Windows Update not downloading updates

bandrade

Hi all,

I've purchased a license and had a play around with the software. I created a config that is almost ready to use, minus a couple of issues, one being that Windows Update does not download updates.

For the time being, the final image will be installed on a number of laptops of different models. When installing (as a test) on a certain laptop, the trackpad doesn't work, and it would be good to be able to get it to work by downloading the drivers from Windows Update. However, nothing else. I'm trying to make it so that I can only download and install Drivers from Windows Update.

However, as it stands right now, Windows Update does find all sorts of updates, but I can't even select the ones I want and download, because they fail to download, giving me a download error (0x80040154), which from a quick Google search I gathered that it's an issue with a missing DLL or Windows Update component, which doesn't surprise me.

I have attached my preset, and was wondering if the veterans could help me out here.

Thanks in advance.

Mod note:
Redacted Admin password from preset.

Attachments

• Exams V0.18-GB.xml
    18.3 KB
Last edited by a moderator:
try changing <Feature enabled="no">WindowsUpdate</Feature> to yes and see if that works

It seems to me the goal here is to use component removals to create a Kiosk (link1, link2, link3), which is essentially a desktop without any start menu or taskbars, and the user only sees a few shortcuts to click on. Universities often have a Kiosk where students can change courses, etcetera. It's a much more stable and safer way for sysadmin to manage a scenario like this, since it's far less volatile than component removals. Also, check out the Pearson LockDown browser, it's used for remote proctoring of tests and can lock the desktop.

If you want to keep exploring this through removals though, you need to know about Windows Update...Downloading and installing updates after removals have been done can restore components and apps that were uninstalled, as well as putting various settings back to their defaults, thus undoing your removals and registry tweaking. To avoid this problem the most popular options are:
1) Uninstall, Disable, or Pause Windows Update forever. People who adhere to this approach tend to take the latest official ISO from Microsoft that is released around November of each year (which includes all updates to that point) and do a clean install annually to get updates baked in, while being free from the burden of the Windows Updating feature and its overhead.

2) Manually run Windows Update through the Microsoft interface, or by using the custom Windows Update tool that is built into NTLite. The NTLite updater is more advanced, by allowing users to deselect individual updates like we could in older operating systems. After updates are done through either method, you must reapply your removals and tweaks with the "Remove reinstalls" button in NTLite.

Last edited:
For the question about drivers, that's not the right way to fix this situation. Instead, focus on finding the removal/setting responsible for breaking the trackpad, because that's the actual root problem. Any other solution is just treating one of the symptoms and may not fix everything.

If you really don't care and just want the answer for drivers, this guide (link1) will pause the automated features of Windows Update and the Microsoft Store, including preventing drivers, but if you edit the attachment and remove the "SearchOrderConfig" tweak it will allow drivers to install even when Windows Update is paused forever, which is what you are asking for. Try the attachment on a default ISO (link2, link3) to see if it works the way you want, because it isn't going to work right on a modified Windows install where the update feature is already broken.

Note: Changing the user agent of your browser to ChromeOS or using a Chromebook to visit those ISO pages will result in them displaying a special link that is normally hidden from Windows visitors, which goes to the actual ISO download rather than the MCT (Media Creation Tool).

Last edited:
I wouldn't remove Client.CBS (for a normal user environment), no matter what you hear.

Back