Apply Changes to WIM Without Compression?

Sinical

I've noticed that NTLite still halves the WIM file size even when ESD export isn't selected. So I suspect some sort of compression or optimization is going on beyond just removing components. I really don't think I remove 4GB worth of components. Can anyone help me address this or find out what's happening here? I wan't to be able to apply changes to WIM without any kind of compression.

WIM images are compressed archives, it's just ESD requires more CPU time to achieve higher compression. Whenever images are edited by DISM, they must be converted to WIM. After you're done updating, deployed images may be WIM or ESD format.

There is no flat (uncompressed) format. So whenever NTLite unloads an image, it's saving it back as a compressed WIM. That's how all Windows image tools work.

I also use MSMG Toolkit since it allows me to remove some thing the Free NTLite does not. Should I use NTLite before or after MSMG Toolkit? It seems MSMG has some wim compresion it applies aswell, so mainly I'm worried about double compressing and messing something up.

The general rule is don't mix & match (NTLite vs. MSMG/WinReducer) for removals and non-KB updates. NTLite is more "by the book" in following the same rules as Windows, and the other products bend the rules more. Which leads to image errors when transferring btw tool kits.

WIM formats are correctly handled by all modding tools. This isn't a factor.

The general rule is don't mix & match (NTLite vs. MSMG/WinReducer) for removals and non-KB updates. NTLite is more "by the book" in following the same rules as Windows, and the other products bend the rules more. Which leads to image errors when transferring btw tool kits.
The stuff that MSMG lists is also the same stuff thats only available in the Paid License for NTLite so nothing is being removed that NTlite doesn't also allow removal of.

That's not the point, we have many threads where someone complains their MSMG/WinReducer image doesn't work in NTLite.

You're free to do whatever you want, but don't ask us to support images made by a non-NTLite tool. If it works, great for you.
We're NTLite forum, not intended to be a generic Windows modding site.

You're free to do whatever you want, but don't ask us to support images made by a non-NTLite tool. If it works, great for you.
We're NTLite forum, not intended to be a generic Windows modding site.
Nobody's asking you to support or endorse anything. All I'm asking is if the two would conflict or work against eachother. Sorry for asking questions. I'm done, don't worry.

Back