Windows 10 LTSB comes without Cortana

• Thread starter Deleted member 763
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 763

But can still have Search in Start Menu AND also in Settings, how come you can't get that when you remove Cortana in NTLite on a Windows 10 Home/Pro?

LTSB does contain Cortana.

Cortana -Removes the Cortana assistant, tray/start menu search and Settings search functionalities (Microsoft.Windows.Cortana)

LTSB does contain Cortana.

Cortana -Removes the Cortana assistant, tray/start menu search and Settings search functionalities (Microsoft.Windows.Cortana)

No, Cortana isn't in the LTSB version. If you load a LTSB in NTLite it appears to be there, but that's only containing things for tray/start menu search and settings search functionality and maybe some other things tied in with Cortana. But the actual Cortana voice assistant isn't.

Long-Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) excludes Windows Store, most Cortana functionality, and most bundled apps (including Microsoft Edge). Source.

To say it doesnt contain Cortana is misleading, it still contains some of it. It is better to be technically correct and say it has some Cortana. That will stop any confusion because if people are told LTSB doesnt have Cortana and after loading into NTLite they see it does have some then they will start questioning whether their ISO is genuine or not even if the file hash/checksums match.

Be technically correct, it stops any confusion.

Last edited:
Long-Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) excludes Windows Store, most Cortana functionality, and most bundled apps (including Microsoft Edge). Source.

To say it doesnt contain Cortana is misleading, it still contains some of it. It is better to be technically correct and say it has some Cortana. That will stop any confusion because if people are told LTSB doesnt have Cortana and after loading into NTLite they see it does have some then they will start questioning whether their ISO is genuine or not even if the file hash/checksums match.

Be technically correct, it stops any confusion.

This isn't even the part of my post that's important. It's pretty pointless to get hung up on words, and if people don't like that me saying that Cortana isn't in LTSB, because it isn't with exceptions to functionality tied in with Cortana, then that's their problem.

However if you can have MOST of Cortana removed but still have the Settings Search and other things that are removed now with NTLite, it should be possible to seperate them and make so you can REMOVE Cortana in NTLite, but it keeps the functionality for Settings Search, Tray/Start Menu Search. If LTSB can achieve it, then why shouldn't it be possible to do with NTLite on a Pro/Home version of Windows 10.

The whole Cortana itself is included in the exaggerated Enterprise LTSB, but it's disabled by Product Policy

you cannot separate Search from Cortana on components level
and Product Policy is protected by SPPSVC and Kernel, it cannot be permanently changed by the user

So it contains all of it but its just disabled and could easily be enabled by an update.

LTSB is a step in the right direction but it isnt the holy grail many think it is, look at a package list. :(

No it cannot be enabled :)

Education and ProfessionalEducation editions were also have Cortana Disabled, upto version 1607
since 1703 it's enabled by default, but can be disabled in Group Policy

No it cannot be enabled :)

Education and ProfessionalEducation editions were also have Cortana Disabled, upto version 1607
since 1703 it's enabled by default, but can be disabled in Group Policy

You seem to know a lot, so I hope you can answer this question; Privacy wise, is it enough to disable it as the LTSB edition does, or is it better to just remove it completely from a home/pro edition and break some other functionality it gives, like tray/start search?

You seem to know a lot, so I hope you can answer this question; Privacy wise, is it enough to disable it as the LTSB edition does, or is it better to just remove it completely from a home/pro edition and break some other functionality it gives, like tray/start search?

I'm not sure that sort of question is really answerable. "Privacy wise", nothing you do with Windows 10 (aside from unplugging the computer it's installed on) will ever be "enough" because Windows is closed-source. I know that's not the answer you want, but if you care about privacy at all, you simply have to switch operating systems.

"Disabling" Cortana, setting telemetry to "Security", and every other possible tweak you can do to windows, is nothing more than you asking it nicely "please don't track me." It's closed-source, meaning nobody except MS and the US gov't really knows what it does.

Unless you dont connect windows 10 to the internet then you will only ever play catch up and ms will always be 2 steps ahead. My major concern is how much telemetry affects performance and bogs the os down.

Unless you dont connect windows 10 to the internet then you will only ever play catch up and ms will always be 2 steps ahead. My major concern is how much telemetry affects performance and bogs the os down.

Unfortunately that's really the best anyone can do when tweaking windows... squeeze out a little extra performance.

The backdoors and spying will always be there. I wouldn't be surprised if most of it is hidden deep in the suspiciously large NT kernel.

And that is why ms is doing their damnedest to get everyone to use it. I will but i will never put it online.

Unfortunately that's really the best anyone can do when tweaking windows... squeeze out a little extra performance.

I always do that anyway, i know what the usual suspects are, i just need to know what and where other stuff is. :cool:

I'm not sure that sort of question is really answerable. "Privacy wise", nothing you do with Windows 10 (aside from unplugging the computer it's installed on) will ever be "enough" because Windows is closed-source. I know that's not the answer you want, but if you care about privacy at all, you simply have to switch operating systems.

"Disabling" Cortana, setting telemetry to "Security", and every other possible tweak you can do to windows, is nothing more than you asking it nicely "please don't track me." It's closed-source, meaning nobody except MS and the US gov't really knows what it does.

I mean, I get that. But that doesn't mean I should help them, I use VPN, I use simplewall to block a lot of connections I don't need to be made and I remove the telemetry with NTLite and also using Windows Spy Blocker to add some firewall rules.

Of course I can never know how much good this actually does, but it's better than nothing. So I ask again, would disabling Cortana using Product Policy be helping Microsoft to track me more than if I removed it completely with NTLite, or would it be same same and removing it completely doesn't do anything other than saving some space?

Had a look at at a ltsc preview, like the last version and near enough same size.

What do you think about this part then;

would disabling Cortana using Product Policy be helping Microsoft to track me more than if I removed it completely with NTLite, or would it be same same and removing it completely doesn't do anything other than saving some space?

Back