discussion

1. Hellbovine

Discussion: Wi-Fi CloudCheck by ASSIA

I hunted down an interesting bug recently, regarding Internet Service Provider (ISP) software and Wi-Fi. It reached a conclusion after 12 weeks, and many people will want to hear this because it might apply to you or people you know. The issue is that in some circumstances, users on any internet...
  2. M

[Discussion] Default ComboBox behavior in NTLite

Giving any ComboBox focus aka. clicking on value, changes the value to the next from the list. To avoid this, user has to click on the button that's aligned to right of the box. Personally I expected that a single click on a ComboBox didn't change it's value. I wonder how others feel about...
  3. Hellbovine

Discussion: Driver Cleanup

This is a praise post, but also designed to bring attention to a feature I recently discovered in NTLite, which isn't mentioned often on the forum. In the driver section is a button labeled "Exclude unused" which solved a problem that was otherwise going to take a long time for me to figure out...
  4. Hellbovine

Discussion: Reserved Storage

I read a number of articles recently on "Reserved Storage" which was introduced in Windows 10 a few years ago. I was still left with some questions though, and so I want to ask everyone that has been disabling it, have you noticed any issues besides the obvious problem you would run into if you...
  5. Hellbovine

Discussion: NTLite Usage (Poll)

Something I have pondered about is what the statistics look like regarding why people use NTLite, so I made a poll. Please keep in mind this is supposed to be fun and interesting. If it becomes popular enough, NTLite could refer to this poll as a form of feedback to help prioritize where future...
  6. Hellbovine

Discussion: NTLite Methodology

Does NTLite change its registry tweaks or component removals based on the detected operating system? EXAMPLE In this circumstance, which of the following does NTLite do, assuming I'm on W10: 1) Applies only the 2nd registry key for just W10 and W11 systems as a user would expect. 2) Applies...
  7. Hellbovine

Discussion: Edge Chromium Updates

I wanted to ask the community about some of the ways to prevent Edge Chromium from automatically updating while idle at the desktop, as well as automatically updating when the browser is launched. There is going to be dozens of ways to achieve this, but the hard part is finding one that meets...
  8. Hellbovine

Discussion: 22H2 Task Scheduler Bug

Update: September 1st, 2023 (Unresolved) This post explains about a bug that affects the Task Scheduler in Windows 10 and 11, version 22H2. I discovered that a bug prevents the scheduler from properly finishing its tasks, which means it continues to run forever and consumes extra resources...
  9. Hellbovine

Discussion: Windows Market Statistics

The following data may help people in their decision making when it comes to questions, such as which Windows to use or what hardware to build a computer with. None of these stats are perfect since Microsoft doesn't release this information, so we're relying on third party sources, but it is...
  10. Hellbovine

Discussion: Pagefile (Poll)

This is a place to explore the Windows pagefile, and I am opening up the conversation with a poll. Please discuss the reasons behind your choice, benchmarks, testing, white papers, and other data, but refrain from linking to regurgitated articles or disreputable sources, and be prepared to...
  11. Hellbovine

Discussion: Translations and Interpretations

Something I've noticed is how impressively diverse this forum is, far more than any other place I've visited before. We have many members here that speak either more than one language, or that are non-English speakers and translate their posts. The question I want to ask is if there are some...
  12. Hellbovine

Discussion: Network Discovery

I'm trying to figure out which registry key is responsible for a scenario when I install Windows 10 without internet. At the desktop if you plug in the ethernet cable it will suddenly give you a very finicky pop-up that asks about network discovery and quickly disappears if you click somewhere...
  13. Hellbovine

Discussion: Power Plan Attributes Key

In the registry under the power plans, the "Attributes"=dword:00000001 will hide a setting from appearing inside the control panel power options in the advanced settings page, but I cannot find official documentation on the values, and this could matter for the reasons listed below. 1)...
  14. Hellbovine

Discussion: Component Policies

I noticed while making images that NTLite will perform some registry tweaks silently. For example, if I uninstall the OneDrive component, NTLite will also add in a group policy (GPO) registry tweak that disables OneDrive, in case the component ever returns, such as during a Windows Update. The...
  15. Hellbovine

Discussion: Spectre and Meltdown Mitigation

The Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities were patched in the year 2019, but the issue is that Microsoft fixed it with a solution that decreases performance. Intel and AMD worked on microcode updates, and fixed these problems in future processors too, but users of older hardware may want to...
  16. Hellbovine

Discussion: User Tracking

I'll eventually figure this out on my own as I make my way through the pile of registry tweaks I'm testing, but to help speed this up I'm hoping someone knows the answer to this one, since it's quite the annoyance. Anyone that uses registry comparison tools will likely be familiar with the...
  17. Hellbovine

Discussion: Image Failure

I started importing services registry keys into my image and it's the first time my installs were met with a Windows Setup blue screen error saying, "Why did my PC restart?" I'm on Windows 10 21H2. Eventually I'll figure it out myself, but maybe someone else already knows? The services I...
  18. Hellbovine

Discussion: Sleep Study

I was researching how to disable the SleepStudy feature in Windows 10, which creates a bunch of .etl files, and runs on my computer although it has all forms of power savings disabled. I found an article by the Microsoft Defrag Tools team (link) and e-mailed them, asking how to disable it. I got...
  19. Hellbovine

Discussion: USB Fails to Boot

I tried to boot to my USB stick to install Windows and it acts like it's about to boot into the USB drive to load Windows Setup, but the screen boots back into Windows and brings me to the desktop instead. I thought my tweaks were the problem, except I then tried an unmodified Windows 10 21H2...
  20. Hellbovine

Discussion: NTFS Indexing Option

Does anyone know of a way to have the disk properties option of "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" default to unchecked on a clean Windows install? Reading through another thread (link1) gave some good insights to investigate, but it seems that it...
Back