WindowsClient.CBS required to install UWP Packages and use Mail and Calendar

lenkarin

Hi nuhi,

This is time I want to report a issue that maybe users already have or didn't get yet, so I edit a ISO of Windows 10 21H1 and I clean the C:\Windows\SystemApps folder and just keep the folders I will use.
So, the steps to do for see the problem is install windows and them backup C:\Windows\SystemApps folder, after that use the scripts attached, to do this just drag number 1 and number 2 to PowerRun executable.
And you will have the following folders
  • Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy
  • Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_cw5n1h2txyewy
  • Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy
  • ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy

After that I use this website: https://store.rg-adguard.net/ (sorry if I cannot share third party link, just need to reproduce the issue)
And use Msft-Apps-Links.txt attached and them I copy the URL from the Desktop App Installer and them paste in the search and press enter, after that I download the files
Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_2021.618.1855.0_neutral___8wekyb3d8bbwe.Msixbundle
Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.30035.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx

After that I go to the folder I save these files and them open powershell as admin in the folder, and type
  • Add-AppxPackage Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_2021.618.1855.0_neutral___8wekyb3d8bbwe.Msixbundle
  • Add-AppxPackage Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.30035.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx

After that I back to https://store.rg-adguard.net/ (sorry if I cannot share third party link, just need to reproduce the issue)

And do the same for Microsoft Store, and this time instead use powershell, I double click in the file and you will see "Error parsing the package."

And if you try to use Mail and Calendar, you will see that you cannot use the app, the app keep loading the content forever.

If you restore the folder MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_cw5n1h2txyewy to C:\Windows\SystemApps and double click to .appx file you will see that now you can install the UWP package and you can load mail and calendar content.

Attachments

• scripts-to-check.zip
    450.1 KB
  • Msft-Apps-Links.txt
    5.2 KB
While you've solved this question, it deserves a better explanation.

Mail and Calendar (microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe)'s AppxManifest.xml lists two required packages:
Microsoft.UI.Xaml, Microsoft.VCLibs​

Windows.Client.CBS (Component Based Servicing) is an UWP "roll up" package which includes many, unrelated features:
System tray and Taskbar extensions​
TextInputHost (International & onscreen keyboards)​
Iris Service (webcam support)​
Screen clipping​
Cortana (desktop search)​
StartMenu​
W11 GetStarted (WebExperienceHost)​
Windows React extensions (JavaScript for UWP apps)​

Mail and Calendar includes DLL's for TextInput and React.UWP -- which require the listed Client.CBS features to work.

Why isn't Client.CBS marked as a required package? It can't be removed by Apps & features, so Windows has no reason to expect it gone.

Back