Windows 11: How to remove or disable ACPI to pass-thru my GPU inside a Windows VM under bhyve

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziomario

Hello.

What I would like to understand is why,when I try to pass my RTX 2080 ti from FreeBSD to Windows 11,it won't do it,causing the error 12. It says that it generates a resource conflict and requires additional installation).

I'm trying to debug the error. Below you see the IOMMU group of my Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 ti passed in a Windows 11 / bhyve VM and of Windows 11 installed physically. I'm not able to understand if there are inconsistencies.

Now,inside it I still see the error 12 :

The device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1E04&SUBSYS_250319DA&REV_A1\3&61aaa01&0&48 generates a resource conflict and requires additional installation.

I have more than one GPU. I have 3 gpus.

The ones you see below :

Code:
root@marietto-133:/usr/ports/www/chromium # lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 8th/9th Gen Core 8-core Desktop Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [Coffee Lake S] (rev 0d)

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6th-10th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 0d)

00:01.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x8) (rev 0d)

00:02.0 Display controller: Intel Corporation CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] (rev 02)

00:12.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Thermal Controller (rev 10)

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller (rev 10)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Shared SRAM (rev 10)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH HECI Controller (rev 10)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SATA AHCI Controller (rev 10)
00:1b.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #17 (rev f0)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev f0)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev f0)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z390 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller (rev 10)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH cAVS (rev 10)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SMBus Controller (rev 10)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SPI Controller (rev 10)
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V (rev 10)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 3GB] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti] (rev a1)
02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:00.2 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 USB 3.1 Host Controller (rev a1)
02:00.3 Serial bus controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 USB Type-C UCSI Controller (rev a1)

03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Micron/Crucial Technology P1 NVMe PCIe SSD[Frampton2] (rev 03)

What I'm doing is to choose (from the BIOS) this gpu and I assign it to the host :

00:02.0 Display controller: Intel Corporation CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] (rev 02)

at the same time,I reserve the RTX 2080 ti to a guest os (Linux or Windows),by declaring this parameter inside the file /boot/loader.conf :

pptdevs="2/0/0 2/0/1 2/0/2 2/0/3"

Take in consideration that it works inside the Linux vm,but NOT in the Windows vm,because there are some kinds of conflicts between resources that I need to understand.

I ran msinfo32 and then I checked the resource sharing and conflicts tab to see which devices are conflicting with each other and I found something really interesting :

Istantanea_2024-05-09_17-39-55.png

index.php

I'm not a developer,but I suspect that a patch is needed for bhyve. Windows needs that ACPI is enabled in bhyve,because I have disabled it between the bhyve parameters and this is what happened :

Istantanea_2024-05-09_18-06-03.png

I tried to disable it in Windows,but every time Windows restarts,it is restored. What's the method to disable it permanently ?

Attachments

• Istantanea_2024-05-09_17-56-58.png
    Istantanea_2024-05-09_17-56-58.png
    22.7 KB
Mario,

You've cross-posted this question to many forums, and other variations on the same theme since 2021.

NTLite forum is a community for users making custom Windows ISO's, by using the NTLite app. While we do answer a few Windows questions, this is a highly technical and narrow question which should be addressed by the FreeBSD & bhyve community.

Disabling ACPI typically creates bad side effects on a running system, especially over GPU drivers.

I don't see anywhere in your previous posts, whether you determined if this problem exists in a bare-metal Windows setup or under Windows Hyper-V, which is the native solution. In either case, you're barking up the wrong tree. This ain't the right place to ask.

---> You've cross-posted this question to many forums, and other variations on the same theme since 2021.

more the question is difficult,more developers should be reached to be solved. In case you thought that I make spam: I don't think mine is spam. I'm trying to solve a problem that affects those users who have switched to FreeBSD and want to use it in a desktop-multimedia environment.

---> While we do answer a few Windows questions, this is a highly technical and narrow question which should be addressed by the FreeBSD & bhyve community.

Sure,I posted also there,ma not only. In some cases like this,the correct place to ask is somewhere. Infact "how to disable ACPI on Windows 11" is a question that belongs to a Windows forum.

---> Disabling ACPI typically creates bad side effects on a running system, especially over GPU drivers.

thanks for giving me this clarification. Anyway,as you can see,the questions I make since 2021 aren't exactly the same each time,but there are variations. That's because I'm trying to evaluate the problem from different perspectives.

You could have avoided focusing your attention on the purpose of my project but do it on the specific question I asked, which is in line with the site where I posted it, because it has already been asked. I proposed it again, because the topic was not well developed : here :

---> I don't see anywhere in your previous posts, whether you determined if this problem exists in a bare-metal Windows setup or under Windows Hyper-V, which is the native solution.

For sure not,my RTX 2080 ti works great out of the bhyve hypevisor. And I can pass it without errors if I use a KVM hypevisor.

---> In either case, you're barking up the wrong tree. This ain't the right place to ask.

Again,if you want to help me,please try to keep your attention focused on the question that I've asked,not to what I want to do. Otherwise you make me feel out of place. But since I asked a question relevant to the site (because it's been asked before), I'm in the right place. And my question is part of an ongoing research process on bhyve, it's not just a single question. I cut my teeth on this hypervisor. And I tell you that it can behave in his own way and for this reason I want to try different methods for provoking a reaction from it,because I want to understand which route I should follow.

Last edited:
Do you understand what this community is for? It's for supporting modded Windows images. Your question is spam, because it's mostly irrelevant to folks here. Have you confirmed it works the same on Hyper-V? No, of course not, you're using bhyve on FreeBSD. Neither of which are native Windows solutions.

There are no devs lurking here, other than NTLite's author, who by the way pays this site's hosting costs. And I don't need attitude. One of my friends was a FreeBSD dev who's recognized for making a significant contribution to an industry-standard web backend.

And he would agree, you're out of turn. This is a device driver or virtualization question that only a qualified dev can answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back