Host Updates on Non-Host machine

Roguelock

Hi all, bit of a novice question: I've been using NTLite to deploy Windows 11 on a few machines for work as a test and it's gone well, but I realized after the fact that I removed Internet Explorer... which is apparently (ridiculously) needed to install any sort of Adobe software. On my host machine this was not a problem since I just used the Host Updates feature to reinstall it, but I'm stuck on how to do this on the other machines short of re-installing a new image on them completely (which I can do, it's just time consuming). There are around ten of them, so I don't want to have to install NTLite on all just to do host updates, but beyond that or reimaging I'm unsure of a solution.

I removed Internet Explorer... which is apparently (ridiculously) needed to install any sort of Adobe software

I have just tried on my image (without Internet Explorer and Chromium Edge) and my customized Adobe Acrobat Reader 2024 installs just fine. Which Adobe software is it specifically? Do you mean Adobe Acrobat Pro or Adobe Creative Cloud?

I have just tried on my image (without Internet Explorer and Chromium Edge) and my customized Adobe Acrobat Reader 2024 installs just fine. Which Adobe software is it specifically? Do you mean Adobe Acrobat Pro or Adobe Creative Cloud?
Acrobat Pro and Creative Cloud, both have the same issue. I get an 'Error 717' which is the error related to IE--reinstalling IE on my current machine fixed the install issue. I don't think Reader has the same requirements.

Adobe installers require the IE11 compatibility libraries. Keep "Edge (Legacy)" component in your image.
If you only have 10 PC's, just settle for installing the browser and moving on.

I'll do that, though I'd really like to know if there's a way to do what I initially asked (making updates without installing NTLite on the machine) in case I run into other problems with the image in the future. If not, I'd rather re-image them while I have the time.

Technically yes. But if these were production PC's, no because there's some risk of disruption to the users.

Host Refresh is NTLite invoking what is essentially a repair reinstall. You could do something similar outside of NTLite, by creating a revised image (same one plus the missing browser libraries), and reinstalling that on top of the live system. That will work, but depending on how its done, there's the risk of messing up some existing app or user profile settings.

I don't know what type of NTLite license you have. Unless it's Business license, then running Host Refresh locally will consume new activations. It's more what is less risky in your environment. Installing a browser on 10 PC's is a hassle, but disturbing users who may not have time for unexpected downtime is one of those tradeoffs where you decide the browser is a better choice.

That's just my former IT voice speaking.

Technically yes. But if these were production PC's, no because there's some risk of disruption to the users.

Host Refresh is NTLite invoking what is essentially a repair reinstall. You could do something similar outside of NTLite, by creating a revised image (same one plus the missing browser libraries), and reinstalling that on top of the live system. That will work, but depending on how its done, there's the risk of messing up some existing app or user profile settings.

I don't know what type of NTLite license you have. Unless it's Business license, then running Host Refresh locally will consume new activations. It's more what is less risky in your environment. Installing a browser on 10 PC's is a hassle, but disturbing users who may not have time for unexpected downtime is one of those tradeoffs where you decide the browser is a better choice.

That's just my former IT voice speaking.
Completely understood. No current issue of disruption to users since no one is using these yet--I only discovered the issue setting up a few test profiles that needed Adobe, since ideally I'd like the bugs worked out before these are deployed to users.

It is the Business license, but I'm unsure if I want to add NTLite to the machines anyway, since eventually it'll be more than ten, though that/Host refresh may end up being the best option. Would it be an issue to install NTLite as a portable program to a USB and run it that way, or is reinstalling a revised image on top of the live system the best--also, what's the best way you recommend doing that? (I'm realizing it's more than just IE that's an issue, unfortunately, since some of the software our users use apparently also depends on MSMQ, or else just downloading the browser would be the best option.)

I've never used the Business license. This probably where you should DM nuhi and ask for his advice.

The one thing I noticed is while NTLite.exe has command-line arguments, none of them support Host Refresh automation. That would be an useful improvement if there's a fleet of PC's, regardless of whether the app is installed locally or portable.

Back