Hellbovine

I wanted to ask the community about some of the ways to prevent Edge Chromium from automatically updating while idle at the desktop, as well as automatically updating when the browser is launched. There is going to be dozens of ways to achieve this, but the hard part is finding one that meets some guidelines. Basically, the solution has to be clean and official, not a hacky method of deleting edgeupdater.exe or similar.

Criteria for this request:
- Works on Home edition
- Works on version 21H2 or higher
- Does not uninstall Edge
- Allows users to use Edge if desired
- Allows Edge to be updated by visiting the "About Microsoft Edge" page
- Uses registry keys to achieve the action (if possible)
- Does not rely on group policy keys (if possible)

Last edited:
Before I stumble down this road any further than I already have, I wanted to ask the community about some of the ways to prevent Edge Chromium from automatically updating while you idle at the desktop, as well as automatically updating when you open the browser [...] but the hard part is finding one that meets several criteria:

- Allows users to manually update Edge by visiting the "About Microsft Edge" page within the browser
- Uses registry keys to achieve the action (if possible)
- Doesn't rely on group policy keys (if possible)

Ideally I'd like to get the version of Edge that comes pre-installed on 21H2 fixed. Basically, the solution has to be clean/official, it can't be a hacky method of deleting the edgeupdater.exe or whatever, that's not my style. I know what I'm asking is difficult, and so I realize that it will probably only be people that enjoy troubleshooting or that have already achieved this that will respond, or I may not get an answer at all and have to figure it out on my own.

Chrome is hardly designed to self update, I can't tell about it on my live OS because I have removed edge, but you can find a reg key that disables the edge update services. While "Chredge" have 2 services that NTLite can disable, I'm not sure if there are edge update tasks in the scheduled tasks, G chrome installs as service and as scheduled tasks.

Back