Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed

KaptanJackSparrow

Anyone have any Idea why this is happening ?

Attachments

• Can't Write Boot Config.jpg
    Can't Write Boot Config.jpg
    65.7 KB
  • Boot Wim 3 Works.xml
    7.2 KB
  • Install Wim 3.xml
    11.6 KB
  • autounattend.xml
    4.3 KB
First question is does it happen on the non-edited ISO, and what do I have to do exacly, minimum steps, to see that error?

Thanks.

This can be related to drivers integration. Have you integrated them into boot.wim?

Yes I have integrated generic USB 3 drivers and necessary updates into the boot.wim. I have successfully made a working installation based on the discussion here.

The updates were integrated into boot.wim - Microsoft Windows Setup, Boot.wim- Windows PE and the install.wim - Windows 7 Ultimate the drivers were only integrated into boot.wim - Microsoft Windows Setup and Boot.wim- Windows PE based on the suggestion of ege914 and the result was a install-able version of vanilla windows 7 SP1. So awesome I installed that into one of the partitions on the hard drive and it's still running.

I made a backup of the working folder and working Iso let's call it version 3 for consistency purposes (even though it's actually my 9th attempt as revealed by the Install wim.xml ;) )

knowing that version 3 works I used version 3 as a starting point for a second pass with Ntlite to make version 4. it is version 4 that is not working. I am attempting to install a second copy of windows 7, window 7 version 4 onto the same hard drive in a 200 gb NTFS partition adjacent to the partition containing Windows 7 version 3

In Version 4 I left the boot.wim alone and didn't try to integrate any additional drivers, I only changed install.wim - Windows 7 Ultimate, created an unattended.xml and removed the unnecessary versions install.wim - Windows 7 Home, install.wim - Windows 7 Pro, install.wim - Windows 7 Basic,

so the problem should be in one of those two files. the most notable changes were the removal of windows defender, cache and temp files, and Disk cleanup.

First question is does it happen on the non-edited ISO, and what do I have to do exacly, minimum steps, to see that error?

To answer this question directly, a non-edited ISO won't install at all on this computer due to lack of usb 3 drivers even though the ISO is good, Version 3 installs without issue, Version 4 does not install so the minimum steps to see this error would be the changes in Install wim 3.xml and/or in Unattended.xml

Last edited:
Back