Make unattended file creation a standalone tool like the Updates downloader

whiggs

Hello. I consider myself to be extremely knowledgeable when it comes to customizing windows images and customizing windows install media, and am quite capable of doing the majority of what I need on my own using the windows adk. However, one of the features that I consistently use NTLite for is the generation of the unattend.xml files that are capable of automating the entirety of the windows installation and basic setup. That being said, your tool would be so much more convenient if this unattended file creation tool were made available without the need to mount an image, kind of like how NTLite allows the user to access the windows update download utility in the tools menu. Just a thought.

You dont need a seperate tool to do unattend files but i agree it would be handy to just do an answer file without loading an image.

Last edited:
Hello. I consider myself to be extremely knowledgeable when it comes to customizing windows images and customizing windows install media, and am quite capable of doing the majority of what I need on my own using the windows adk. However, one of the features that I consistently use NTLite for is the generation of the unattend.xml files that are capable of automating the entirety of the windows installation and basic setup. That being said, your tool would be so much more convenient if this unattended file creation tool were made available without the need to mount an image, kind of like how NTLite allows the user to access the windows update download utility in the tools menu. Just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion.
While I do understand that loading something for a minute can be annoying, the values for selection crafted for that image are in that image and thus listed.
It's not a static choice for some things inside it.

Is there anything else other than waiting a bit for the load that makes you wish for a imageless Unattended tool?
It's not impossible, just would need a good reason to spend time on it, compared to other potential upgrades.

Thanks for the suggestion.
While I do understand that loading something for a minute can be annoying, the values for selection crafted for that image are in that image and thus listed.
It's not a static choice for some things inside it.

Is there anything else other than waiting a bit for the load that makes you wish for a imageless Unattended tool?
It's not impossible, just would need a good reason to spend time on it, compared to other potential upgrades.
I am aware of this. However, aren't the specific values that your unattended file creation tool allows the user to configure the same regardless of windows version? If your unattend tool allowed for more advanced unattend file configuration, I can see where what you describe would be an issue. However, when it comes to the bare basics required to perform a fully automated installation of windows, I am pretty sure the values are the same from windows 7 onward. Might be something you would want to consider is all I am saying.

For the most part, unattended files are the same from W7 to W11 except for OOBE and GPT disk layouts. After making one I like, I usually just copy it from one ISO folder to another to save time. NTLite could remember your favorite unattended settings as a "default". This would be easier than trying to load two or more presets to merge their settings.

If you're going to rework Unattended, I'd want a Post-Setup like screen where I can add specialize commands to the answer file. That opens up a lot more flexibility, and brings NTLite closer to WSIM in missing features.

I am aware of this. However, aren't the specific values that your unattended file creation tool allows the user to configure the same regardless of windows version? If your unattend tool allowed for more advanced unattend file configuration, I can see where what you describe would be an issue. However, when it comes to the bare basics required to perform a fully automated installation of windows, I am pretty sure the values are the same from windows 7 onward. Might be something you would want to consider is all I am saying.
To consider it I need an actual reason, to me avoiding loading for something that is a part of the whole package (updates, settings, unattended, automation), is not worth splitting.

For the most part, unattended files are the same from W7 to W11 except for OOBE and GPT disk layouts. After making one I like, I usually just copy it from one ISO folder to another to save time. NTLite could remember your favorite unattended settings as a "default". This would be easier than trying to load two or more presets to merge their settings.

If you're going to rework Unattended, I'd want a Post-Setup like screen where I can add specialize commands to the answer file. That opens up a lot more flexibility, and brings NTLite closer to WSIM in missing features.
Uu I like that, Post-setup page would then have Machine/User/Unattended|Specialize
Potentially a 3-tab interface?

Was planning to split Settings into tabs as well, Settings/Event Log/Services/Extra Services
Only block to that effort is the fact that tabs would add extra clicking and virtually hide functionality for beginners.

Tabs way to go, or there is a better way? I don't want to bloat the left main menu, already too crowded.

Tabbed UI would be the best way to go.

Post-Setup
Machine / UserSpecialize

This keeps the same UI for most users, and adds Specialize for advanced users.

Settings
SettingsServices / Extra ServicesEvent Logs

Most important/most used is left to right. And Event Logs shouldn't be where gamers beginners start since they tend to disable everything.
Event logs should be grouped by wevtutil classes, so you can disable entire classes by one click.

Tabs way to go, or there is a better way? I don't want to bloat the left main menu, already too crowded.
What about make it like a Tree?

Auto-Expanded on click would be ok on Integrate and Configure and collapse on click other pages.

Is it too much work?

I'm not using Unattended page for a long time (barely working with NTLite), Always use an already made and customized with extra options.
There are options in unattended page that can be set in the Windows registry but there are missing options that also can be set in the Windows registry.

I have set this in the unattended file:
Launch a cmd script in Specialize stage
Muted the startup sound (will change to reg file all related to unattended setup)
Pin programs to taskbar
Show/Hide Bluetooth icon
Show/Hide Windows Media Player
Show/Hide Internet Explorer
Custom Internet Explorer options

Also :
Launch a small script that lows the sound volume to 2 on boot/reboot on logon (changed these days to a reg file instead of unattended).
8 options in OOBE are reg file integrated

nuhi Imagine already modified ESD with XXX images. For example 100+, converting to WIM will take a lot of time. All needed attributes can be readed from ESD to support non-mounting Unattended creation wizard.

I don’t see any reason why not to add into main toolbar Unattended wizard, to be able create / modify Unattended after whole imaging process.

Imagine already modified ESD with XXX images. For example 100+, converting to WIM will take a lot of time.
Would you like to make unattended files for each edition?
There are images for specific languages, that would be too many unattended files.

A long time ago, I have asked nuhi to what this thread is intended for, but makes sense to load an image when the languages are read to show in the available languages list.

I don’t see any reason why not to add into main toolbar Unattended wizard, to be able create / modify Unattended after whole imaging process.
I have used the same unattended custom file for the last 2 years, if something has been added or removed in that page, I don't really know but the unattended page really helps to start, used for long time.

Probably as a premium feature would be ok.

Back