think its time for a new iso with no removals, only integrate updates and a few reg tweaks, nothign else seems safe anymore !!

Photos app is being removed on my side (didn't test your preset yet but compared to mine), are you sure that you didn't use another preset or made changes in NTLite?

Yeah its the preset I used alright.

From memory the photos app used to be more of a viewer - abit like the older photo viewer (which i have now had to re enable via registry on my devices) only more modern and with some built in editing capability.
That was the app that I used to remove.

This new Photos app is completley different and is more of an organiser, it forces you to sign in to a MS account upon opening it.

For a test I have uninstalled this app via CCleaner, rebooted, then redownloaded 'Microsoft Photos' from store.
It exhibits the same problem, the app will open if you open it via its tile.It appears to be working as normal, you can change settings etc However as soon as you try to view a photo/image it briefly opens in then closes down.

Anyway I will try to build a new iso tommorow for more testing, still waiting for Nuhi to send across the test version with the Maps fix

The legacy Windows Photo Viewer needs to associate file formats only, that is something to polish in NTLite.

Did you connect to the net when the Windows setup suggested?

This new Photos app is completley different and is more of an organiser, it forces you to sign in to a MS account upon opening it.
Ms is breaking everything, the screen keyboard in 1703 can be split to the sides but in 1709 is the opposite, it can be only compacted in the size of 1/7 or so in the bottom center of the screen.

@slickric21, sorry for the delay, sent you a test version now. You should be able to use your preset as before, no limitations that I know of.
If you see any issue, please reply to my email with the exact preset used from the ISO (autosaved session).
Make sure to use original ISO + latest cumulative.

Thanks.

Back