Windows 7 Build On A New Motherboard - Keyboard and Mouse Don't Work During Install

hesdeadjim

Hello everyone :)

After reading countless threads about this, the problem seems to be that the new motherboards use USB3.0, and the drivers are not included in Windows 7.

Some motherboards have USB 2.0 slots as well or legacy bios settings, but my motherboard has niether. The soultion presented is to use a manufacturers patch to modify the boot file and insert the proper drivers into the Win 7 iso file.

I tried that with the original Win 7 iso and the Win 7 iso that had all the updates added with NTLite and it still didn't work. I even tried to add the drivers in while building the new iso with NTLite and that didn't work either.

Is there a way to use NTLite to modify the boot file as well so the drivers will be active during setup?

Thanks. :)

**UPDATE**

It seems i was wrong about my motherboard issue. The drivers won't make a difference either way because as soon as the installer takes over from the bios, all power to all USB ports is cut, so even if the proper drivers were there, the usb drive no longer has any power and the install would hang anyway. As to why the power is cut remains a mystery. I am hoping support wil have an aswer for me soon.

I hope this helps others who may be having the same problem. My motherboard is an ASRock350 Pro4 and I did check the ports with a meter to be sure.

Last edited:
You can integrate drivers to the boot.wim for the boot support, please see here for a guide.

I like usb2 for all its slowness and i always keep a usb2 backplate, see pic, and a 4/5port usb2 pci card, belkin and dynamode do them with the nec chipset for 5gbp or less. I have heard that some usb audio interfaces perform better on usb2 and when its the only thing connected to 1 controller.
615FzpB7wiL._SL1328_.jpg

Last edited:
Back