Windows 7 - Removing Media Center breaks one driver

I'm not so sure that this is an NTLite bug as much as it is a Microsoft bug. I'd appreciate input though, and whether or not you think it is possible to fix within NTLite in a future release. If not, it's not too big of a deal for me to just keep Media Center in the install.

Removing Media Center breaks the driver of one particular device - a sound card. For the sake of reproducing the symptom, this is the link to the smallest official driver for Windows 7 x64:

I first discovered this issue inside a Windows install that I created with NTLite 1.8.0.7070 where Media Center was removed. Inside the OS, all executable installs of the drivers for this sound card would fail, and manual attempts to install it within device manager would indicate that the drivers that I pointed to didn't exist - no matter which variation of them for this device.

I thought that I'd be able to integrate the driver in a new iso with NTLite, but it also errored out when trying to integrate that driver with error code 0x00000002. I managed to pinpoint the issue, again, to the removal of Media Center. Removing this seems to have a tendency of breaking things.

I soon after found this article, which I thought was related, but that didn't seem to be the case.
"HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" already existed in my Windows 7 install created using NTLite with Media Center removed.

Is this something you think can be fixed within NTLite? I'm not holding my breath, but am in no rush. I won't need my final ISO for at least 3 months. And if it's not something that can be fixed within NTLite, I'll just keep Media Center in there.

Thanks.

Attachments

• mediacenterissue.png
    mediacenterissue.png
    57.4 KB
Potentially fixed in 6795, thanks for your input over private messages.

Let me know when you confirm, take your time.

Hi,

Rather than using the beta one, I used your newest release version and I was able to integrate the sound card driver in NTLite after removing Media Center. Although, I haven't tested to see if the problem still exists on a live install, I am certain that there will be no issue and that this problem is fixed. I will let you know if I do test that in the future and there is an issue.

Thanks!

Back