Windows 12 Rumors

Hm, that sounds like what Windows 10 S was, a locked-down OS.
We'll see, they need to compete with Windows 11 and Linux, if it goes into mobile-like mode and Store-only apps, it may be a big mistake.
I hope there will be a choice of edition or a feature lockdown.

:eek:. Cant see it being "store only apps", there is a lot of professional software out there and they wont put up with that crap not to mention all old(non store) software not running on it.
As they alluded before, the "legacy" apps will get a VM layer to not complain. Look at it as a sandbox.
But that also means bye tweaking apps, at least the direct kind, maybe the image edit will remain.

It's a natural progression of Windows virtualizing everything. So your apps live in what's essentially a Docker environment. You end up customizing the container, instead of Windows -- which just becomes a hypervisor.

I'm skeptical CoreOS can be ported/integrated in the W12 development time. It sounds too ambitious, other than releasing the first app environment so devs can get used to it. Then W13 can roll out with ready-supported apps.

the way microsoft is going, if rumours are true, then all ican say is . bring back Sinclair BASIC

hopefully they will allow customisation at install. like windows 98 did, combined with 98lite. a basic "how do you use your computer".

There must be 2 models:
- one is Surface+Apple-like, max profit including hardware. Lock it down to Store only, Arm-based optimized Microsoft chips. You can feel the push to Arm and Store for some time now.
- and the other, Linux model, "open" as the current Windows 11, goal is to create Devs for the first model.

To get it straight, it's not evil per say, the casuals vs DIY-ers is always a separation, it's just Microsoft is so big it can tackle both.
As said at the start, I would be surprised that they stop the attack on any of these fronts, so in conclusion we should be safe not needing to go to Linux for more control.

I think the main concern will be how fat these operating systems are becoming, and not because of performance, but rather dependencies. The bigger Windows becomes, the more dependency issues you run into when slimming it down because you have to remove more and more. It's going to become a buggy mess at this rate to use NTLite on Windows 14 or whatever because there will be so many components that it will be completely overwhelming and unmanageable for most people, even veteran NTLite users, and at some point for Nuhi too.

I only need about 20 simple tweaks to make XP "great", but Windows 10 took me 800 hours and over 500 tweaks to make it "acceptable" for me, and that effort scales with the operating systems in between. At this rate, Windows 12 and beyond won't be worth tweaking anymore because most people just don't have that kind of time, knowledge, or skill.

Last edited:
At some point Microsoft needs to rebuild Windows from the ground up. I saw this in game development too, parts of a game became so bloated and filled with band-aid fixes that in order to do any more fixing or add-ons you have to rewrite it all from scratch and refactor the entire thing, using optimized and proper coding that allows you to more easily maintain and modify it. Otherwise, if you try to touch that spaghetti code it would unravel in your hands and the game breaks. Windows has clearly reached this point with Windows 10/11 because of the combination of compatibility and bloat.

Windows 12 will be very telling of the future because it's the next in line for the series of "good" operating systems. Historically, Microsoft releases a popular version of Windows every other release (XP > 7 > 10) and the "experimental" operating systems being in between (Vista > 8 > 11) so there's a good chance we'll find out where Microsoft's future operating systems are headed when Windows 12 arrives.

At some point Microsoft needs to rebuild Windows from the ground up.
Not going to happen because of backwards compatibility, which is why VAR's are loyal to MS. Unless MS declares the official solution is running an entire VM container to run all legacy Win32 apps. Which will probably happen.

Apple's completely changed their OS twice, and forced users to eventually throw away old apps that don't exist now. Their user base tends to be more technical and agile. Good luck with migrating your parents and grandparents to a new Windows.

Cruft is the penalty tax for backwards compatibility.

The first person to mention React OS will suffer a painful death and even more painfull afterlife.

Back