Laptop crashes 1x at least, every day, followed by immediate reboot (ProtonVPN)

KatzWo

According to EventViewer:

Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created. Use the string "000000000100320000000000D71000C011010000250200C001000000000000000000000000000000" to identify the interface for which initialization failed. It represents the MAC address of the failed interface or the Globally Unique Interface Identifier (GUID) if NetBT was unable to map from GUID to MAC address. If neither the MAC address nor the GUID were available, the string represents a cluster device name.
Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created. Use the string "000000000100320000000000D71000C013010000250200C000000000000000000000000000000000" to identify the interface for which initialization failed. It represents the MAC address of the failed interface or the Globally Unique Interface Identifier (GUID) if NetBT was unable to map from GUID to MAC address. If neither the MAC address nor the GUID were available, the string represents a cluster device name.

What can this be?

it looks like it could be an incompatability issue. have you tried uninstalling vpn and seeing if it crashes ?

This is a Windows topic, no reason to think that it is caused by NTLite.
Plenty of results online, search something like:
event 4311 crash

Also try uninstalling driver of the network adapter (ticking to delete driver cache while doing so), and fallback to default Windows driver.

I am using ProtonVPN. I have never had this problem with ProtonVPN before, however.
Try removing the VPN just to see if it still happens. At lease we can clip a few branches to see what's broken. Does the lockup happen randomly?

In the mean time, did you do anything else to the laptop that could help us out? You could also try removing/uninstalling the internet driver(just make sure you have the driver on hand) and letting the laptop sit over night and see what happens.

event 4311 crash

Also try uninstalling driver of the network adapter (ticking to delete driver cache while doing so), and fallback to default Windows driver.
I did post it in general, right? Or can you only post NTLite-related stuff on this entire forum?

event 4311 crash

Oh crap he beat me to the punch haha

it looks like it could be an incompatability issue. have you tried uninstalling vpn and seeing if it crashes ?
No, what I have tried is un-installing then re-installing VPN, and still keep crashing.

Try removing the VPN just to see if it still happens. At lease we can clip a few branches to see what's broken. Does the lockup happen randomly?

In the mean time, did you do anything else to the laptop that could help us out? You could also try removing/uninstalling the internet driver(just make sure you have the driver on hand) and letting the laptop sit over night and see what happens.
Nope, nothing else. I have never had this problem, or any problem with or without VPN before, by the way. This thing is 2-3 days old.

I went into Device Manager and tried to update every single network adapter, and all of them were already up-to-date. I am so confused haha.

1 - uninstall VPN
2 - uninstall the driver
3- remove everything related to it including: DriverStoreExplorer
4- reinstall the driver (the one from the manufacturer)
5 - update the driver including: IObit Driver Booster Pro 9.4.0.240 Portable
6 - play with VPN and you will know what causes the error.

try removing and NOT installing vpn
As we said try removing the program for awhile and see.

I had issues one time with an ad blocker and Netflix/videos for all things. It got fixed after a few updates but it took time to see what was causing it and uninstalling then reinstalling is not enough at the moment.

I think this is probably a NetBIOS issue. I had similar problems on XP.

Try and see if one of these resolves it:

1) Start > Windows System > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > right-click on the internet adapter you're using and select properties > uncheck everything except Internet Protocol Version 4 (unless you're actually using IP6 which most people aren't) > press ok, exit out of everything, reboot the computer.

2) Go back to that exact same properties page again from above, then left-click on IP4 and click properties > click advanced > go to the WINS tab > disable NetBIOS > save and exit then reboot.

3) Alternatively you can disable the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service. I used to actually use the 'sc delete' on this one in XP. But I do not know if in newer Windows it's now responsible for other things, so be careful of that.

My theory for you, is whenever the laptop loses connection (wifi) and has to reconnect, there's a conflict with DHCP somewhere and it crashes. Just a guess though.

Last edited:
I did post it in general, right? Or can you only post NTLite-related stuff on this entire forum?

So you're cross-posting identical questions in other forums?
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/top...st-1x-every-day-followed-by-immediate-reboot/

I don't really care what other sites you visit, but if you're taking advantage of them -- please be polite and don't flood this site with too many non-NTLite questions. We have a lot of new registered users, and I would like to hear from everyone else.

Google informs us VPN users often get this error.

What I would do is find the most recent crash dump, and install WinDBG from Store. WinDBG did an amazing job last time I helped someone to identify what syscall is throwing an error. That info might be useful to the ProtonVPN support team.

So you're cross-posting identical questions in other forums?
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/top...st-1x-every-day-followed-by-immediate-reboot/

I don't really care what other sites you visit, but if you're taking advantage of them -- please be polite and don't flood this site with too many non-NTLite questions. We have a lot of new registered users, and I would like to hear from everyone else.

Google informs us VPN users often get this error.

What I would do is find the most recent crash dump, and install WinDBG from Store. WinDBG did an amazing job last time I helped someone to identify what syscall is throwing an error. That info might be useful to the ProtonVPN support team.
I have created a custom .wim file. I have also loaded it in NTLite. If I want to deploy this image on a physical laptop (I created it in a VM), do I make the ISO out of the (altered) install.wim file or SysPreppedImage? NTLite lets me do either.

1661530350440.png

Also prior to loading it, I replaced the default install.wim file with the altered .wim file (that I created in the VM via WinPE --> DISM) in the Sources folder of the Win10 installation media

KatzWo, I can't help but feel like you're overcomplicating things for yourself, based on your threads. I don't think it's just you, I notice a lot of people do that, and I think you're running into so many random issues because of this. Instead of spending time troubleshooting these rare scenarios, it would be more efficient to approach it differently and just avoid the problems entirely.

Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish as a whole, for example "I need a Windows image I can install on 3 different home machines." That would help us guide you better. Right now we're focusing too much on treating your symptoms, rather than curing the root of the problem.

I would recommend putting your image on hold and reading through the 3 guides I posted this week. Even if you're not new to this stuff, I've still put 30 years of information into those guides, and it might give you a new, simpler approach to take:

https://www.ntlite.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-ntlite-for-beginners.2979/
https://www.ntlite.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-installing-windows.2986/
https://www.ntlite.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-optimized-image.2990/

Back