Windows Management Instrumentation

Lildidi

Have anybody removed this?

Windows Management Instrumentation(Service)
>Windows Management Instrumentation(Core)
These two tiers are locked by: Recommended, Windows Activation, Windows Update

>>Windows Management Instrumentation(Providers)
This tier is locked by: Recommended, Hyper-V Host, Visual Studio

There's this WMIProviderHost (wmiprvse.exe) bugging me as it's constantly trying to make connections which I block with my firewall.
Is it the third on the list(Providers)?

For all 3 of them notes also say "most windows based software will not function properly without this".
Can I get rid of at least the 3rd WMI (Providers) ?

Last edited:
Almost all programs won't work if you remove WMI service and core (the same applies if you keep WMI service and core but disable it in services page).

Some programs would need WMI Providers.

Very few programs (don't know any, yet) would need WMI tool.

In the "Extra info" field you can read 'Visual Studio'.

I don't work with too much software and as i don't use Visual Studio, i have removed.

Well I install visual c++ for some games to work, is that related with visual studio?

Well I install visual c++ for some games to work, is that related with visual studio?
The visual c++ runtimes are needed by programs built in Visual Studio (in the c++ language) and is not the same to Visual Studio, a programming language program.

Lildidi, you can test it yourself in a virtual machine with your programs, or live, but then you can use the Host Refresh to revert back the component if needed.
Note if you remove any Windows Update needed component, you will need to update with Host Refresh (depending on the speed of the machine, can take around 30min to upgrade).

Lildidi, you can test it yourself in a virtual machine with your programs, or live, but then you can use the Host Refresh to revert back the component if needed.
Note if you remove any Windows Update needed component, you will need to update with Host Refresh (depending on the speed of the machine, can take around 30min to upgrade).

I understand nuhi, but it takes time to get comfortable with your OS and see what's actually going wrong with it.

So some feedback from experienced users are beneficial.

People work differently, have different needs and differing amounts of time availible. You need patience and time. Its how i got 1.16gb installed for windows 7 64bit.

Live removals. An absolute god send. Do live removals in batches, 4 components at a time, reboot, you soon find out when something breaks and you will only have 4 culprits. Try doing that with a full untested preset.

Test removals in sections, Drivers and Hardware Support 1st. Once you get a safe to remove list, move onto Locations/Keyboards ans languages. These are easy. And so on.

I only remove any networking component when i barebone because i dont know a lot about the subject. If i go Lite i keep them all in.

Back