Diablo IV WerFault: (E_OUTOFMEMORY)

coax256

I would like to thank those involved in this beautiful NTLite program. It was definitely worth the money.

Have any of you gamers ran into a werfault or fenriserror while playing Diablo IV? I never experienced it on the full blown bloatware windows the past few weeks since I bought the game until i made this custom windows install. So far any other game I have played has been fine. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this as google search results haven't yielded much for a solution.

Thanks.

regarding the errors for Diablo 4, a quick google search has recommended that any code issues be sent to Blizzard;s official support forum where they cover them in detail by each code. From my understanding , they use Fenrir as a bug catching tool. but that is only from what a google search has provided.

the Werfault issue, that is a different issue as it is more windows related, and usually there is a code with it

Other than "Secondary Logon" service for Battle.Net, nothing is known to cause issues.
Diablo 4 I played on a Lite template, had no issues.

Regarding the "WerFault.exe", it is a Microsoft 32-bit process named Windows Error Reporting (WER) Fault Reporting in "C:\Windows\System32", (or "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" on 64-bit Windows systems).

Did you do anything with this on your build? Check it if it comes up anything in the logs which might help lead to a fix.

Being a big fan of Diablo.....Diablo 4 was the first game I didn't buy. Just never felt any interest in it

Did you do anything with this on your build? Check it if it comes up anything in the logs which might help lead to a fix.
I used the Optimized Image guide and removed windows apps except photos and calculator. I silent installed Firefox and 7zip. Then setup the user profile. Other than that I followed the guide. Maybe I'll have another go at creating a custom iso.

Are you referring to Diablo 4 logs or?

I attached a fenris debug. I skimmed it and there shouldnt be personal information. I'm seeing this though "[Prism] pmDevice::CreateRenderPipeline() - Error : OutOfMemory, SystemCode : 0x8007000E (E_OUTOFMEMORY)".
Being a big fan of Diablo.....Diablo 4 was the first game I didn't buy. Just never felt any interest in it
I played the beta and wasn't into it. I wasn't planning on buying it but I saw friends playing. I'm into in more now than in the beta.

Attachments

• FenrisDebug.txt
    196.9 KB
After filtering your debug log by error message:
Code:
[Game] [15.09.2023 10-55-27][streamline][error]dlss_gentry.cpp:522[updateEmbeddedJSON] Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows OS needs to be enabled - please see https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling/
[Game] [Out of Memory] Diablo IV ran out of memory.
[Game] [Prism] Out of memory when creating buffer
[Game] [Prism] Out of memory when creating texture
[Game] [Prism] pmDevice::CreateRenderPipeline() - Error : OutOfMemory, SystemCode : 0x8007000E (E_OUTOFMEMORY)
[Game] pm_dx12::Device::CreateBuffer: CreateCommittedResource Failed - Error : OutOfMemory, SystemCode : 0x8007000E (E_OUTOFMEMORY)
[Game] pm_dx12::Device::CreateGraphicsPipelineState: CreatePipelineState Failed - Error : OutOfMemory, SystemCode : 0x8007000E (E_OUTOFMEMORY)
[Game] pm_dx12::Device::InitTexture: CreateCommittedResource Failed - Error : OutOfMemory, SystemCode : 0x8007000E (E_OUTOFMEMORY)

Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling

1694797766732.png

After filtering your debug log by error message:
Code:
[Game] [15.09.2023 10-55-27][streamline][error]dlss_gentry.cpp:522[updateEmbeddedJSON] Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows OS needs to be enabled - please see https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling/
[Game] [Out of Memory] Diablo IV ran out of memory.
[Game] [Prism] Out of memory when creating buffer
[Game] [Prism] Out of memory when creating texture
[Game] [Prism] pmDevice::CreateRenderPipeline() - Error : OutOfMemory, SystemCode : 0x8007000E (E_OUTOFMEMORY)
[Game] pm_dx12::Device::CreateBuffer: CreateCommittedResource Failed - Error : OutOfMemory, SystemCode : 0x8007000E (E_OUTOFMEMORY)
[Game] pm_dx12::Device::CreateGraphicsPipelineState: CreatePipelineState Failed - Error : OutOfMemory, SystemCode : 0x8007000E (E_OUTOFMEMORY)
[Game] pm_dx12::Device::InitTexture: CreateCommittedResource Failed - Error : OutOfMemory, SystemCode : 0x8007000E (E_OUTOFMEMORY)

Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling

View attachment 10370
Beat me to it Garlin, also just a quick question what video card do you have.

Never mind I see it in the log

It very well could be HAGS as the problem so toggle that and test it, but there are people playing the game with it turned off so the culprit is likely elsewhere. Something is clearly eating a ton of memory on your machine, since it was maxing out at 16 GB of usage in that log. The Optimized Image uses 1 GB to idle at the desktop, and Diablo 4 requires at least 8 GB extra, which means the other 7 GB or more is being eaten by a bug, too many things running in the background, or some other issue.

Do a reboot, then after you reach the desktop bring up task manager, wait 5 minutes, then report the CPU Processes, Threads, and Handles, as well as Memory. I suspect these stats will all be quite high while idling.

Last edited:
Do a reboot, then after you reach the desktop bring up task manager, wait 5 minutes, then report the CPU Processes, Threads, and Handles, as well as Memory. I suspect these stats will all be quite high while idling.
I been out on the creek all day. Computer been off all day. Came home and I was playing a good 30 minutes before it crashed.

Attachments

• aftercrash.PNG
    aftercrash.PNG
    50.2 KB
  • cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    48.1 KB
  • memory.PNG
    memory.PNG
    44.1 KB
  • resource_monitor.PNG
    resource_monitor.PNG
    97.1 KB
This is looking like it's unrelated to tweaking since your idle is fine and others are complaining on Reddit and such. Probably just a bug in Diablo, which makes sense because it's only 3 months old, and every AAA title nowadays typically needs 6-12 months to fix the major issues.

Thanks. I set it to system managed on my games drive. No crashes. It's been running beautifully and stutter free. It would of taken me a while to figure that out. I must of passed this reddit up while looking at other search results. What a memory hog. I reckon I should upgrade my memory. According to Diablo IV system requirements https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/251518 I'm running a 1440p monitor in high D4 settings.

Attachments

• After_pagefile_enable.PNG
    After_pagefile_enable.PNG
    47.2 KB
Something else that could be a culprit too is recent Windows Updates, since I noticed you're using 22H2 in the log. How were your updates installed (NTLite integrated/downloaded, through WU, etcetera)? It has likely undone a lot of the tweaks from the optimized image, if Indexer/Superfetch are hard at work they can eat up a lot of memory. Also, is Defender running? But yeah, I haven't seen a 32 GB game requirement yet until that support article...

Last edited:
I guess 32 GB memory is the new standard :p I'm curious to see what PS6 and such decide to go with when those get announced!

Last edited:

Seems like a lot of people are having the issue and all for different reasons.......

one suggestion i have seen posted is, whether it is applicable to your settings or not , is.. " You either have to disable Nvidia broadcasting or DLSS/DLAA in-game. Keeping them both enabled causes this ‘‘out of memory’’ crash. "
Another suggestion i have seen is ... " In Task Manager, I noticed that Diablo IV was for some reason using my integrated GPU instead of the RTX 3070. So, I went to LocalPrefs.txt in the Documents\Diablo IV Folder and edited the line Adapter “0” —> Adapter “1”. Then Diablo IV ran perfectly fine after that."

Personally i cannot confirm if either work, so it will be a case of trying it or looking into it more....

Personally, i'm happy with my 1070, and my 16gb. diablo was good back in the day....

Seems like a lot of people are having the issue and all for different reasons.......
Good find, there was even a guy in there that had 64 GB and it still crashed. That makes me feel a ton better, I was feeling way too old there for a second, lol.

Memory leaks behave intermittent and unpredictable, so I would definitely ride it out for a month or two to see if they fix it, but with how cheap memory is, it might be worth it to double up. Pagefile works too, it's just slower, and in unoptimized game engines you want all the performance you can get.

Last edited:
Back