Cannot install Some Microsoft Store apps

linkprogrami

I have this annoying problem that I am at my wits end to fix,
Below is the preset I use for NTLite, but it always leads to same issue:

When I try to install Microsoft Teams store app, I get 0x8A150006 error. When I try to install Instagram app, I get 0x80073CF3 error.
I use same similar preset for Windows 10, and it leads to same issue.

Majority of other apps can be installed with no issue, and preinstalled Windows apps update with no porblem.

Mod note: Redacted product key from preset.

Attachments

• VirtualBox_Sunoctane Slugger_21_02_2024_12_04_58.png
    VirtualBox_Sunoctane Slugger_21_02_2024_12_04_58.png
    326 KB
  • W11-2024.xml
    16.3 KB
Last edited by a moderator:
1. Instagram app requires a minimum version of Edge browser. You won't see this error message, unless you're trying to sideload the app. This preset disables Edge Updater, so you need to re-enable it or manually install the latest Edge for Business MSI.

2. I can't figure out why Teams doesn't install from the Store. There's a Squirrel installer error log, but it's not very helpful. After trying several different combinations of reverting preset changes, I wasn't able to find the reason. You can download the Teams web installer, and not bother with the Store version.

You have two workarounds. If you really don't like them, then be prepared to undo parts of your preset. Store Apps have a dependency on the Windows Update or USO infrastructure to get things done. I don't know if your Event Log removals are problematic, but after spending a few hours testing multiple images the answer won't be that obvious.

Attachments

• Windows 11 x64-2024-02-21-18-37-17.png
    Windows 11 x64-2024-02-21-18-37-17.png
    350.1 KB
  • Windows 11 x64-2024-02-21-22-25-22.png
    Windows 11 x64-2024-02-21-22-25-22.png
    380.2 KB
  • Windows 11 x64-2024-02-21-22-30-30.png
    Windows 11 x64-2024-02-21-22-30-30.png
    212.4 KB
1. Instagram app requires a minimum version of Edge browser. You won't see this error message, unless you're trying to sideload the app. This preset disables Edge Updater, so you need to re-enable it or manually install the latest Edge for Business MSI.

2. I can't figure out why Teams doesn't install from the Store. There's a Squirrel installer error log, but it's not very helpful. After trying several different combinations of reverting preset changes, I wasn't able to find the reason. You can download the Teams web installer, and not bother with the Store version.

You have two workarounds. If you really don't like them, then be prepared to undo parts of your preset. Store Apps have a dependency on the Windows Update or USO infrastructure to get things done. I don't know if your Event Log removals are problematic, but after spending a few hours testing multiple images the answer won't be that obvious.
Thank you for the insight Garlin, was not aware Microsoft lodged their browser so deep in system scheme that even the updater is now a dependency.

As for teams, I did the same (multiple separate tests) and did not get a culprit pointed out. What worries me is that, if one thing is broken than easily some other can be as well. Will do some more testing because at this point I suspect something to do with privacy settings, or some other weird setting in regards to user account. But thanks to Hellbovine registry thingy I do not modify the Windows Updates anymore.

That will take years by which time johnny user has already been screwed, its a game that ms are always ready to play and are prepared for and not worried at all. The only thing availible to johnny user is a little reverse ----ery and as someone who doesnt mind doing things post install if needed i am not averse to. You dont fight xenomorphs with harsh language.

Last edited:

BTW I just did a test, and yea... IT is the Edge updater (in case of Instagram, still Teams issue but I bet its something even dumber). Would never guessed its something that stupid.

Thank you for the insight Garlin, was not aware Microsoft lodged their browser so deep in system scheme that even the updater is now a dependency.
Facebook is requiring you to update Edge browser. The developer mandates what the app package's install dependencies are.
Most likely they're lazy and want to use the latest & greatest Chrome features.

As for teams, I did the same (multiple separate tests) and did not get a culprit pointed out. What worries me is that, if one thing is broken than easily some other can be as well. Will do some more testing because at this point I suspect something to do with privacy settings, or some other weird setting in regards to user account. But thanks to Hellbovine registry thingy I do not modify the Windows Updates anymore.
I doubt it's related to privacy settings. Teams is being installed for all users, and most privacy tweaks manage data collection when the desktop is launching user applications. My guess is it's related to system telemetry.

I doubt it's related to privacy settings. Teams is being installed for all users, and most privacy tweaks manage data collection when the desktop is launching user applications. My guess is it's related to system telemetry.
Did a ton of test so far and gotta tell you, this is maddening. Sometimes, Teams install with no issue, and sometimes it doesnt. Using the same ISO. Right now I am trying to figure out wtf is going on, as I am using same virtualmachine. Started suspecting sometihing with my network at this point.

I have uninstalled windows updates and just use Ntlite for my installs and the store still works(cannot remember what I all removed at this moment for window update however)

Hope this helps a bit till I take a look

I have uninstalled windows updates and just use Ntlite for my installs and the store still works(cannot remember what I all removed at this moment for window update however)

Hope this helps a bit till I take a look
I find this a bit impossible, tho it depends what version of OS you are using. if you are using RTM versions of Win10, sure, as Store was not tied to windows updates (if I recall correctly). But over times they changed so many things, you cannot even download drivers online from Device manager anymore.

Just giving my last report about this issue, as I installed an unmodified ISO from Microsoft and still got the 0x8A150006 issue when installing Teams only! Tho once in a while after a clean install it just installs with no issue (even on heavily modded iso). Not a single other app is causing this. This happens even after update install, store update, after Edge update and after installing MS WebView. I think this app is officially cursed.

M
Just giving my last report about this issue, as I installed an unmodified ISO from Microsoft and still got the 0x8A150006 issue when installing Teams only! Tho once in a while after a clean install it just installs with no issue (even on heavily modded iso). Not a single other app is causing this. This happens even after update install, store update, after Edge update and after installing MS WebView. I think this app is officially cursed.
My store has been super slow downloading as of late. Nothing has changed and was fast before. Think it's not our end but there's

Back