Windows 10 21H2 Activated WITHOUT contacting Microsoft!

Had something weird happen just after a Windows 10 installation, and I'm wondering if it has happed to anyone else. Windows activated as soon as I entered my Product Key, but I was NOT connected to the internet. Here's how it happened:

1.) Downloaded a fresh 21H2 ISO directly from Microsoft.

2.) Used (a paid-for, registered copy of) NtLite to ONLY do the following: Trim all editions exept Pro, Download and integrate the latest updates specific to version 21H2, add the local Administrator account, disable the initializatoin of automatic updates, downloads, activation, etc. on first start-up, and very little else. I added nor removed no other components, drivers, or installers. (I did NOT enter the Product Key to be integrated by NtLite into the install files!)

3.) Used Rufus to create a bootable USB drive from which to install Windows.

4.) Removed the original M.2 SSD from the computer, added a brand new, never used M.2 SSD to the computer and installed the NtLite'd Windows 10.

5.) Started up the computer with the fresh install and added the Product Key via the "Change the key" link on the "About" screen within Window's "Settings."

6.) Then I went to the "Activation Settings" screen in order to activate Windows (after which I has planned on using NtLite to thoroughly gut the live install of Windows, removing such nuisances as Microsoft Store, Updates, Security Center, Metro Apps, Edge, etc, etc.) [Normally, I'd simply run "slui.exe 4" in order to activate by phone. Its how I'd activated Windows every single time before this. But last time, the automated system rejected my attempt and patched me over to a Customer Service rep with whom I got into an argument about my version of Windows. He kept telling me that my Windows product key had been used before and that I had to buy Windows again. I told him he was mistaken, because my version of Windows was a full retail version that could be migrated to a new system, but that it didn't matter anyway, since I was reinstalling it on the same and only system it had ever been installed on. Finally, after he started screaming at me, I just hung up the phone on the guy, and called right back. This time the automated sytem activated without any issues. But, this most recent time, I thought I'd try activation by internet, just to avoid the potential hassle.]

So, after clicking on the Activatin Settings tab, to my complete surprise, it stated "Windows is activated with a digital license." Mind you, I used NtLite to disable Windows from automatically starting the activation routine. Further, the computer had not been and was not connected to the internet during any of this process. No ethernet cable to my router. No connection via Wifi, at least none where I'd signed in to any connections; plus I didn't even have the wifi antenna connected to the motherboard. There's no public hotspots around me, only neighbors routers and they're all secured! Yet, there it was. Windows was mysteriously activated!

Since then, I've used the computer as normal, accessing the internet, and the system has remained "activated," and its never prompted me to activate Windows. So, what gives? How did this system activate? Do you think Microsoft has added a "white-list" of known, good Product keys in its installers that automatically activate when entered? How else could this have happened? Anybody have a clue?

Thanks!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-b399-2820fda32227#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

Methods of activation​

Depending on how you got your copy of Windows 10, you'll need either a digital license or a 25-character product key to activate it. Without one of these, you won't be able to activate your device.
  • A digital license (called a digital entitlement in Windows 10, Version 1511) is a method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key.
  • A product key is a 25-character code used to activate Windows. What you'll see is PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.
After determining which activation method you use, follow the steps in the corresponding Activate using a digital license or Activate using a product key.

Activate using a digital license​

Digital licenses are associated with your hardware and linked to your Microsoft account, so there's nothing you need to find on your PC. You're all set once your PC is connected to the internet and you log in to your Microsoft account.

If you don't have a digital license, you can use a product key to activate. To learn how to activate using a product key, follow the steps at Activate using a product key.

If you have a digital license for your device, you can reinstall the same edition of Windows 10 on this device without entering a product key.

Make sure that Windows 10 is activated before you try to reinstall it. To find out, select the Start button, and then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation . You’ll be able to confirm that your Windows 10 has been activated and that your Microsoft account is associated with your digital license.

Here are the possible messages that display on the Activation page:

Activation statusDescription
Windows is activated with a digital licenseYour Microsoft account is not linked to your digital license. Follow instructions for Linking your Microsoft account.
Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft accountYour Microsoft account is already linked to your digital license.

If Windows 10 isn’t activated on your device, see Get help with Windows activation errors for more info.

If your digital license is not linked to your Microsoft account, follow the steps under Checking your Activation status, Linking your Microsoft account.

Once you have your account linked, then you can run setup to reinstall Windows 10. For more info about how to create installation media to reinstall Windows 10, go to the Microsoft software download website. When creating installation media, make sure to choose the edition of Windows 10 that matches the edition already installed on your device.

During reinstallation, if you’re asked to enter a product key, you can skip this step by selecting I don't have a product key. Windows 10 will automatically activate online after the installation is complete. If you linked your digital license with your Microsoft account, be sure to sign in to the Microsoft account that is linked to the digital license.

garlin,

Thank you for your reply, but:

-I don't have a Microsoft Account. (Certainly didn't log into one, and as far as I can rememeber, I've never even created one. Have always used NtLite to disable/remove it.)
-I don't have a "digital license" as far as I understand it. I have a full, boxed retail copy of Windows 10 Pro, bought from an authorized reseller, that came with an official Microsoft USB thumb drive and a Product Key card. It is the same product key that was used to activate on the same hardware (motherboard, processor, ram, and GPU), activated by phone at least three previous times.
-The install media was completely generic, downloaded from Microsoft. The hardware is retail, generic hardware, not OEM that has a deal with Microsoft. Plus, this same hardware, except for the new SSD, always required manual activation with the same product key multiple times before.
-I was NOT connected to the internet at any time before the thing declared it had been activated. So, there was no way it could've phoned home to be verified by Microsoft.
-My other computer, which was manually activated by phone using a different product key, but one that is also from a full retail boxed version also says "Windows is activated with a digital license." and like the one in question, does not have nor has ever been linked to a Microsoft account.

I'm telling you, this thing activated through no previously known (to me) method. So, I don't know if its some kind of glitch, or if Microsoft has made some kind of change OR if the latest version of NtLite has unintentionally altered Windows, causing it to become "activated" even though it never went through the activation process. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!

What's the Partial Product Key you get when you run slmgr.vbs /dli
The affected PC is a htpc/gaming machine that I use at work. (I work in emergency services, so there's lots of down time.) So, it may be a day or so before I can run that command on the PC in question. But, I'll update as soon as I can.

The affected PC is a htpc/gaming machine that I use at work. (I work in emergency services, so there's lots of down time.) So, it may be a day or so before I can run that command on the PC in question. But, I'll update as soon as I can.
So, I was finally able to run the command on the affected computer. Here's the results:

"Windows Scrip Host

Name: Windows(R), Professional edition
Description: Windows(R) Operating System, RETAIL channel
Partial Product Key: XXXXX
License Status: Licensed"

Note: XXXXX seen above has been substitued in place of an actual section of my Product Key code.

I ran the command on my home PC, which has a retail copy of Windows that was bought from the same source as the one in question, and was activated manually by phone, and it says the exact same thing (only with a different partial product key, of course.

The idea is to check the partial key
if it's 3V66T then it's the generic retail key for Pro edition, which is used for digital license

The idea is to check the partial key
if it's 3V66T then it's the generic retail key for Pro edition, which is used for digital license
Its not 3V66T. Its a section of my actual product key. Its either the first group or last group. Can't remember which off the top of my head. (I left the product key card with the retail box at home. So I don't have it with me right now.)

8QKTT is a known phone activation MAK key. I'll defer to abbodi on what it means.

Last edited:
I just found a text file on a portable hard drive that I'd saved back in 2018 when I had updated my Windows (actually a fresh installation of a NtLite'd microsoft ISO). I saved my Product Key along with the Installation ID and Confirmation Code as I activated by phone, just to have for future reference. The 8QKTT is the last group of my original Product Key.

A quick search for "MAK key" has me worried about having bought a bootleg copy of Windows, because the first link is to a Microsoft page that talks about volume licensing stuff. But I bought it from Amazon.com and Amazon was the seller and shipper. (I never buy from 3rd party sellers.) It was sold as a retail, boxed version of Window's 10 and looks as legit as any other I've seen. (I own three retail boxed versions of Windows 10. One from Newegg.com and two from Amazon.com, and they all look identical.)

So, anybody know what "phone activation MAK key" means? (I'm gonna be super p'd off if I've got some kind of bootleg copy!)

If you can dig up the original sticker/card from the Retail box, and see if that appears online -- you'll know. Now some people say if they've upgraded or reactivated thru phone/online, they get a placeholder key since their copy was converted to digital form.

Digital means MS activation servers recognize your PC's HW profile. Whenever a system goes online, the SPP service will phone home and silently activate anything with a digital license. Linking it to a personal MS account is optional.

8QKTT is Retail key actually, and can be used to establish digital license (if activatable)
i think either MS just registered your HWID with the key from previous activation, or when you upgraded from Win10 version to another

some MAK and Retail keys get leaked or "reselled" multiple times

8QKTT is Retail key actually, and can be used to establish digital license (if activatable)
i think either MS just registered your HWID with the key from previous activation, or when you upgraded from Win10 version to another

some MAK and Retail keys get leaked or "reselled" multiple times
O.k. So, you're saying that MS may have simply given my key an automatic pass based on a match to a pre-recorded hardware I.D? I guess that makes sense. But, how would it have activated unless that key and HWID had been stored as part of the Windows install files? Again, I was not connected to the internet, at least not by a hardline. I suppose the wireless card may have picked up my wifi signal without the antenna being connected. But even if it did, there are no unsecured connections in my neighborhood, and I definitely did not enter my password to connect to my router. Is it possible that Windows could have bypassed that security somehow enough to still phone home? I doubt it. But even if true, I used NtLite to suppress the activation routine until I manually started it. I'm still stumped!

Another possibility just occurred to me. I have a secondary SSD in this computer that is used for storage and as the install folder for games. Is it possible Windows stored activation information on that drive from the previous install?

No, only OEM SLP keys work offline, other keys rquire connection
and activation data is not saved locally (except for upgrades)

it's possible that Windows mimic activation state offline based on the key, and when you connected, it established the actual activation
it sometimes do that for first logon

Windows searches everywhere for an answer file during setup so it might also search for activation files, might be what happened.
Try again but disconnect all drives except for c:\.

Last edited:

it's possible that Windows mimic activation state offline based on the key, and when you connected, it established the actual activation

this might also happened to me lots of times...

All I know is that I followed the same routine I always do. I used NtLite to prepare Windows 10 for install, just as I've done at least ten different times now, probably more times than that, actually. And everytime, I've enabled the built-in Administrator account, setting it to automatically log-in (without a password). Upon first start-up, I went into the Settings menu in order to "change" the Product I.D. Normally, at this point, I would have manually ran "slui.exe 4" in order to start the phone activation routine. But, the last time I called to activate, I had a MS tech literally screaming at me, yelling that I couldn't transfer my Windows key from one PC to another, no matter which version I had bought, and that I'd have to buy another license. But, as I previously mentioned, I just hung up on the jerk, called back right away, and it activated through the automated process without issue. So, this latest time, I changed my process. Instead of running the phone activation routine, I thought I'd try to activate over the internet. But, I'd never done that before and didn't even know how it was supposed to work. So, immediately after inputting my Product key, I just typed "activation" in the "Type here to search" bar, hoping the proper screen would pop up. It showed the tab with the big blue check mark and said "Activation Settings." So, I clicked on that and the window opened that says "Activation" at the top, and to my great suprise, it already said "Windows is activated with a digital license." And that ALL before I ever connected to the internet.

Windows searches everywhere for an answer file during setup so it might also search for activation files. Try again but disconnect all drives except for c:\.
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I still have the jump drive unchanged from when I installed Windows. I'll disconnect everything except for C:\ drive, wipe it, reinstall from the same source, and see what happens. Will update here once I get around to doing that. (May be a few days.)

In the mean time, thanks to everyone, so far, for the thoughts and suggestions.

Back