Installing Windows 7 on AMD Socket AM4 (Gigabyte B450M DS3H)

ThatOtherGuy

Hello all,
im new here and kinda in a bind.
I am needing to do a install of Win7 64 pro, i have the dvd and got the process started.
Background is the wifes comp that has some OS dependent software died, i cant get the same hardware so i got parts that have W7 support but the installer keeps asking for a driver but wint specify what driver. I have tried tons and no luck.
So that landed me here, downloaded all the drivers for the install and trying to integrate here.

I got the drivers unzipped and when i loaded them into the tool, but it gave an error regarding incompatible hardware. Well yes it is, this is for an AM4 board which doesnt currently work, and imndoing it on my W10 intel board so of course it wont be compatible BUT they dont need to be.

How do i go about getting past this?

Clanger's our resident guru for W7 on (unsupported) newer HW. What's the exact motherboard, and other details (NVME, SSD, USB3?)
Are you including the drivers in both boot.wim & install.wim images?

Clanger's our resident guru for W7 on (unsupported) newer HW.
Only on intel 8/9th gen, H310C(R2.0) and B365, stuff i use.
Getting w7 running on new hardware is a mixed bag, if TOG has 8/9th gen intel we should be able get him up and running here.
If not there are threads at win-raid and mdl which could help him.

Pointless going any further until TOG tells us Exactly what hardware he has.

Last edited:
B450M DS3H Ryzen 5 3600
Sata3 SSD.
According to the info i had it is supported. But i can see how far that has gotten me so far.
I have a copy/paste of the windows cd on my hdd, i used that for the OS part.
Then have a folder with several drivers for the board i just pulled down from Gigabyte for the board.
When i got them into ntlite it kicked back an error about incompatible hardware. I assumed this error was because it saw my hardware on the system im making it on and said those drivers dont with with this board. I guess i am wrong there and its complaining about the drivers and W7.
This is as far as ive gotten, not sure where to go from here.
Im happy for any/all advice here.

ThatOtherGuy Your problem pops up here from time to time, we have some existing threads(one is mine) so it might be best to put all eggs in 1 basket, or just cross link to them. Im gonna rename this thread because the title doesnt match what you need to do.

I stopped using amd a few years ago so i need to refresh the old grey matter.

Ahh ok, this is my first since my socket 1207 Opteron. Im more used to Intel, but this checked the boxes, on paper at least, and the combo was on a dirt cheap sale that would use RAM i already had.
Cool on the rename of the thread as this is evolving and not the problem i misunderstood the error initially.
Yeah some links would be great. Or steps, however we need to get it to work.

First up, a few considerations.

Windows Update will be blocked an AM4, you will get an "unsupported hardware" warning, therefore you will need to build an updated image somehow, i build my w7 end of life capture on old supported hardware, i will leave creating an updated image to other people who know more than me on that subject.

AMD doesnt say Windows 7 is supported on Ryzen 5 3600, but it says Windows 7 is supprted on the AMD Chipset Driver v2.17.25.506.
Capture.JPG

Gigabyte also says the B450 chipset supports Windows 7.
Capture2.JPG

So assuming that AMD and Gigabyte aint full of it it should be possible.
Note - Assuming my memory serves me well(it is bullet proof at times) the actual chipset installer must be used because it forces the driver signing during installation. This may not be the case now, it was on FM2+.

The way it is looking at the moment id give it 50/50 on installing Windows 7 on AM4 and that wifey may well be out of luck.
I have XP era software working happily in w10 1809(ltsc) without any problems.

Chew on that lot while i do some testing for this, be back later.

Double check that your graphics card has windows 7 drivers, if it doesnt that may put the brakes on this.
Please let me know ASAP before i do any testing.

Last edited:
Getting windows 7 working on new hardware can be a complete PiTA. Windows 10 sucks monkey balls. Frying pan or fire :rolleyes: :mad:

My honest opinion
put windows 10 on it and be done with

I want to move her to w10 BUT she is resistant and she has a deadline. That is long term plan.

As for video driver yup we got those, that part is a non issue.

What she wants and what is technically possible are 2 different things, i keep telling people that.
An old used dell that came with windows 7 from the factory may not be a bad idea.

Step 1.
Load your w7 image into ntlite, get updates with ntlite update downloader, integrate, save - Apply.
Get chipset driver 18.10.0813 from gigabyte, install windows 7 and add the drivers according to the instructions in those 2 videos then report back.

Give me a link for the driver package you previously tried to integrate but failed in ntlite please.

Last edited:
OK just got up, getting back to it
I didnt see a hardware ID on the error screen never got to the drive section just install Windows button and the error about needing a driver.

I will follow the steps above, question. Once i integrate the updates, and save. Can i load that again or am i just adding the drivers on a separate drive like the vids show? I couldnt get it to detect a different a different thimb drive just the driver dvd. Not sure i have any burnable media either or a burner anymore.

I cant select an ISO
I can select a copy of the os dvd on my hdd. But it shows only language packs available in updates
When i try to have ntlite access the dvd itself it says the “file currently busy or access denied. Sometime due to antiviris background scanning….” its turned off and i have retried. No change.

I know that cant be right about only having language packs because this dvd was bought within the first fee months of W7 release.

Oh joy, you got iso issues now and im just about to be off for the night.
I will leave you to sort out the iso issues and i will carry on as if you dont have iso issues.
Follow the "interesting stuff" link in my signature, look for iso downloads, there will be official(direct from MS) and unofficial links(other places), ideally you want a SP1-U iso, the U standing for media refresh iso.

I have extracted the drivers from AMD_Chipset_Software_Win7_2.17.25.506(got direct from amd).
Add them to install.wim and boot.wim - microsoft windows setup, save = Apply. Install.

Taosd is on Ryzen 5 5600 and A529 mobo, what os you use toad?

Attachments

• AMD_Chipset_Software_Win7_2.17.25.506.zip
    1.4 MB
Clanger you are a saint. I will grab that iso and keep going.
Once this is up and going i owe this community a collective beer!
Getting back at it.

Back